MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Metal Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spitf1r3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 4:53pm
Well I can never forget my first 3 metal albums.
1. Helloween - Best, The Rest, The Rare
2. Metallica - Black Album
3. Manowar - Kings of Metal.
Once the metal virus entered my veins... Alice Cooper - Trash and Hey Stoopid, Sepultura - Arise and Iron Maiden - Fear of The Dark consolidated quickly my new metal collection.

topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 5:00pm
Killswitch Engage isn't so embarrassing I guess, as other 'guilty pleasures' into metal as many may have, but I guess mostly I've grown old of the album. I've reviewed it if anyone's interested. [/shameless review plug]

In any event, it's much cooler to get into metal the old-school way, through hard rock into classic bands like Sabbath and Maiden.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 7:07pm
The first metal album I had was my mom's copy of ...And Justice For All on cassette. 
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 1:15am
Oh my God! LOL
Seeing comments like "My Moms", "My Dads" etc. makes me feel really OLD Tongue.

I cant really remember my 1st "Metal" album of my own, but it was most probably KISS "Destroyer" on cassette
(in 1976) and thats the only Kiss album I'd find worth my time even though I bought/was given the next 3 albums.
Judas Priest's "British Steel" may have been the 2nd on LP, but I got it a few years after it debuted (I still have it).
The rest of my growing Metal collection would all be on LP for the next 20+ years.
I can remember my 1st Prog albums though.

Sorry . . .
Limp Bisquick, and Linkin Fart??? my God, I AM old Wink.
(forgive forgive . . . just couldnt let it go Embarrassed) . . .

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 14 Feb 2011 at 1:20am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 8:42am
I used to listen to my mom's Ipod when I was about 9, and I listened to every possible Led Zeppelin song. I also listened to Black Sabbath, AC DC, Pearl Jam, and many more. But the first album I bought were a couple of Iron Maiden albums, "Somewhere In Time", "No Prayer For The Dying" and "Fear Of The Dark". But it's a very vague memory, not sure if they were any before that. 

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/
ANDERS View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ANDERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 9:36am
Nice topic :)

I think mine was Obituary's "Cause of Death".
Or maybe it could have been "Heartwork" by Carcass.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 2:33am
^Pretty brutal stuff to start out withBig smile. Before I started purchasing albums ( as mentioned earlier in the thread my first album was Somewhere in Time by Iron Maiden) I was actually a very big Bon Jovi fanboy ( my brother had the first four albums). So I started out vanilla styleLOL.

Edited by UMUR - 18 Feb 2011 at 2:33am
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 12:15am
I bought Iron Maiden's Number of the beast on vinyl off the shelf. and weeks later I had Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil. But if you call Deep Purple metal i had IN rock very early in the 70s. Metallica'S rIDE tHE LIGHTNING was the first THRASH METAL ALBUM and then kILL EM ALL AND mASTER OF pUPPETS, from there I was HOOKED.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - 21 Feb 2011 at 12:16am
GLAM METAL!
mistress2metal View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistress2metal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 2:35pm
Metallica, the black album (don't hit me. I was 12.) but shortly thereafter was exposed to Mercyful Fate & King Diamond so I guess I made up for it lol
Vobiscum View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vobiscum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 6:40am
Mortification - Scrolls of the Megilloth.

I was about nine years. A cousin of mine brought a k7 tape and showed me the band's sound, on occasion, it was love at first listen.
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 8:19am
It took me quite sometime to buy an album. I have two older brothers, with whom I shared a bedroom in all my childhood. The oldest was the first metalhead of the family, getting into hard rock and metal in 1984 (Scorpions being the primary band of influence). He bought the albums, which he let us listen to "if we behaved" (that is shut up and stand still). So, there was no need to get anything. Besides, the oldest brother had the exclusive rights to the stereo.

The first vinyl I bought was the soundtrack to Rocky IV. It was 1985 and I was 8 years old. My oldest brother sold it to me because he knew I liked Eye of the Tiger and that I really wanted a vinyl of my own ("wee! I own vinyl!"). For 100 drachmas (in today's exquisite greek economy that would be the equivalent of 0.004 dollars!). My joy was short-lived however, as my brother had drawn glasses, mustaches and cigars on the faces of Rocky, Apollo, Drago, Adrian etc on the back. "No refunds".

In 1986, I fell in love with Europe's Final Countdown, the song. My oldest brother however would not buy that album, at the time the  feud between "hair" or "pop" or "glam" metal and thrash was at its peak. My thrash loving brother would be damned if he would spend his hard-earned money on those poser bitches. So, I went and bought my first "serious" vinyl, Europe's - Final Countdown. And I loved that album and I still love that album, which had more hard rock and even heavy metal that first met the eye. Amazing guitar work too. Many years passed since I revisited it however because around 1989, when I was too old (12) to rely on my brother's sacred vinyl collection ("touch it and you die!" - which I did often when he wasn't around, with mortal fear in my heart) I decided to begin my collection. This is where I consider my true beginnings:

First album I bought: Kill 'Em All. 
Second and third album (one buy): Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets. 
Fourth and fifth album (one buy again): Helloween - Walls of Jericho and Flotsam and Jetsam - No Place for Disgrace.

All albums I knew and worshipped. I was actually aiming for Doomsday for the Deceiver but the record store did not have it, so I went with the second masterpiece.

IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 9:31pm
My first Metal album was Paranoid too, and it also was my dad's. Which is odd considering the fact that my dad is not a Metalhead, yet Paranoid is one of his most favourite albums of all time, and I don't think he's even ever listened to any other Metal albums in his life. Not even any other albums by Black Sabbath. Confused

However the first Metal albums I bought myself I think were Brave New World by Iron Maiden and Lateralus by Tool, which I both got at the same time along with Pink Floyd's Meddle.. (Although I had previously listened to several dozen other Metal albums on the Internet beforehand, I just hadn't gotten any of them yet)
Drunb View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drunb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 6:48am
I feel so new school XD
My first metal album would be either Inhuman Rampage or Ultra Beatdown by Dragonforce...
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ytse_Jam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 7:43pm

Before this, at about 9/10 years old, I was into italian pop music, Coldplay and shit like this. Then I put this cd on, taken from my brother's collection, and I said "wait.. this is incredible". And this is how Iron Maiden became my favourite band of all time.
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 8:40am
the 1st 3 i listened to were megadeth rust in peace then peace sells than iron maiden powerslav, but the first album i bought ever was 30 seconds to mars

Edited by vmoore - 14 Nov 2012 at 8:42am
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 8:23am
Unless you count Rush, since 2112 was the first album I ever bought (I don't consider Rush to be metal, myself), it was probably either Black Sabbath - Paranoid, or Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather, in the late '70s.
O Lodger! View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O Lodger! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 6:43am
First record I ever bought was Deep Purple (MkIV) - Come taste the band. Proto - metal. First True metal was Saxon's 'Come Taste the Band' single. I guess I'm old!
DT*RUSH View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT*RUSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 11:06pm
Rush-Rush (on tape)
Led Zeppelin (if you can count them)
Black Sabbath-paranoid (on vinyl)

Probably the very first ones I bought were:
Def Leppard- Pyromania (on cassette)
Quiet Riot-metal health (on vinyl; I think my friend at the time bought it for me)

Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 11:45am
I honestly can't remember, and I'm only 24 years old.
I remember Green Day's Dookie is one of the first studio albums I owned myself, but thats not "metal" itself. I'd heard Pantera, Sepultura and Metallica from my family as a kid, and when my brother got into Slipknot it started me watching music TV etc around 1999-2001.

I got into a few Nu Metal bands around that time, and Marilyn Manson.
I've stopped remembering which CDs were mine, which were my brothers, and in which order they came to be honest.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
ChaosAngel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChaosAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 5:56am
Ah yes, the early days of a lifelong love affair.  I remember it very clearly...

Back in the summer of '91, after a few years dabbling in Hard Rock, I purchased a cassette tape of the legendary Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden.  That cassette has long since been worn down to the point of breaking, but that was the first real metal album I owned.

Of course, a good number of those "Hard Rock" albums I mentioned show up on the lists here, so... I suppose you could say Appetite for Destruction, but at the time I didn't really think of that as "Metal".

Number of the Beast was the first time I thought of myself as "owning a metal album".

Up the Irons!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic