MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The General Film and TV Discussion Thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The General Film and TV Discussion Thread

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message
adg211288 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honourary collab/Retired Admin

Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 16389
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The General Film and TV Discussion Thread
    Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 2:23am
A place to talk about anything involving film and TV shows. 

First item on the agenda: is Disney doing it's best to ruin franchises?

MCU: Fires James Gunn over years old tweets, now Guardians of the Galaxy, one of the most beloved internal MCU franchises, is on hold with actors talking about leaving.

Stars Wars: Completely cancels the James Mangold directed Boba Fett movie, which was clearly among the most desired spin-off films fans wanted to see.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Apparently they are rebooting the franchise with the sixth film without Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow. 

Discuss and you know, talk about anything else film and TV related. Tongue
http://www.facebook.com/adg211288Reviews/
http://www.last.fm/user/adg211288
Back to Top
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avatar
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Joined: 25 Mar 2010
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Points: 15873
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 4:51am
Well...to me Disney has destroyed Star Wars. There´s something fishy about the new movies that I just can´t stand. Even number 1, 2, and 3 were better than the rubbish they call number 7 and 8.
Back to Top
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avatar
Black & Death Teams

Joined: 20 Nov 2015
Status: Offline
Points: 1517
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 5:56am
Pirates of the Caribbean without Jack Sparrow? Hard pass. Depp is pretty much the only reason some of those sequels were worth watching.
Back to Top
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 22 Jan 2013
Location: MA, USA
Status: Offline
Points: 7486
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 5:58am
I have to catch up on the PotC movies, but yeah, hard to imagine w/o Depp as Sparrow.
Back to Top
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avatar
Black & Death Teams

Joined: 20 Nov 2015
Status: Offline
Points: 1517
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 6:11am
Also I like the new Star Wars movies, though nothing beats the original trilogy. I thought Solo was actually really good and didn't deserve a lot of the flak it got, which I'm sure was more on behalf of The Last Jedi.
Back to Top
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avatar
Black & Death Teams

Joined: 20 Nov 2015
Status: Offline
Points: 1517
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 6:54am
And as for Marvel movies, it does suck that Guardians 3 got delayed since apart from Avengers 4 that's probably my most anticipated confirmed returning sub-franchise of the MCU: I've seen nothing on further solo Iron Man, Captain America or Thor movies which is pretty much the old guard of the MCU now and the first movies of Doctor Strange, Spider-man and Black Panther don't stand out for me as well as their acclaim implies they should (especially Black Panther). Guardians 1 & 2 are two of the most outright entertaining movies the MCU though, so yeah, definitely sucks that they delayed it. I am interested in Captain Marvel though as it's about time the MCU had a female hero with a solo film.
Back to Top
adg211288 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honourary collab/Retired Admin

Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 16389
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 9:08am
Just managed to pick up the DVD of Hereditary for just £0.99 in a second hand shop. Shocked Not even been out a whole month yet. 

Looking forward to watching this one - heard very good things about it. 
http://www.facebook.com/adg211288Reviews/
http://www.last.fm/user/adg211288
Back to Top
Sisslith View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avatar
Power & Neo, Prog/AG Teams

Joined: 03 Sep 2016
Location: Spain
Status: Offline
Points: 1154
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sisslith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 7:39am
^I really liked the first half of the film (more drama than horror I think). Be prepared for a couple of gritty scenes. LOL


Edited by Sisslith - 07 Nov 2018 at 7:40am
Only the dead have seen the end of war.
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Back to Top
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avatar
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Joined: 25 Mar 2010
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Points: 15873
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 11:26am
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

Also I like the new Star Wars movies, though nothing beats the original trilogy. I thought Solo was actually really good and didn't deserve a lot of the flak it got, which I'm sure was more on behalf of The Last Jedi.
 
I was pleasantly surprised by Solo. I thought it was a pretty entertaining movie. Much better than The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, which I found pretty disappointing. Rogue One and Solo are a different story though. Both great films in my book.
Back to Top
adg211288 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honourary collab/Retired Admin

Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 16389
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Sisslith Sisslith wrote:

^I really liked the first half of the film (more drama than horror I think). Be prepared for a couple of gritty scenes. LOL

Aren't a lot of them? Anyway, I already watched it. I enjoyed it though I think I need to watch it again to really get what it was all about. Plus I was sleepy during the second half. 
http://www.facebook.com/adg211288Reviews/
http://www.last.fm/user/adg211288
Back to Top
adg211288 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honourary collab/Retired Admin

Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 16389
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

Also I like the new Star Wars movies, though nothing beats the original trilogy. I thought Solo was actually really good and didn't deserve a lot of the flak it got, which I'm sure was more on behalf of The Last Jedi.
 
I was pleasantly surprised by Solo. I thought it was a pretty entertaining movie. Much better than The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, which I found pretty disappointing. Rogue One and Solo are a different story though. Both great films in my book.

I'll bet any money they don't make a second one though, despite the cliff-hanger ending and 'real big bad' reveal. I don't entirely blame Disney; I think fans did the franchise a disservice by boycotting Solo (Though it probably was a mistake as well to release it so close to Infinity War and Deadpool 2). I also can't help but wonder if it's more lukewarm critical reception was to do with the fact that critics lauded The Last Jedi as the best Star Wars film ever made only to have that claim thrown back in their faces by fans. 


Edited by adg211288 - 07 Nov 2018 at 12:09pm
http://www.facebook.com/adg211288Reviews/
http://www.last.fm/user/adg211288
Back to Top
adg211288 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honourary collab/Retired Admin

Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 16389
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 4:12am
Just found out that as well as Iron Fist Netflix has cancelled Luke Cage as well. Doesn't look hopefully for the rest of the MCU shows on there to be honest. A shame because Daredevil season 3 has been one of the best yet. 
http://www.facebook.com/adg211288Reviews/
http://www.last.fm/user/adg211288
Back to Top
adg211288 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honourary collab/Retired Admin

Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 16389
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 4:04pm
Well I reached a movie milestone today: I've now seen 1000 movies in my lifetime. Thing is, about half were only watched for the first time this year! I had a movie phase quite a few years back when I watched quite a lot of films, mostly horror and sci-fi, but until recently the majority of movies I had seen were family movies that I grew up with. This movie phase shows no sign of wearing off either, so maybe I'll hit my next milestone before next year is out. 

http://www.facebook.com/adg211288Reviews/
http://www.last.fm/user/adg211288
Back to Top
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avatar
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 2550
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 6:57pm
I got 130, which is honestly more than I would have expected. I've watched barely any movies (or TV shows) in the past few years, because at this point, I'd rather play videogames than any other form on entertainment, because the whole interactive aspect draws me in far more than any non interactive story ever can. There's also quite a few cases where I've seen some movies in a series, but not everything.

 The one near exception is Star Wars, where the only one I haven't seen is Solo, which is partially because I think it's an unnecessary cash grab, but also because anyone but Harrison Ford playing Han Solo is pure sacrilege, imo. That's really the main reason: I watched the trailer, decided the actor had NOTHING to do with the character in any way, and decided not to waste my time watching the movie.
Back to Top
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: 26 Mar 2010
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Points: 1317
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 11:57pm
Have any anyone here seen the Kristen Bell starred series, the Good Place. Pretty funny and with an original and fresh take on humor, not seen any series quite like it that arrent animated ( like Adventure Time). Abrupt twists and turns and stuff happens out of no where. Very quick humor were they forst time ive seen used real life philosophers as plot devices, never seen a series were Kant, Hume and Stuart Mill being referntsed.

Wonderful characters whom develop interestingly and a suprising twist in the last episode.
Back to Top
adg211288 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honourary collab/Retired Admin

Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 16389
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 12:24am
^ Yeah I watch it. I think it's a pretty great show, especially with the way it continually re-invents itself. 
http://www.facebook.com/adg211288Reviews/
http://www.last.fm/user/adg211288
Back to Top
adg211288 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honourary collab/Retired Admin

Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 16389
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 12:25am
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

I got 130, which is honestly more than I would have expected. I've watched barely any movies (or TV shows) in the past few years, because at this point, I'd rather play videogames than any other form on entertainment, because the whole interactive aspect draws me in far more than any non interactive story ever can. There's also quite a few cases where I've seen some movies in a series, but not everything.

 The one near exception is Star Wars, where the only one I haven't seen is Solo, which is partially because I think it's an unnecessary cash grab, but also because anyone but Harrison Ford playing Han Solo is pure sacrilege, imo. That's really the main reason: I watched the trailer, decided the actor had NOTHING to do with the character in any way, and decided not to waste my time watching the movie.

I was very pleasantly surprised by Solo. I think I actually enjoyed it more than the other three new Star Wars movies.
http://www.facebook.com/adg211288Reviews/
http://www.last.fm/user/adg211288
Back to Top
adg211288 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honourary collab/Retired Admin

Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 16389
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 8:31am
I had read that The Expanse season 3 was finally being released here today but the clock is ticking and still nothing, as usual. I see that Prime customers in the US have indeed got it today which I actually think is bullshit as the US has had the series on its original channel months ago. Meanwhile, the rest of the world is still waiting and have even had access to the first two seasons taken away from us. 
http://www.facebook.com/adg211288Reviews/
http://www.last.fm/user/adg211288
Back to Top
MorniumGoatahl View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avatar
Errors & Omissions Team

Joined: 27 May 2017
Status: Offline
Points: 373
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorniumGoatahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I had read that The Expanse season 3 was finally being released here today but the clock is ticking and still nothing, as usual. I see that Prime customers in the US have indeed got it today which I actually think is bullshit as the US has had the series on its original channel months ago. Meanwhile, the rest of the world is still waiting and have even had access to the first two seasons taken away from us. 

I'll be honest, I pirated it months ago. I don't even expect to see it legitimately before next year at the earliest now and maybe not even then on streaming: they've been quick to release DVD's here for seasons one and two since the new deal, which were never available before. November 2019, that's when we get season 3 I believe. I hope I'm wrong, but that's actually the only date they're giving the UK to see season 3 in any form. 

If you really want to see it, pirate it. They're doing nothing but encouraging it. 
Back to Top
adg211288 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honourary collab/Retired Admin

Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 16389
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 2:48pm
I really hope you're wrong about that. I'm a paying Prime customer, I should be able to watch a series Amazon now owns, regardless of what country I'm in. Regardless the November 2019 DVD release date is definitely an insult to UK fans of the series. I wouldn't object to buying the series on DVD (but it really should be on Prime too by now) but imposing another whole year of waiting? I don't want to pirate, one because I'm not a thief and two because I think the quality will be shitty, but I also won't wait that long. 
http://www.facebook.com/adg211288Reviews/
http://www.last.fm/user/adg211288
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.16
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.133 seconds.