MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thrash metal recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallica999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thrash metal recommendations
    Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 1:47pm
Lately, i've been getting into thrash. I really like Metallica, Kreator, Megadeth, Early Sepultura, some albums by Slayer etc... Could anyone reccomend me some good old school thrash bands? I like some modern thrash like Nevermore or newer Kreator albums like Violent Revolution, but i prefer old school.
However, i really dislike bands like Testament or Exodus. I don't know why, but they just sound so much different than the bands i mentioned. Or maybe I listened to their less good albums.
Any reccomendation will be highly appreciated. :D
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 1:51pm

�ou�ll find many people recommending the first two Forbidden albums.

If you like Kreator you should of course also check out Destruction and Sodom. Some of the early Holy Moses albums are also pretty good.

...oh and Coroner of course. One of the greatest thrash metal acts from the eighties IMO.

Some early Artillery might also please you.

Edited by UMUR - 07 Feb 2011 at 1:53pm
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 1:52pm
early Annihilator (especially their first two albums), Flotsam & Jetsam (first two albums are great IMO as is their last one), some Overkill maybe, Death Angel (especially III). 
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 1:55pm

Have you listened to Fabulous Disaster by Exodus and some of the early Testament albums? Or just their more recent stuff?

Edited by UMUR - 07 Feb 2011 at 1:55pm
Metallica999 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallica999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 2:05pm
Thanks. I'll check some of those bands that i'm not familliar with.

@UMUR:

I listened to Force of Habit by Exodus. I can't remember which album by Testament i listened to, but I'm pretty sure it was from early 90s.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 3:26pm
I strongly recommend you listen to Bonded by Blood and Fabulous Disaster by Exodus. I can�t say Force of Habit did much for me either. I think it might even be their weakest album of them all. I can also highly recommend the comeback album Tempo of the Damned. Those are probably the three albums by Exodus I would seek out if I were you. Then come back and give your opinion againThumbs Up

I was never much of a Testament fan myself, but I can recommend listening to the first two albums by the band. I think they are their best output.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

early Annihilator (especially their first two albums), Flotsam & Jetsam (first two albums are great IMO as is their last one), some Overkill maybe, Death Angel (especially III). 

Oh hell yeahhhh!!!Headbanger. I absolutely love the first two Annihilator albums. It�s been a long while since I listened to Flotsam & Jetsam, but I had an album that I really liked back in the early nineties. Overkill is the Mot�rhead of thrash metal. They always release quality albums, that seldom reaches excellence though. That�s of course my personal opinion. Death Angel uhhh highly recommendable too. I�ve mostly listened to their most recent output though. I don�t know the classic eighties albums well enough to recommend them.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 3:35pm
Oh and if you enjoy some of the more brutal thrash I can highly recommend Demolition Hammer. Tortured Existence is one of my favorite brutal thrash metal albums:
.. Album Cover
but also Epidemic of Violence:
.. Album Cover

Also bands like Sindrome, Gammacide and Devastation.

Edited by UMUR - 07 Feb 2011 at 3:38pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 3:37pm
...and I see you are a Slayer fan too, then I can recommend the first three The Haunted ( http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/haunted-the.aspx?ac=haunted) albums and also Legion of the http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/legion-of-the-damned.aspx?ac=legion of
Metallica999 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallica999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 4:26pm
Thanks a lot! I like a bit more brutal metal, so i will definitely check Demolition Hammer.
goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 4:46pm
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 4:56pm
Tankard is great indeed Thumbs Up
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 5:46pm
I think that late Artillery might please you, too, since their style is pretty retro. My favorite Artillery albums are "By Inheritance" and "When Death Comes", but the other releases are very good, too.

As for Annihilator, "Alice in Hell" is my favorite album by Annihilator - it's pretty technical and has a lot of melodic elements, too. The latest Artillery album has some pretty brutal stuff on it, actually.

"Impact is Immanent" should also be on the list of recommended Exodus albums and, if you don't mind lousy production, you might also want to check out "Pleasures of the Flesh".

Death Angel's latest output "Relentless Retribution" and "Act III" is their most critically acclaimed album. "Act III" is a bit more adventurous and melodic, containing elements from alternative metal/rock and progressive metal - it is very good though. Their two first albums are also classics.

You might also want to check Sacred Reich's "Ingorance" album and the "Surfing Nicaragua" EP. "The American Way" is also very good, but it's not as breakneck fast.

You might also want to check Carnivore's two albums, although they are more in the crossover department. Suicidal Tendencies are another very good crossover band, and especially the albums "Join the Army", "How Will I Laugh Tomorrow... When I Can't Even Smile Today" and "Lights... Camera... Revolution" are recommended. You might want to avoid anything released after "Lights..." though, as they take a more alternative metal-inspired route.

I would also recommend all four albums by Invocator, but if you like your music fast and aggressive, then especially their first album "Excursion Demise".

You may also want to check Devoid's debut album "A God's Lie", and Swashbuckle's "Back to the Noose" and "Crime Always Pays..." and you must not miss out on Nuclear Assault's "Handle With Care". Eradication's "Dreams of Reality" might also be up your alley - they may look like a metalcore band, but the music on this album's pure thrash. Helstar's latest album "Glory of Chaos" is also very retro thrash metal which you might like. Austrian Death machine is also a kind of old school thrash act - check out "Double Brutal".

Oh, and, of course Anthrax' earlier stuff, like "Spreading the Disease", "Among the Living", "State of Euphoria" and "Persistence of time" should be checked out.

You might also want to get a hold on Rat Skates' "Get Thrashed" DVD.
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 6:14pm
Sepultura's thrash period is much better than most of the big / famous thrash bands' entire careers IMO and is a MUST if you are looking for something besides that pasteurized sound of many of the 80's thrash acts.

Edited by CCVP - 07 Feb 2011 at 6:15pm
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Sepultura's thrash period is much better than most of the big / famous thrash bands' entire careers IMO and is a MUST if you are looking for something besides that pasteurized sound of many of the 80's thrash acts.

he knows early Sepultura, he said it in his first post.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 3:29am
I forgot to mention Celtic Frost. Their first two releases "Morbid Tales" and "Emperor's Return" offer very dark and primitive thrash. If you like this style, you might also be interested in The Metaphor, a Chinese thrash metal band who are very old school, and with titles like "War Fuck Peace", "Bay Area Beast", and "Devils in Human-Skin", you can't go wrong.
spitf1r3 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spitf1r3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 7:29am
Old school trash from a relatively new band. Check Vektor's second album. Mind blowing.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 8:10am
.. Album Cover
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/vektor--black-future.aspx

I second that. Black Future is a really great thrash metal album with progressive elements. Sort of like a combination between mid- to late eighties Voivod and Holy Moses. I was going to review the album a while back, but got preoccupied with something else. It�s in my to-do review pile.

Edited by UMUR - 10 Feb 2011 at 8:22am
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Metallica999 Metallica999 wrote:

However, i really dislike bands like Testament or Exodus.

CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

he knows early Sepultura, he said it in his first post.

LOL, didn't spot that when I red it.

Edited by CCVP - 10 Feb 2011 at 5:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic