MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rap/Hip Hop Discussion Thread!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

These guys have toured with Isis

d�lek is the only hip hop I've ever really listened to, and I listen mostly for the noise/industrial aspect. LOL
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 10:34am
this is one of the best HIP HOP songs ever made bros

incredible
 with massive MELLOTRON IN THE VERSES

Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

If I hear it and I have the chance to, I turn it off! LOL

True!Headbanger
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Balthamel Balthamel wrote:

incredible

I disagree, nobody wants to hear Eminem's voice.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 11:43am
I don't like Eminem either.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 12:49pm
I've heard that Black Eyed Peas have split up.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 3:48pm

incredible

I wasn't too impressed by that. I just don't understand all the rage behind him....
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I've heard that Black Eyed Peas have split up.

Couldn't care less. LOL

I've been really into these hip-hop albums lately... all 3 are awesome! ClapClap

GZA - Liquid Swords

Nas - Illmatic

Bone Thugs N Harmony - E1999 Eternal

I'll get to posting some samples later - I'd highly recommend all three of these to fans of dark, ominous, and hard-edged old school hip hop. Smile

Edited by J-Man - 26 May 2011 at 5:43pm
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

incredible

I wasn't too impressed by that. I just don't understand all the rage behind him....

I mostly posted it becouse I discoverd that the song have Mellotron which is a solid winner in my book and Eminems rage comes form a childhood full of childmolestation (towards him ) and a mom who was absent and not really a caring a mother and a difficult marrige and parenthood which had many difficulities, and many other  things also an important factor an absent father figure, he grew up without any father rolemodels. so eminem is a tortured mind basicly and he just let out all the steam he have in his mind. which is  ALOT, a shrink would have consolted with another srink if he had ever had a session with Eminem.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 5:41pm
No, I meant that I don't understand why so many people love him (though, of course, they're entitled to form their own opinions). Smile LOL

Of course, in a genre as aggressive as rap, rage is often a good thing - Eminem's lyrics, flow, and songwriting jsut hasn't ever really impressed me, though.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 6:04pm
this is the first Hip Hop song that i was awear of, I heard it  in 1995, i was 9 years old, the bass riff have stuck to my brain like a tatoo 

this song is the hip hop song nr 1. it defeins modern rap, it defeins the 90s, it defeins me Cool

The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 6:08pm
AS for me I've been into these three:

For now these are the only ones I have.

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 6:14pm
^ All of those albums are also amazing! Clap
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 6:15pm

Agreed, my favorite is probably NWA followed by The Fugees and than Wu-Tang.

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by The Block The Block wrote:

Agreed, my favorite is probably NWA followed by The Fugees and than Wu-Tang.

If I were to rank those albums, it would probably be:

1. Fugees - The Score (5 stars)
2. Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (5 stars)
3. NWA - Niggaz4Life (4.5 stars)

Man, picking between that #1 and #2 spot is difficult for me... both of those albums are all-time faves for me.

If you like that NWA album a lot, I'd definitely take a listen to the Bone Thugs N' Harmony album I posted above. It was even produced by Eazy E (he died during the production). The group's melodic, super-fast rapping style takes some time to get used to, but it's an absolutely awesome album. The keyboard arrangements are simply unbeatable. And the music is just sooo dark and the lyrics are extremely sinister too - these guys were from a BAD part of Cleveland, and the lyrics often reflect that. Take a listen to this:

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 5:52pm
Any other fans of Illmatic here? I've been hooked on this classic lately! Clap

Nas is such a fantastic rapper! Supposedly his lines on NY State of Mind was all improvised - that's why he says "I don't know how to start this" at the beginning. Genuinely talented MC, deservedly considered a legend IMO.
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 8:23pm
For sure, illmatic is one of those classics that really lives up the hype. In one of the share houses I lived in there were three copies on wax

Thought some of you ol' school fans would find this interesting, listening to this brought back so many good memories:
http://www.mixcloud.com/ninjamixdump/bobby-corridor-hip-hop-megamix/

One of my favourite tracks:

Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 8:09am

Any other fans of Illmatic here? I've been hooked on this classic lately! Clap

Nas is such a fantastic rapper! Supposedly his lines on NY State of Mind was all improvised - that's why he says "I don't know how to start this" at the beginning. Genuinely talented MC, deservedly considered a legend IMO.

I saw this cat live in march is is the best rap concert I have been on, so fresh and energic, he was a fierce ball of plasmaic energy. and he is literate and very smart, and if Bob Dylan is the poet of rock, Nas is the poet of Hip Hop he is the Wordsworth of New York, the Shakespeare of the Hudson river, the Joyce of Queensbridge 
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 2:33am
Anyone into Southern Rap/ Conscious Hip Hop here? 2011 has so far been pretty good for rap, if you like the genre you should definitely check out these two albums: 

Cunninlynguists-Oneirology

Big K.R.I.T.- Return Of 4eva

Edited by Phonebook Eater - 02 Jun 2011 at 2:33am

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 8:57pm
^^^^^ I've enjoyed the Big K.R.I.T, not amazing but well worth listening to. Didn't get much of the Cunninlynguists LP, I really liked A Piece of Strange 'n' Southernunderground, but have not felt much from them since. The South seems to be getting a bit more rep these days, I've been a fan of (the big hitters) U.G.K., 8Ball & MJG, Geto Boys, et cetera for years. Probably have couple hundred (maybe a little over 200) of DJ Screw's mixed tapes too, which are generally in heavy rotation. 

For some more quirks you should check Count Bass D - Dwight Spitz. His done some shit with MF DOOM 'n' that crew over the years, so if you're into that kind of style well worth the listen.

Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic