MMA Best of Year 2019 Results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MMA Best of Year 2019 Results
    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 10:48am
Nice to see our #1 also got a lot of love over your side. Would have been pretty awesome if we'd both voted the same album as #1, but pretty close is good too. Cool

And damn you guys really need the tag by album feature the two newer sites have. It seems ridiculous that any Opeth from the last ten years is tagged as Tech/Extreme. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 12:41am
That’s an interesting list. Not heard the IQ release as my focus has been over here and I listen to far less prog than I used to, but I’ll need to pick that one up. A good few others I’d like to hear too.
tapfret View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 12:22am
Just posted the Progarchives 2019 Collaborators top albums today. I definitely don't go as deep in the list for cover art or descriptions.

As usual a lot of crossover on the 2 lists. As a matter of fact, Waste of Space Orchestra is in the exact same #8 spot on both lists.
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 7:23am
Nice work everyone. Sorry that I did not take part this year. I guess I lost track of this place for quite a while. Glad to see you're still about.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 1:54pm
PM's would have gone out today if the site hadn't been down, so those will have to be forthcoming. For now, I'm pleased to announce a special follow-up event to this: The Best of the Decade 2010 - 2019!

Don't panic, we're running it until the end of June so you can spend as much time on your submissions. Cool

Further details may yet be announced/changed but we wanted to get this up as soon as possible. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 4:15pm
The US listings have the terms and shipping information laid out pretty clearly most of the time, maybe UK sellers are different, but you're pretty much safe as long as you go with a seller with a 99%-100% rating and also has many ratings. 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 4:02pm
I've used it a couple of times. Prices vary greatly. My previous experiences with it were a success and I got some better deals than Amazon or ebay could offer, but some listings tend to look a bit iffy. I'm not sure how regulated it is compared to ebay (as one example). Some sellers write listings in such a way that breaks UK law on distance selling and when you get that I just know if something does go wrong they are going to be a pain in the arse to deal with. So I don't bother. I've only used Discogs as such when all terms are laid out clearly and don't try to extort extra shipping for registered post by claiming they are not responsible for loss if only regular is paid for (sorry sellers, but you are responsible until that package arrives with the buyer regardless of what was paid for, not when you want to shirk it). 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 3:48pm
Have you tried Discogs? That's what I use mainly when I can't find something at local record stores. I looked something up with the UK shipping prices for within the UK, and it doesn't look bad: https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/1055667848 (I know this probably isn't something you'd want, but just as an example)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 3:45pm
Probably like business sellers based here they can set up an arrangement to send as many (or at least a very high volume) of packages for one set price. Individual (unsigned) artists cannot do that because they'd never sell enough (or even press enough copies) to make it worth it. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 2:22pm
Not quite sure how they justify the high postage charges. It's clearly a means of charging more for the album in a lot of cases. For example All Your Music in the USA charge £1.26 postage for a CD on Amazon and they're still usually one of the cheapest on the CD itself so not bumping up the cost to cover shipping. If they can do it...
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 7:24am
I have bought a few physical copies from Bandcamp profiles but anything I've looked at lately has had the postage cost gone not just through the roof but into orbit. I bought both previous Wilderun albums from there (the second even came with a hand-written thank you note for the support) but when I looked at Veil of Imagination the cost was around that of a second CD. And that's the norm even when the band I look at is from the UK like Dark Forest. 

I know that shipping from the States into the UK is quite expensive but I really can't afford to be doubling (or more) the price per album and that's before considering that the UK has a cap on the amount of money something is valued at before they wrack their own import fee on you (a few years ago it was almost another £10 and I can only imagine it's exceeded that now). If I'm not careful a single imported CD can suddenly set me back in excess of £30. 

So my habits for listening to music have changed greatly unless I can get something either cheap enough from the US (there's a few sellers that remain competitive but no chance direct from artist), in the UK itself or from within the EU (which for all I know is also going to be fucked up once our grace period is over - thanks a lot Brexiters). 

I did fork out for the pre-order of Mare Cognitum and Spectral Lore's upcoming split, around £20 with P&P but I don't mind so much because it is almost two hours long and another act would charge at least £12.99 for about forty minutes. 
GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 4:07pm
I mostly buy albums on Bandcamp now

edit: digital copies that is

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 21 Feb 2020 at 9:38am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 3:24pm
Possibly but for the amount I use it it's not really worth it. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 10:25am
Can't you get deals for cheap or free Spotify Premium with your phone or anything? That's how I get mine, and I listen to it for 6-8 hours a day at work.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 12:47am
I usually run it off my my TV to be honest. Sometimes on PC. The adverts don't bother me enough to be worried about any work around, though around Christmas I was ready to scream if I heard 'so here it is Merry Christmas' in the background of an ad one more time...Wink I do miss the days when Ad-Block worked though. Ad-block's day is over. Too many websites can block the ad-blockers now. It became more trouble than it was worth. That's why these days I use Gener8 instead. I get a few non-intrusive ads and can earn money back for my own pocket with it. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 12:41am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

2. I don't own a CD player anymore so most of my music just ends up getting played digitally and I can do that for few on Spotify who have almost everyone I want if I just put up with a few adverts (and I've learned to).

You can kind of get past the ads by using the web player and refreshing the page as soon as the first ad starts and after it reloads it won't play an ad. Not ideal like when adblock used to work with it, but refreshing works well enough for me as long as I'm not doing anything else while it's playing.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 11:50pm
There's quite a few from last year that under earlier circumstances I might have bought but didn't because of one or two reasons:

1. Fucking expensive (Wilderun for example has never released their albums beyond their own store and import cost from US is horrendous now).

2. I don't own a CD player anymore so most of my music just ends up getting played digitally and I can do that for few on Spotify who have almost everyone I want if I just put up with a few adverts (and I've learned to).

That said there are a few here I'd still like in my proper collection: Avatarium, Wilderun (seems a fat chance, but you know), Blood Incantation, Arch/Matheos, Nile, Waste of Space Orchestra... ah what am I saying, there's still hell of a lot I would like to own properly. But for now I have to put up with Spotify. 
GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 10:10am
Thanks for the hard work assembling this, Adam & Paul
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 1:42pm
I still heard quite a few awesome albums last year, as well. My thing is, I'm slowing down with my music, for almost entirely unrelated reasons. The biggest of which essentially boils down to: I'm in a living situation where I basically have to use headphones, and yet, using them for too long tends to make me sick. So, yeah, I kinda don't have a choice, unless I wanna literally torture myself. 
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 1:20pm
 I thought 2019 was still a great year. I bought at least 60 metal albums that I felt were good enought to splash out on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic