Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rap/Hip Hop Discussion Thread!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rap/Hip Hop Discussion Thread!
    Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 10:03pm
I'm no expert on the genre, but I've been listening to a few hip hop/rap albums lately (notably The Score by Fugees, The Carnival by Wyclef Jean, and Enter the Wu-Tang by Wu-Tang Clan).

I'm sure this isn't the most popular genre on a metal site, but hopefully it can lead towards some good discussions and recommendations. Smile And of course, the forum isn't complete without at least having one thread about hip hop. LOL

Word up yo. Cool
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 10:24pm
I think Dalek is about the only rap group I listen to
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 3:50am
I listened to some rap back when I was younger, but the style never really caught on with me. Ice Cube, Ice-T, N.W.A., Ghetto Boys, Onyx, Gravediggaz and of course Cypress Hill were some of the artists I listened to. I remember Onyx having some really aggressive vocals which I greatly enjoyed. Ghetto Boys had some almost gore themed lyrics about dismembered corpses and other nasty things and the ever stoned Cypress Hill were favorites among the dopesmokers in high school.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 6:11am
I like the Beastie Boys because they're different, and I have a couple of their albums. I also quite like A Tribe Called Quest and De La Soul although I do not own any albums with them (but maybe my girlfriend does... she's into hip hop and R'n'B). There are also some old school Danish hip hop artists that I like , and I attended a Jyder M� Attituder show last year in Ringk�bing. I was even in a rap band once, but don't tell anyone.

I tend to dislike recent rap music and hip hop (especially gangsta rap) because it's all become streamlined and it sounds alike; it's basically become pop music. Eeech!
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 9:51am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I'm no expert on the genre, but I've been listening to a few hip hop/rap albums lately (notably The Score by Fugees, The Carnival by Wyclef Jean, and Enter the Wu-Tang by Wu-Tang Clan).

I'm sure this isn't the most popular genre on a metal site, but hopefully it can lead towards some good discussions and recommendations. Smile And of course, the forum isn't complete without at least having one thread about hip hop. LOL

Word up yo. Cool
Grrrrrrr.... Though Wu-Tang isn't all that bad Embarrassed

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 11:09am
^ You need to get The Score by Fugees. Easy 5-star album IMO. The chemistry between the 3 MC's in that group is unbelievable... every rapper in the group has an incredibly different style. Listen to this:

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 11:11am
I'm sure my girlfriend has it. Wink
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 11:54am
Mr J-Man you gotta get this album, this album is brilliant one of the best I have heard and proofs that  anything the guys in Outkast touches becomes gold

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 12:57pm

These guys have toured with Isis
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 11:35am
My brother owns a number of albums by The Roots.  I listened to one a few days ago (I think it was Do You Want More?), and thought it was pretty cool.  
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 12:36pm
Not a genre of music that I have ever developed an interest in.  There were a few songs back in the early days from Run D-M-C and Tone-Loc that I liked, and every so often I'll hear a hip-hop or rap song that I'll like, but I've never had a desire to go out of my way to listen to it. 
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 1:20pm
If I hear it and I have the chance to, I turn it off! LOL
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 2:18pm
^LOL Metal fan to the bone eh?
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 2:50am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

^LOL Metal fan to the bone eh?

Every god damn inch and proud to say so Approve LOL
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 4:12pm
I gave The Carnival Vol. II by Wyclef Jean another chance yesterday, only to be disappointed yet again. It's really hard to believe that this pop-oriented disaster is the follow-up to the experimental masterpiece that was The Carnival. This is the only good song on the entire album:

Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 9:00pm
As much as I hate this genre, I can't stand how catchy this song is, even though it's quite vulgar Censored

And the lyrics pose a rather contrary-to-what-you-want-to-actually-do in life, morally (well at least hopefully)

Edited by andyman1125 - 20 Jan 2011 at 9:05pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 6:19am
Is that hip hop? It sounds more like a sort of pseudo-retro kind of soul music.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 6:43am
Yeah that's not really hip hop, though I'm far from an expert on the genre. Funny stuff though. Cee Lo Green was hilarious on Saturday Night Live last week. LOL
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 6:54am
I don't follow contemporary pop music that much these days, so I've actually only heard parts of Cee Lo Green's song, and I'v enever experienced him in interviews or other contexts not relating to music.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 7:04am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I don't follow contemporary pop music that much these days, so I've actually only heard parts of Cee Lo Green's song, and I'v enever experienced him in interviews or other contexts not relating to music.

I never even heard of Cee Lo Green before last weekend. LOL My knowledge in the modern pop field is sooooo bad...

On the original topic of the thread, I've been hooked on Enter the Wu-Tang yet again. I gave it a rest for a month, but I had to hear it again earlier this morning. Everything here is just excellent! Clap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic