Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wi-fi cuts out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wi-fi cuts out
    Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 6:42am
Just wondering if anyone has had this problem and if so how they fixed it. 

Our modem is connected to the main PC upstairs but I spend much of my internet time on my laptop downstairs so I can listen to music on the Hi-fi at the same time. Recently for no apparent reason my laptop loses its connection to the internet and although it is set to automatically re-connect it can be a bit frustrating as at times it seems to be happening every few minutes. It doesn't happen on the PC which is connected directly so it's obviously an issue with something to do with the wi-fi on the laptop. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Edited by Nightfly - 26 Oct 2017 at 6:43am
Sisslith View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sisslith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 7:14am
Mm I haven't had that problem, but off the top of my head I guess you could restart your modem, check if any wire is disconnected, run a network analysis with your antivirus software, call your internet provider, surf in forums... Ermm

I'm sorry I can't be of much help here Embarrassed

Only the dead have seen the end of war.
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 7:42am
^ Thanks anyway. Actually I found a video on Youtube with a few suggestions on altering a few settings. I've tried it and so far it hasn't cut out again. Fingers crossed!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 8:07am
There could be a couple of reasons for this that I can think of if the problem persists:

1. There's something wrong with the wi-fi output on your router (since your wired desktop works you know your actual internet connection is fine). 

2. The laptop's wireless pickup has developed a fault. Computers have to have either an internal or external pickup to receive wi-fi. If you use an external (not likely unless your laptop happens to be ancient) it's easy to replace, less so for internal. Do you have another wireless device in your house (or know someone who has one) such as a phone or tablet to test with?

Wouldn't hurt giving your ISP a call either way. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 8:50am
^ Cheers Adam, fingers crossed I have it sorted. It's been going on for a few days but been fine the last hour since I changed some of the power management settings suggested on Youtube. not sure why this should make a difference though. 

My daughters Ipad has been fine by the way so it was just my laptop it would seem.

I'll see how it goes and hopefully won't need to resort to replacing anything like a wireless pick up.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 8:54am
With computers the thing is if it's been fine and you haven't changed anything recently then it's more likely that a fault has developed. Changing a setting which didn't need to be changed before may only delay the inevitable. How old is the laptop? 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 9:20am
^ 2 year old.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 11:18am
Okay, if its had updates recently there's a chance that something is interfering with the wi-fi driver. Maybe do a system restore back to a date you know it was working. 

There is some good information here if you haven't read the same info elsewhere: https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001575.htm
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 2:44pm
^ Cheers, I'll save that for future reference. think I've cracked it for now anyway - hasn't cut out for quite a while now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic