MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Agalloch Album

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Agalloch Album
    Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 12:30pm
I've been seeing the name Agalloch come up alot recently, and checked out some of their vids on YouTube, so my question is which Agalloch album would be a good starting point to get into this band? Beer
A wise man once said, "I have always wanted to be quoted."
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 1:07pm
The Mantle or Ashes Against the Grain. The better being the latter though many would disagree with me.

The Mantle is richer in acoustic guitars and overall less-metal atmosphere, methinks. Ashes is somehow darker and more distorted. Both are fantastic, anyhow.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 2:02pm
The Mantle is often regarded as the best Agalloch album, though I'm not nearly familiar enough with their albums to confirm this. Smile
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 12:59am
The Mantle.

That is their best, and honestly....a brilliant album. Just amazing.
Start with that.

Although I have all their albums and EP's and except for "The Grey" they are all good.
Awesome band!
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 9:48am
You can't go wrong with any of their three albums from the noughties. The latest is more black-metal than the previous two, who are more alternative/post. 
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 12:39pm
The Mantle, a great, great album. 
Also, "Ashes Against The Grain" was really good, and even their last one, "Marrow Of The Spirit", apparently overlooked here.

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 2:00pm
I'd start with either The Mantle or the debut, Pale Folklore. Probably The Mantle in most cases.
Mastosis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 4:04pm
Looks like I'll start with The Mantle. Thanks for your opinions, everyone!
A wise man once said, "I have always wanted to be quoted."
angelmk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelmk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 5:18am
Their best releases are Pale Folklore and The Mantle, IMO. Pale Folklore is more black metal oriented, The Mantle has many acoustic/neofolk parts which enrich the sound, explore whole new dimension, subtle mellodies, i like it a lot.The White is maybe the most beautiful EP i have ever heard, superb neofolk. Marrow of the Spirit is returning to their black metal roots, awesome album, they are back in form after little dissapointing Ashes Against the Grain, which wasn't that bad, it is fine release but compared to the other albums it's less good IMO 
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 10:50am
Gotta go with The Mantle or Ashes Agaisnt The Grain, IMO
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 10:24am
From the beginning.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image