MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hitchcock Movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which is the best Hitchcock film?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.69%]
2 [15.38%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [30.77%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.69%]
3 [23.08%]
2 [15.38%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hitchcock Movies
    Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 3:29pm
Any Hitchcock fans here? I've recently been discovering his work (seen seven of them so far) and his movies are making me appreciate older movies a whole lot more than I ever have. 

I wasn't able to list every film he ever made on a poll limited to 25 options, so I've selected what I believe to be his 24 most known titles and left the last spot for Other choices. I based this list of the amount of total ratings for each film on RYM.

I still have many more I want to see, but so far my choice is between Rope, Rear Window, North by Northwest and Psycho. I'm leaning toward Rear Window for now. The other three I have seen are The 39 Steps, Vertigo and The Birds, all of which I would rank only a tier below the other four films. 

Incidentally, The 39 Steps is currently the oldest movie I have seen and it's single-handed converted me from ignoring older movies to actively wanting to see more of them. I had watched the western Stagecoach (1939) not that long ago, but found the film quality poorer. 

I think Hitchcock despite only seeing my first of his films last month has already become one of my favourite directors. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 10:35am
Psycho.

There was a season of Hitchcock films on TV when I was a teenager. Psycho is still the one which sticks in my mind the best. Along with The Birds, I love how the initial story is completely hijacked by outside events. 

I must check out Hitchcock's version of The 39 Steps. I saw a TV movie version at high school, and have not long read the book. 

I'd also highly recommend Vertigo, Rear Window, The Man Who Knew Too Much, and North By North West. The others I either haven't seen, or I'm a bit hazy on.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 1:57pm
I enjoyed The Birds but like many films I felt that the story didn't feel finished at the point it ended. I tend to like films to have more explanation for their events that it did as well (though I do understand that this was Hitchcock's point). 

His 39 Steps is very good. Dated obviously, but still very worthwhile viewing. I don't see any point in checking out any later versions of the story from 1959, 1978 or 2008 (I've heard this one is really bad). 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 2:33pm
The 1978 one would be the one I saw.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 2:58pm
Apparently that one is actually the closest to the original novel. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 12:15pm
Lots of great films there but I guess it's Psycho for me. 

I see you haven't seen Frenzy yet Adam. That's deffintely worth a watch.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 2:09pm
I'm bidding on a copy of Frenzy on eBay currently. I've brought my total up to 11 of his films now, having recently viewed The Trouble With Harry, To Catch a Thief, The Man Who Knew Too Much (the first one) and Family Plot. 

I currently have waiting to watch on DVD: Dial M For Murder, Shadow of a Doubt and The Man Who Knew Too Much (the second one). Plus a few others ordered or bidding on and a few lined up on Prime to watch. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 9:39am
Just watched The Wrong Man (1956) with Henry Fonda. This was another film that was somewhat different for Hitchcock, being a true crime film, but I found it a gem. I would still rank it behind several others that I have highlighted before, but still, a top tier one for me. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 9:48am
^ I don't remember that one.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

As in 'seen it but don't remember it' or 'don't remember seeing it at all'? Either way, it's well worth a pick up. I got a copy off of ebay (for free in the end, since the disc was badly scratched despite being sold as Very Good, even though it played fine the seller returned my money in full). Henry Fonda plays a man wrongly accused of theft and assault and must prove his innocence, while the ordeal takes a psychological toll on his wife's sanity. The scary thing about the movie is that the case is all true, which is what made it compelling viewing for me. 
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 12:39am
I've seen what I guess are his most famous films: Psycho and The Birds, the four with James Stewart, Dial M For Murder, The 39 Steps and North by Northwest. It is close with Psycho for me, but the one I've re-watched the most often is North by Northwest, so I'll vote for that one. 
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 2:45am
I’ve watched a good number of these films over the years and love most of them. Vertigo has always been my favourite but Notorious (which has no votes) I have a soft spot for.

Edited by Bosh66 - 09 Feb 2019 at 7:28am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 5:38am
I've not managed to pick up a copy of Notorious yet. It's one I'm actively looking for.
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 7:52am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

As in 'seen it but don't remember it' or 'don't remember seeing it at all'? Either way, it's well worth a pick up. I got a copy off of ebay (for free in the end, since the disc was badly scratched despite being sold as Very Good, even though it played fine the seller returned my money in full). Henry Fonda plays a man wrongly accused of theft and assault and must prove his innocence, while the ordeal takes a psychological toll on his wife's sanity. The scary thing about the movie is that the case is all true, which is what made it compelling viewing for me. 

Don't remember seeing it at all and I'm pretty sure I've seen most of his films at some point or other. They're not such regular fixtures on Tv as they once were.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 9:54am
^ Tell me about it. There was one on Film4 (I think) last week, Lifeboat, which I forgot to record. Turns out it's one of the harder ones to find on DVD.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 12:02pm
Watched Strangers on a Train yesterday - absolutely brilliant that one. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 1:22am
And Dial M For Murder last night, also excellent.

I'm up to 17 of his movies seen now. I still have Marnie (1964) and Frenzy (1972) on DVD to watch plus some earlier ones on Prime, the one's I'm most interested in being The Lady Vanishes (1938) and Stage Fright (1950), but there's also Young and Innocent (1937) and Jamaica Inn (1939) on there. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 7:47am
All Hitchcock movies are worth watching at least once. The Lady Vanished is very good by the way.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 10:02am
^ So I've heard.

Just watched Frenzy - brilliant again! I hadn't realised Hitch made another British film so late in his career until it got going. 
GG2U

MorniumGoatahl View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorniumGoatahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 9:03am
He has a few duds in his filmography and I don't much care for silent films in general (though I hear is The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog is very good) but otherwise I echo the thought that any Hitchcock film is worth checking out. Especially from the 1940s onward with a few choice picks from the 1930s while Psycho should be a staple of any horror and thriller fan's movie collection. For me though, I hold a fondness for Strangers on a Train, which is one of my favourite old movies. Rope is excellent as well, though Rear Window is the best of the Jimmy Stewart collaborations for me. I never got the focus on Vertigo for that partnership to be honest. A good film but not a favourite of mine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic