MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Top 2011 Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 7:32am
A week ago my album of the year would be Mastodon's The Hunter. 

Having Vektor's - Outer Isolation on constant play for the past 5 days, I am certain it is this one. Amazing, simply amazing. By far, and I mean BY FAR, the best new thrash band. Signature sound and character (which alone makes them stand out from the retro thrash bands - which I enjoy very much btw), tons of influences, including prog death and (technical) black metal (think symphony-less late-era Emperor) with doses of epic, the Coroner/Voivod stuff and tons of old school speed/thrash. Great players, amazing songs, oozes passion. It's been many years since I was so enthusiastic about a new thrash metal band.

I daresay that the two tracks available at the moment are perhaps the weakest songs on the album and they are great.

I'm sure I will be writing a review for the site, a lengthy one. For the moment, I just added a 5 stars rating.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 7:40am
Nice Vic. A review would be greatThumbs Up
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 7:47am
I think I will check that one out from Vektor. I'm quite interested in the new wave of thrash metal bands.
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 7:52am
As for other albums that will be making my top list, on a quick note, I have a long list of potentials:

Mastodon - The Hunter
Arch/Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance
Riot - Immortal Soul (top form, it's not Thundersteel or Privilege of Power but it's damn close!)
Hell - Human Remains
Machine Head (great but it is not better than The Blackening)
Protest the Hero - Scurrilous
Wolf - Legions of Bastards
Anthrax - Worship Music
Caligula's Horse - Moments from Ephemeral City
Saxon - Call to Arms
The Haunted - Unseen (alt metal flirting with pop at some points, but very well done and very catchy)
Devin Townsend - Deconstruction
Fair to Midland - Arrows and Anchors
Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All
Deceased - Surreal Overdose
Macabre - Grim Scary Tales
Jag Panzer - Scourge of the Light
Satan's Host - By the Hands of the Devil
Havok - Time is Up 
Abysmal Dawn - Leveling the Plane of Existence
Symphony X - Iconoclast
Evile - Five Serpents Teeth
Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events

...and I still need to check out Warbringer, Toxic Holocaust, Destruction, Essence, Leprous, Artillery, Cavalera Conspiracy, Origin and make up my mind about the new Megadeth.

It's been a lot of years since I had trouble making the list because of too many good stuff flowing around.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 8:04am
Yeah I generally think 2011 have been a great year too.
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 8:06am
The new Warbringer was ok. I have a review on metal-exposure.com
I think their debut was still the strongest.
I didn't like Macabre at all to be honoust.
And I also want to listen to the the Mastodon. I have the the rest of the entire discography. I used to be a huge fan of Mastodon. I also have heard the demo with another vocalist (which sucked) and the songs on 7" vinyl etc.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 8:06am
Originally posted by Woutjinho Woutjinho wrote:

I think I will check that one out from Vektor. I'm quite interested in the new wave of thrash metal bands.

This one is recommendable too:
.. Album Cover

There are quite a few samples from the album on their MMA page: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/vektor.aspx?ac=vektor

and sorry I�ll get  Back to topic now!!!
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 8:26am
I'll get it back off topic though Tongue, cause I must emphasize what a great album Black Future is. Actually, the toughest question to answer about Outer Isolation is "is it better than Black Future?" and I am just not ready to answer that, having played BF for over a year and it still excites me. 

If you liked this album though, you are definitely going to like Outer isolation too.

Macabre's album was very enjoyable. I'd rank it lower than Murder Metal but still I love that Macabre feeling, it's all over the album.

I will check Warbringer but they are in the category of "still searching for my own voice". And speaking of new wave of thrash metal bands, I forgot Deathraiser from Brazil. Their debut does not bring something new to the table, like Vektor do but they have an abundance of passion that is very convincing. They remind me of Slayer riffs (or the Sepultura slayer-like riffs), through a Demolition Hammer filter. And doses of Kreator:
Here's a sample:

genghiscon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 9:26am
Phew...just got done reading all twelve pages of this topic and, just from following along the commentary, I've listened to two bands I would have never heard of and found that I really liked what I heard. Leprous' Bilateral is off the chains crazy good. My jaw just hit the floor from the beginning. They make the list immediately. And Fen, a band I've never been exposed to because the genre doesnt immediately appeal to me, gets some love from me as I sit here and write this listening to tracks off of YouTube. I love the atmospheric quality of it. Very moody. Looking forward to hearing the whole album now... So, thanks for the recommendations guys!

So far, from what I have been able to pick up this year, in no particular order:

1. Within Temptation - The Unforgiving
2. Evergrey - Glorious Collision
3. Myrath - Tales of the Sands
4. Leprous - Bilateral
5. Symphony X - Iconoclast
6. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
7. Arch/Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance
8. Opeth - Heritage

While I have gotten Megadeths Th1rt3en and Anthrax's Worship Music, I havent fully devoured them and thought about them yet. And I'm still looking to hear the New Haken, Anubis Gate, Eumeria, and a few others that I'm brainfarting over right now.

I got Rock N Roll to save me from the cold, and if thats all there is, that aint so bad. Rock N Roll! - Lemmy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Vic Vic wrote:

A week ago my album of the year would be Mastodon's The Hunter. 

Having Vektor's - Outer Isolation on constant play for the past 5 days, I am certain it is this one. Amazing, simply amazing. By far, and I mean BY FAR, the best new thrash band. Signature sound and character (which alone makes them stand out from the retro thrash bands - which I enjoy very much btw), tons of influences, including prog death and (technical) black metal (think symphony-less late-era Emperor) with doses of epic, the Coroner/Voivod stuff and tons of old school speed/thrash. Great players, amazing songs, oozes passion. It's been many years since I was so enthusiastic about a new thrash metal band.

I daresay that the two tracks available at the moment are perhaps the weakest songs on the album and they are great.

I'm sure I will be writing a review for the site, a lengthy one. For the moment, I just added a 5 stars rating.

Vic, I gave Vektor a couple listens on their last album and came away more than a little cool to them. Don't get me wrong here. I thought the music was pretty damn good. I just couldn't wrap my head around the vocal style. Overall, I just didn't give it much of a chance. That's on me.

I just listened to the two tracks posted on YouTube (Dying World and Dark Creations, Dead Creators) and I gotta tell you... F**k me....Color Me Impressed. Yeah, the vocals are still a bit grating, but I couldn't imagine you could sing it another way and have it meld with the music. (Reminds me quite a bit of Dimension Hatross era Voivod in there mixed with Kreator) Now, you actually have me looking forward to Vektor's release. Thanks, Vic!
I got Rock N Roll to save me from the cold, and if thats all there is, that aint so bad. Rock N Roll! - Lemmy
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 10:49am
Yeah the Chuck Schuldiner Perseverance vocal style (over-processed high pitch sneer) that Vektor also use isn�t really my cup of tea either, but the more spins I�ve given Black Future the more accostumed I�ve become to the vocals. They are still the weak link if you ask me though.
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 11:39am
Yeah, the vocals are an acquired taste. I wouldn't call them a weak link though, I personally LOVE them and I am a guy who doesn't listen to black metal mostly because of the vocals and was really bothered with Chuck's switch to high-pitched vocals in Sound of Perseverance.

I hear in his style Perseverance era Chuck as well, mixed with Schmier from Destruction, Becerra from 7 Churches era (it's that awesome rasp especially), Insahn... So definitely an acquired taste! I will say this though, I had three friends who had the exact same complaint about the band, the vocals. A couple of months later, two of them told me that they not only got used to them but that they actually like them now. The third guy can't get past them though.

I love the dude's "oo" sound (can't thnk of a better way of putting that!). Like in the chorus of Oblivion where he says "souls" like "sools". That robotic cyber growl/shriek. Love it, love it.

That reminds me to throw a word of warning in the review though!

This has become a bit too off-topic though, sorry about that!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 12:29pm
Yep we should probably have the talk in this thread instead: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=596&PID=56009#56009
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 1:44pm
Did I just read Within Temptation? Haha, I'm very surprised actually. Also emberrassed for being dutch right now.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 1:50pm
Yeah, I like the band. I admit it isnt up to par with some of their better work in the past, but it is one of the better new releases I've heard this year. So, until I review an album I like more to knock it off my best of 2011 list, its there for now.

But, you can keep being embarrased for being Dutch, if you want. Big smile
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 5:30pm
I really did not like The Unforgiving.  It sounded way too generically popish like Evanescence.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

I really did not like The Unforgiving.  It sounded way too generically popish like Evanescence.

Not to hijack the thread over the particular merits or shortcomings of any one album, but I will reply to Wily's statement.

I agree very much with your remark that Within Temptations newest release is more "pop". I think they have strayed a little too far from their signature sound with The Unforgiving. If this is just musical experimenting, I can handle that. If they continue to go more mainstream with their sound, they will probably count me as a lost fan...along with other countless thousands that will probably bail should they go down that road. Still, all that said... I do LIKE the album, not love it. I was hoping for more. More than likely The Unforgiving gets knocked off my top ten when Im done digesting a better one... 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 10:21pm
FFFFUUUUUUUHHHHHHHH*********

Just finished listening to the new Anubis Gate.....

I liked The Detached.... I LOVE their new album.

Yeah, this is making the list.

Beer
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 5:16pm
So far, either No Help For The Mighty Ones or Celestial Lineage is my #1 for the year.  I think I've decided that much.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 5:26pm
Having really not much interest in the Black Metal scene and not knowing one thing about Wolves In The Throne Room, I decided to look them up. And from their ideology and mindset of how they want to present and play their music.... I have to check these guys out. And I'm betting I like them. 

Damn you, Tri-Top.... damn you to hell. My wallet is taking a beating since joining this forum.

And honestly.... I wouldn't have it any other way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
  Share Topic