MMA best of the 2010s - discussion thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 11:05pm
Hexen sounds like it might be up my alley. Will definitely give that one a listen before finalising my best of the decade submission. Thumbs Up
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

^ Sounds like it might be worth checking it out. I'll give it a listen.
you will be pleasently surprised. i wish this album would have done better and was better known. it deserves more recognition. its virtually unknown. at least i got my buddy into it
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

-I'm trying to limit the number of releases per artist, especially from very prolific musicians

I decided on a self-imposed limit of 2 albums per artist, and preferably 1 if there is a clear standout in their discography.

I'm also gonna need to pick a date by which to finalize the 50 albums, or else there is no hope of getting them sorted LOL
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 10:46am
^ Sounds like it might be worth checking it out. I'll give it a listen.
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 7:11am
no one talks about the band Hexen. fuck i love the band Hexen. the first album State Of Insurgency is just straight up pure thrash with hints and glimmers of what they would do on their next album. their second and finel album Being and Nothingness is a fucking prog thrash masterpiece. i haven't found any other proggy thrash album that can touch it's brilliance. such a god damn shame this band doesn't exist anymore. Being and Nothingness is one of my top 5 favourite albums of the 2010s period. it is so hard to even pick out a favourite track. i can't even imagine what music the follow up to being and nothingness would have sounded like. here is the album cover 

Edited by vmoore - 28 Feb 2020 at 7:14am
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

If anyone is interested, based on ratings and reviews left alone, these are the site's top 100 albums of the 2010s.

5 of those are definites on my list, and there's a few that might with a re-listen.

As far as the lack of ratings go, yeah right now it's just the active forum users (which aren't many) mainly that are rating things. I have a couple suggestions though of getting more people, Discord and Plug.dj servers would be a good way to do so.

Edited by Unitron - 27 Feb 2020 at 3:54pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 3:22pm

One of the more interesting developments of this decade is Darkthrone completely abandoning black metal to channel their inner Motorhead/Venom/Celtic Frost

I'm not a huge black metal fan, but I've been quite interested in the rise of the anti-fascist side of it. Bands like Gaylord, Neckbeard Deathcamp and Dawn Ray'd.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 2:33pm

If anyone is interested, based on ratings and reviews left alone, these are the site's top 100 albums of the 2010s.

Interesting to see that at least 8 of those will probably make my top 50. 
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 11:12am

Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

I have rated/reviewed seven of those, and had to go all the way to 39 to find the first one!LOL

Only 1 album there that has made (the current draft of) my list, Triptykon at #35, though a couple others that barely didn't make the cut

I'm not very active with ratings/reviews though

I have bouts of it. I haven't managed a review in a while, but some days I go through and click a few stars. I'm trying to be more proactive on it with new stuff I hear. With the make up of the users here, it's often the only rating those releases get.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

I have rated/reviewed seven of those, and had to go all the way to 39 to find the first one!LOL

Only 1 album there that has made (the current draft of) my list, Triptykon at #35, though a couple others that barely didn't make the cut

I'm not very active with ratings/reviews though

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 27 Feb 2020 at 11:07am
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 10:50am

One of the more interesting developments of this decade is Darkthrone completely abandoning black metal to channel their inner Motorhead/Venom/Celtic Frost

Well they brought it back somewhat on the last two. Not exactly A Blaze in the Northern Sky anymore though. LOL
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 10:49am
There's a lot of albums I like in there. But it's kinda of a problem isn't it: we get so few ratings it only takes a few people with similar taste and our charts are completely dominated. We need more people rating/reviewing albums!
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 10:23am

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 7:45am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 5:17am

GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 11:46pm
^Title track sounds really good, that'll probably end up making my top non metal list.

If you like that sound, I can recommend some of Eat Static's stuff, this song in particular: 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 11:19pm
^ They also released a non-metal EP in 2014. No dubstep (that I recall), but RYM filed it between space ambient and IDM. 

GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 11:29am

https://open.spotify.com/album/5PXXQiqStTTfM3goTYoihp

The dubstep bit is in the title track. 

Listened through some of it, sounded good though it has the same issue that I have with Apartment 26's Music for the Massive. When the dubstep and other non-ambient electronic elements are there, it sounds REALLY good, but I don't think they utilize them enough. I'll be looking forward to seeing if they do on their next album though.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 4:34am
Started some relistens now and re-ranking my list as I go. Good thing, because I already have one that wasn't on my first draft ranked higher than some that were. Right now I have eight albums that I feel are ranked correctly in relation to each other. Ones I've played today or very recently. The rest will probably look very different to what I posted in my first draft. 
GG2U

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 2:59am
I feel like I could probably get a list of 50 and only have black metal on it to be honest. But I will try to vary it as much as possible. Just trying to narrow down all my five stars for now. I sometimes forget to leave ratings though, so I don't have an easy list to check. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic