Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rap/Hip Hop Discussion Thread!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 7:36pm
This is the only hip-hop I listen, and it's barely hip-hop LOL
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 10:47pm

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 11:12pm
^ pretty good

Gi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 11:29pm
I don't think I've come across Hip Hop as brilliant and lyrically original as Organized Konfusion. In this track they're rapping as two unborn babies, one wanting to be aborted and the other wanting to see life.

In fact the entire album is for the most part a concept album where each half of OK plays a character, one named Life, and the other name Malice. I very highly recommend it as well as OK's other two albums, the self-titled and Stress.

Gi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 9:55pm
Triceratopsil, if you like Dalek, I highly recommend Death Grips. I just discovered them myself actually, they're often sludgy and insane.

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Gi Gi wrote:

Triceratopsil, if you like Dalek, I highly recommend Death Grips. I just discovered them myself actually, they're often sludgy and insane.

I'm guessing you're the one who mentioned this band at Prog Archives before.  Cool stuff! Cool

I have to make mention of Digable Planets.  Pretty similar smooth style of hip-hop to A Tribe Called Quest, and add a female into the mix.  

Gi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

I'm guessing you're the one who mentioned this band at Prog Archives before.  Cool stuff! Cool

Hm? No, but that's awesome if someone did.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 11:58pm

Hm? No, but that's awesome if someone did.

Nevermind Embarrassed .  I'm used to the overlap between the sites. LOL
Gi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 6:25pm
It's cool. Also, upon further inspection, I'm pretty sure these guys sampled Magma's "De Futura" bassline here (starting about half a minute in):

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 7:46pm
I've been enjoying 2pac's Me Against the World lately. It's not the masterpiece that some would have you believe IMO, but it's a damn good album. Anybody else like him? Smile

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 11:57am
Time to resurrect the thread. Evil Smile This is slowly becoming one of my favorite hip hop albums... Train of Thought by Reflection Eternal. Absolutely top-notch lyricism and flow from Talib Kweli, and Hi Tek's beats are fantastic and intricate. Here's my favorite song from the album:

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 11:58am

I have to make mention of Digable Planets.  Pretty similar smooth style of hip-hop to A Tribe Called Quest, and add a female into the mix.  

That sounds really cool - I'll have to check them out. Smile
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 9:50pm

Great band, Zach Hill is the drummer.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 3:10pm
I might try The Roots, I've listened to some songs of theirs and I was pleasantly surprised

Edited by LittleBig - 11 Feb 2012 at 3:10pm
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

I might try The Roots, I've listened to some songs of theirs and I was pleasantly surprised

Colorofmoney suggested Undun to me and I found it to be quite good.
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 2:23pm
buck

gav1230 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gav1230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 12:49pm
Any heard of immortal technique? Hes got some great politically themed lyrics and he's starting to gain momentum here.
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"
-Che Gueverra
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 11:41pm
I don't like much rap/hip-hop, but I do enjoy some classic rap like Beastie Boys, Run DMC, and Public Enemy when I'm in the mood.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vixen Erotica View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vixen Erotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 3:58pm
I am not in love with hip-hop by any means, but, my favorite artist of this genre is: Missy Elliot....She has a cool personality and her music makes me laugh..My favorite song of hers is "I can't stand the rain(supa dupa fly)--"cruising in the jeep, me, me, me and Timothy", is awesome!!!!
moody metal maiden
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

I don't like much rap/hip-hop, but I do enjoy some classic rap like Beastie Boys, Run DMC, and Public Enemy when I'm in the mood.

4 years later and hip-hop is probably my third favorite genre of music after metal and electronic. Some of my favorites still include Beastie Boys and Run DMC, but also Blackalicious, A Tribe Called Quest, Cypress Hill, Eric B. & Rakim, Jungle Brothers, Kool Keith, Lyrics Born, The Pharcyde, and Slick Rick.

Unfortunately I have found it hard to find really good modern hip hop that interests me, but there are a couple like Death Grips and A-F-R-O who are making some great stuff.

Obviously with adding Beastie Boys, they're who I've been listening to most as far as hip hop goes, this song in particular:

If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic