MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Top 2011 Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 10:04pm
Mournful Congregation - The Book of Kings, and that's pretty much it, so far. I still have to listen to Esoteric's and Fleshpress' new album.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 2:33pm
this album is awesome BTW

The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 1:20pm
Add the new Blotted Science EP to my list! First listen as I type and already loving it.

Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 2:00am
Off the top of my head the metal top 3 could look like this:

Mastodon - The Hunter
Saxon - Call to Arms

Umm... Pathetic, isn't it?
<- Click on this!
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 7:50pm
Amplifier's The Octopus... that's an album that should be on loads of AOTY lists, but it came out at the very start of January and I accidentally think of it as coming out last year.

I wonder if magazine/website listmakers feel the same and it misses out on the massive recognition it should get. 

I had:
1. Mastodon � The Hunter
2. Machine Head � Unto The Locust
3. Anthrax � Worship Music
4. Architects � The Here And Now
5. Red Fang � Murder The Mountains
6. Megadeth � Th1rt3en
7. Black Tusk � Set The Dial
8. Five Finger Death Punch � American Capitalist
9. Devildriver � Beast
10. Black Country Communion � 2
11. Chimaira � The Age Of Hell
12. Trivium � In Waves
13. Jasta � Jasta
14. Amon Amarth � Surtur Rising
15. Rise To Remain � City Of Vultures

but I think I'd need to crowbar The Octopus in there. Although luckily I don't have to here becuase they aren't on the site...

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 3:47pm
I actually bad things about Worship Music... So I decided not to listen to it. I can trust friends of mine with more or less thesame taste in music.
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 8:09am
Here's my list finally put out in public!

1.Visions-Haken
2.Fables Of The Sleepless Empire-Unexpect
3.Bilateral-Leprous
4.Plains Of Purple Buffalo-*Shels
5.Sympathetic Resonance-Arch/Matheos
6.Iconoclast-Symphony x
7.Deconstruction-Devin Townsend
8.Rengeteg-Thy Catafalque
9.Epoch-Fen
10.The Great Mass-Septic Flesh
11.Ghost-Devin Townsend
12.The Hunter-Mastodon
13. Outer Isolation-Vektor
14.Torn Beyond Reason-Woods Of Desolation
15.Dirge-Wormrot
16.Mammal-Altar Of Plagues
17.Varjoina Kulijemme Kuolleiden Maasa-Moonsorrow
18.A Dramatic Turn Of Events-Dream Theater
19.Communication Lost-Wolverine
20.Until Fear No Longer Defines Us-Ghost Brigade

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/
Doomster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Doomster Doomster wrote:

Fleshpress' new album.

Looking back on that album, I'm kinda disappointed with it. It lacks the disturbing atmosphere on "Pillars" or the thickness on the rest of their albums. Oh well. Esoteric's was better though.

On a less sour note, though, DT's "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" made me a happy boy.
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 10:49pm
This was my Collab list this year for MMA:
1.  Leprous - Bilateral
2. Animals as Leaders - Weightless
3. Unexpect - Fables of a Sleepless Empire
4. TesseracT - One
5. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
6. Haken - Visions
7. Scale the Summit - The Collective
8. Devin Townsend - Deconstruction
9. Symphony X - Iconoclast
10. Caligula's Horse - Moments from Ephemeral City
11. Vildhjarta - Masstaden
12. Born of Osiris - The Discovery
13. Random - Todo.s Los Colores Del
14. X-Panda - Flight of Fancy
15. Riverside - Memories in my Head 
DefinitionOfHatred View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DefinitionOfHatred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 6:11am
Well, a bit late to the party, but here it goes (alphabetically apart from the first which is AOTY):

Machine Head - Unto the Locust
Anthrax - Worship Music
The Black Dahlia Murder - Ritual
Blood Red Throne - Brutalitarian Regime
Cavalera Conspiracy - Blunt Force Trauma
Chimaira - The Age of Hell
Deicide - To Hell with God
DevilDriver - Beast
Hate Eternal - Phoenix Amongst the Ashes
Onslaught - Sounds of Violence
Revocation - Chaos of Forms
Toxic Holocaust - Conjure and Command
Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 11:22pm
Here was my List for the 2011 Collaborators Best of

Well, 2011 . . .

It came and went like an arpeggio down a guitar neck on a Solo!

In-turn, I missed out on the extreme side of Metal, as my Internet Station leans to the Prog Metal side
of things, but soft!  Let us partake into the realms of complexity, sublime and aggressive behavior
that is . . .

:deathbang:METAL!!!!!!!:guitarbang2:

Here we go . . . My TOP 20 Metal Albums of 2011:
(The Top 5 are on my CD player Weekly) . . .

1. Arch / Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance
Everything I want, aggression, complexity, and basically Fates Warning with their original vocalist
extraordinaire John Arch brought through the gate of time to create a contemporary masterpiece.
Its amazing we are to be blessed with an actual FW album with Alder as well!

2. TesseracT - One
These guys are more than a Djent band, full of emotion, and atmospheric bliss all enveloped in
mathematical aggression.

3. Haken - Visions
These Britts are being compared to Dream Theater but I think Haken has more of a
"Proto-Prog/Metal" sound at times, but one minute they are totally Progressive Rock, then Prog
Metal then something else. Great Storytellers and unbelievable musicians, this album could
easily move up in ranks.

4. Opeth - Heritage
Well Opeth are in a space where the old fans are leaving and gaining new ones, pissing off
others but are doing what they want, and I have been a fan since the release of "Still Life".
But this album seems like a natural progression, who knows, the next may be an all out Death
Fest.  I think Akerfeldt and the boys have a firm grasp what Proto-Metal was and could be in our
modern times.  For A HUGE Rainbow/Deep Purple and Uriah Heep fan, I love it.

5. Sun Caged - the Lotus Effect
This one is all over the place, the opening Track is as if Prog met Thrash and Death Metal
sensibilities, as the rest fly from Prog rich ballads and gorgeous melodies of Tech-Prog Metal
prowess. A gorgeous album rich with soundscapes.

6. Subsignal - Touchstones
Well, we have the vocals from Sieges Even and its sound a bit enhanced, again, it can go from
pure Progressive Rock and in the same song, total Prog Metal aggressive passages, yet they are
not DT or Haken.  Full of esoteric lyrics and prose, gorgeous.

7. Alarum - Natural Causes
Man! Was I LATE finding out about this! This is an incredible album, to be treated to this Math Metal
group again is a blessing to the ears and the mind. From Fusion, Djent, Death infused in a Math Metal
structure are Math lessons I would totally show up on time for :).

8. Andromeda - Manifest Tyranny
Andromeda, like Sun Caged is soo consistent with quality, you wonder if they are human. But
Andromeda have always teetered on Math Metal territory, but manage to make things Technical yet
digestible with plenty of aggression.

9. Leprous - Bilateral
Yes, they can be "Opeth-like" yet add that Proto-Metal aspect again, a tinge of Gothic spices and even
some technical brilliance, atmospheres and total full-fucking aggression's.  The vocals seal the deal.

10. Voyager - The meaning of I
These guys came out of nowhere, some tight technical playing in this Prog Metal outfit, this is a band
to watch in the future, I really like the vocals as he plays within some interesting melodies.

11. Dynahead - YOUniverse
Starting off as a Brazilian Meshuggah-like Math Metal Band, the sophomore effort finds the same yet
exploring the space with some beautiful work within the brutality.  This one may move up the ranks as
well.

12. Eumeria - Rebel Mind
Another that will move up as I have been enjoying these new guys on the block, with their dose of Tech-
Prog Metal.  But they have a unique sound that has me listening again and again.

13. Vangough - Kingdom of Ruin
Vangough have been around a few years and gathering a following.  This time around you can hear the
obvious growth and maturity without losing their soul, and are destined to be a name in the Prog Metal
world.

14. Borealis - Fall from Grace
Seems these Prog Metallers have been around a few years too, but their big debut is one that has a
young fresh sound, but musicianship beyond their years.  Another to watch grow into greatness.

15. Myrath - Tales of the Sand
The Tunisian Marauders strike again!  This one is growing on me more and more and will be yet
another to rise in the ranks.  The indigenous instruments just add soo much to their music to make
them stand apart from the rest.

16. Continuo Renacer - The Great Escape
So many "Djent" Instrumental Bands have come these past few years, but these Spaniards were
doing this since 2004 with their Math Metal along with the likes of Gordian Knot, Canvas Solaris and
Spiral Architect - just without the vocals.  It was thought we'd have to wait a millennium- like a new
Spiral Architect album, but we got Confessor, Cynic, Atheist, Mekong Delta and now Continuo beating
them to the punch (With Watchtower and Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects II coming soon!). 
This is another great album sure to wow its listeners. A Math/Fusion album of EPIC proportions.

17. Symphony X - Iconoclast
I know many want them to go back to their more "Neo-Classical/Power Metal" days but I think these
guys just keep growing, and if more aggressive, so be it! But man, they still know how to create solid
"ballads" as Russel leads the way with his Godly vocals.  And that its a Concept album about the
Madness of Computers/Ai Machines . . . I'm there to sit and listen.

18. Redemption - This Mortal Coil
Redemption has been one to be a consistent force in Prog Metal, with beautifully constructed melodies
that can turn aggressive and beautiful to majestic and epic.  This Album is growing on me and those
are the ones who usually last the test of time.

19.  Dream Theater - A Dramatic turn of Events
It would be hard to NOT include DT in my list after being a huge fan since "When Day and Dream Unite"
(on LP!).  But I must say it, without Portnoy and his ASTOUNDING Fills and drum compositions, I just
feel part of DT's "Soul" is gone.  But the music is lush, huge and all DT. But let us see what Mangini can
write for the next album . . . I'm willing and ready.  But I cant help to hope Portnoy is asked back, but I
think we could only imagine what Minneman, Wildoer and Donatti couldve enhanced to re-invent them.

20. Obscura - Omniviume
I need to soak this one up more but again, they just dont disappoint.  Some great extreme Math/Death
Metal with VERY Progressive characteristics to the 10th power.  Some complexity with groove and left
turns to keep it cerebrally  interesting.

Honourable Mentions.
These can  easily take over some spots as I am still in need to purchase these and devour them
after a few weeks:

21. Unexpect - Fables of the Sleepless Empire
22. Primus - Green Naugahyde
23. Cynic - Carbon Based Anatomy
26. Mekong Delta - Wanderer at the edge of Time
27. Diamond Plate - Generation Why?
28. Anubis Gate - self titled
29. Devin Townsends Projects
30. Riverside-Memories In My Head 
. . . sorry I missed out on the more Avant-Garde and other extremes Embarrassed.

If you are feeling adventurous, please go here as I created a link from my YOUtube account as a playable
Same order as my List above Big smile.

I hope all enjoy and have a Full-Fucking Aggressive New Year!  :guitarbang2:
. . . but with a lot of goodness thrown in Wink.

Also:
Here is my List and Playlist for my Top 20 Progressive Rock Albums of 2011 . . .

List:

Playlist:

. . . almost the same as above Smile.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 04 Feb 2012 at 5:32pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 1:50pm
My top 3 metal albums from 2011 are:

1. DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT: Deconstruction
2. SABBAT: Sabbatrinity
3. FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE: Agony
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
  Share Topic