Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Top 2011 Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

I wanted to ask some of you guys about all the reviews you have done for 2011 releases. Now, you can tell me to go to hell as it's really none of my business but I'm curious how some of you guys have so many releases from this year. Do the artists send you CD promo copies? Send you digital files? All in exchange for a review of an album? Or do you purchase the music, either it be on CD or digitally? Or maybe free downloads from the artist's website, myspace, facebook, etc? I've noticed some members have done many reviews (a dozen or more) on a weekly basis, of course some of them older releases. A small fortune if one is buying CD's.

I can't speak for them, but nobody sends me promos and that's why I have about five 2011 ratings (and no reviews Embarrassed)
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 12:46pm

I wanted to ask some of you guys about all the reviews you have done for 2011 releases. Now, you can tell me to go to hell as it's really none of my business but I'm curious how some of you guys have so many releases from this year. Do the artists send you CD promo copies? Send you digital files? All in exchange for a review of an album? Or do you purchase the music, either it be on CD or digitally? Or maybe free downloads from the artist's website, myspace, facebook, etc? I've noticed some members have done many reviews (a dozen or more) on a weekly basis, of course some of them older releases. A small fortune if one is buying CD's.

I also write for Sea of Tranquility (.org), and I get a ton of free new music from that gig. Just the other day I got a box of 15 CD's in the mail, I'm expecting another box soon, and my digital promo collection is waaaay more than I could possibly cover. Of course, I do buy some of my anticipated albums, but I get tons of free promos.

I'm on the "mailing list" for quite a few labels/promo companies, so my inbox is stacked with new metal releases. Smile
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I also write for Sea of Tranquility (.org), and I get a ton of free new music from that gig. Just the other day I got a box of 15 CD's in the mail, I'm expecting another box soon, and my digital promo collection is waaaay more than I could possibly cover. Of course, I do buy some of my anticipated albums, but I get tons of free promos.

I'm on the "mailing list" for quite a few labels/promo companies, so my inbox is stacked with new metal releases. Smile

I�m in contact with a couple of labels who send me digital promos, and a couple of artists too who send me links and sometimes CDs, so most of my "current year" reviews are written using that material. But I of course purchase the albums if they are by my favorite acts. Another source for me is the Danish library system. There is a six month quarentine period from an album is released until I can loan it from the library, but I get to hear quite a few new albums this way too. For example I currently have the latest Mercenary album on loan, which is a 2011 release and I�ll review that album when I�m ready.

Most labels I�ve contacted have been very friendly and very interested in sending promos. Especially if you send examples of your reviews and links to your personal page here on MMA. I�m sure they expect something in return, but I�ve never been pressured to write reviews or to write them in a positive light. In fact the only thing I ever hear from them is when they send me the digital promo e-mails.

Edited by UMUR - 29 Aug 2011 at 1:37pm
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 2:05pm
Thanx for the replies guys. I thought maybe that some of you would recieve promos as I have bought CDs or D/Ls of new releases from 2011 because of the some reviews you guys have written. Must be fun checking the (e) mailbox.  
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 2:22pm
I listen to a lot of music streamed from Grooveshark.  If I like what I hear, I buy the physical copy.  Though so far, the only 2011 CD I own is Deconstruction by Devin Townsend.
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I'm in the same boat as Jeff, I get promo's from a couple record labels, like a lot of promos, and occasionally I get some Cd's in the mail to review. Then when bands such as Opeth, PoS, DT, and some other of my favorite bands release albums I buy them.

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 4:16pm
Yeah, Grooveshark is another great resource
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 5:13pm
If I read a review of an album and it's description is to what I like to listen to I then will go to youtube and listen to a couple of vids and from there I will D/L the whole album if I like what I hear. If the music really captures my sences I will try and find CD copy. I don't consider myself a "metalhead", just an average Joe who likes to listen to some of sub-genres of metal. So much good music out there past and present.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 12:44pm

If I read a review of an album and it's description is to what I like to listen to I then will go to youtube and listen to a couple of vids and from there I will D/L the whole album if I like what I hear. If the music really captures my sences I will try and find CD copy. I don't consider myself a "metalhead", just an average Joe who likes to listen to some of sub-genres of metal. So much good music out there past and present.

I pretty much sample albums like you do online, and buy them if I like what I hear.  I often get sidetracked from buying new releases since I pick up so many older ones as well.  

I've got a rough ranking now of about 50-ish albums I've heard this year, but I only own a few 2011 releases.  I don't have any reviews from 2011  yet because 1) I only review albums I own, meaning I've heard them enough to properly evaluate them, and 2) I'm so slow at churning out reviews LOL.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 8:06pm
I'm looking forward to Blut Aus Nord's 777 - The Desanctification

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 2:28am
Now this is an album that could potentially upset my top 10. 

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 2:28am
I love the cover artwork, but what�s the music like?
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 6:07am
Sorry, adg, but here is the Dark Forest that I remember:

(released in 2006)

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 6:16am
There are too many bands using the name Dark Forest. The one I'm talking about is a heavy/power metal act, kind of a retro sound. I added them to power the other day, but I may move them to trad yet. Their music walks a fine line between the two. I got a promo of the album above, it's out in October, but here's an older song, they got a new singer since, whom I think is much stronger.

Edited by adg211288 - 02 Sep 2011 at 6:17am
GG2U

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 12:26pm

I WANT
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 2:43pm
Sorry to say it, but we all know DT's album is going to win.
Given the PA heavy influence on the site and general progressive mindset, we all know it's gunna happen LOL
I still wonder how many DT fans really even "listen" to the albums but yeah, it shall be the runaway winner.

I've listened to "A Dramatic Turn of Events" and thus far it seems decent but inconsistent. I'm liking some songs and others bore me to tears. Needs more time of course but it seems like a typical DT album for me, though better than the last few.

I'm really digging "Heritage" by Opeth but do you guys think it qualifies as metal?

Need to try the WITTR album which quite a few are going crazy for.

2011 is finally getting good for me!
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 3:00pm
I thought the new DT was very patchy at first but it's growing on me now. It's kind of the opposite to Black Clouds for me with this. Really loved BC&SL straight away, but I don't regard it quite as much as I did (I need to revise my review really), whereas I'm slowing regarding this one more and more. Not sure it will get into the 5* range, but I'm thinking 4.5* at least. Would have been more like 3-3.5* at first.

Opeth I like, and I think it's metal...just. It's certainly their most different album, but I think there's definitely some typical Opethian sounds in there. Not my favourite album by them by far, in fact I may only give it 4* (I was hoping for another 5*), but I do like it a fair bit. Going to give this one a lot of listens before review.

Seriously though, the Factory of Dreams album is still my top release from this year, though the Dark Forest album I posted about earlier is pretty set to slide into No. 2. Not bad for a band I never even heard of until that promo landed in my inbox. Smile
GG2U

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 3:49pm
The new WITTR album is really bad-ass.  It might just take the number 1 spot on my list after a few more listens.

In fact, I'm kinda hoping it does.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

I've listened to "A Dramatic Turn of Events" and thus far it seems decent but inconsistent. I'm liking some songs and others bore me to tears. Needs more time of course but it seems like a typical DT album for me, though better than the last few.

I pretty much agree with that.  I'd put it above the last 2, but I don't think it's among their best.  That's only off 1 listen mind you.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 4:16pm
I think ADTOE is their best since Octavarium, and a solid 4.5 from me. It should definitely be in my top 10 (at least) for the year. Smile
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
  Share Topic