MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is up with King's X?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 3:44pm
I think that the Self-titled 4th album is probably my favorite, although I like them all to varying degrees.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 10:48am

Currently listening to Out of the Silent Planet = Yum!!!

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 2:55pm

Hmm...so I guess I should start with the first 3 - 5 albums when I get around to it. I�ve been meaning to give King�s X a second chance but had no idea where to start.

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I only have one album and it never did much for me ( is it called Black Sunday or something like that?). I too have wondered why they have the "Classic" status stamped on them. A fan might be able to give us some recommendations to clear things up.

That's the worst King's X album in my collection (I own 7 of their albums).  It was basically an album of pre-Out Of The Silent Planet songs re-recorded.  I'm a pretty big fan of their first 5 albums.  Gretchen and Faith Hope Love are my two favorite. Smile
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 9:34am
I have their entire discography and they are one of my favorite bands.  Their first three or four albums are probably their best.  They were on the "cutting edge" of progressive metal at the time that Dream Theater arrived on the scene.  By the time Dream Theater released Images and Words, King's X had already released their first three albums.  They played a brand of hard rock/heavy metal that was merged with the harmonized vocals of Yes and/or the Beatles.  Just like many metal bands of the 80's and early 90's, what was considered heavy metal back then, is just merely hard rock through the view of modern day heavy metal glasses.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 8:43am
I have two albums (XV and Faith, Hope, Love). I wasn't blown away by either, but I guess they were pretty important in the early prog metal world. 
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 2:55am
I only have one album and it never did much for me ( is it called Black Sunday or something like that?). I too have wondered why they have the "Classic" status stamped on them. A fan might be able to give us some recommendations to clear things up.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 2:22am
King's X is apparently one of the most influential bands of the late 80s - early 90s. They contributed to tons of prog bands, grunge and alt bands, modern metal bands, and even pop music. Prog legends like Portnoy and Gildenlow have mentioned some of their innovations.

Yet nobody seems to know anything about them. If you asked your average prog or metal fan what their most "classic" or greatest album is, they may not answer. Forums rarely talk about them, even on PA I don't recall a single topic on them. Despite their "classic" or "legendary" status, nobody really seems to talk about them.

Heck, I'm not sure this topic will even take off, because not many people seem to listen to them. But discuss please.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image