MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Best metal publication in the business...and why?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best metal publication in the business...and why?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best metal publication in the business...and why?
    Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 11:07am
There's a ton of metal magazines out there, and with the inventing of the internet they've been able to reach an almost incomprehensibly large audience. But with this market there's bound to be some competition, so my question to you today is this:

What is your preferred site you tend to get your news/opinions/pieces about rock and metal from? And if you have one, what are the reasons you like it? Maybe you don't browse metal publications and if so, also why?

To start off I'll give my personal opinion. I honestly dislike almost every metal magazine I've come across, as they've done well to befoul themselves with obviously politically sided rhetoric (not unsimilar to the general media biz these days). But I do have a few I like, my favorite being Blabbermouth. Most others I don't like though and I recently sort of drifted away from Loudwire, but I digress.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 12:26pm
I used to read Metal Hammer, both in print and online, but stopped years ago. I don't actively follow anything like that now. I get the news from the artists I care about via Facebook mostly. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 12:54pm
Terrorizer was always the best extreme one, and Hot Metal Aussie mag) was always the best general one. Still buy the odd Metal Hammer, because it's all I can find now, and generally regret it straight afterwards.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 4:20pm
I like Zero Tolerance magazine the best but it tends to cater for the more extreme side of metal so not all encompassing but usually it's well written and informative.

I pick up Metal Hammer fairly often too which of course covers all aspects of metal.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 4:28pm
I used to like Loudwire, but they've gotten a bit too politically driven for my tastes. I like Blabbermouth and Metal Forces, that's about it. Though I am curious to get a Metal Hammer, to see what it's like these days. I enjoy reading the ones from the 80's and 90's.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
keefer1970 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefer1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 12:05pm
I haven't picked up an actual printed metal magazine since Metal Maniacs called it quits some years back. 

Growing up in the mid/late '80s my brother and I had a pretty massive library of rock/metal mags -- Circus, Hit Parader, RIP, Metal Edge, Metal Maniacs, Metal Hammer (U.K.), Metal Forces (U.K.), and on and on, plus a lot of underground 'zines as well. I miss those days. 

I stupidly chose to get rid of my '80s rock mag collection when I moved out of my parents' home in the mid 1990s - cuz at the time I didn't have room to store them in the small apartment I was going into. I kept on buying mags though, so I ended up building a whole new collection from the mid 90s onward... I still have those stacked in boxes in the closet, but it would be fun to re-read those oldies again!!

...besides, when I see the prices that back issues of those '80s mags go for on eBay nowadays I wish I could reach back in time and smack myself. 

Edited by keefer1970 - 19 Sep 2017 at 12:07pm
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by keefer1970 keefer1970 wrote:

I stupidly chose to get rid of my '80s rock mag collection when I moved out of my parents' home in the mid 1990s - cuz at the time I didn't have room to store them in the small apartment I was going into. I kept on buying mags though, so I ended up building a whole new collection from the mid 90s onward... I still have those stacked in boxes in the closet, but it would be fun to re-read those oldies again!!

...besides, when I see the prices that back issues of those '80s mags go for on eBay nowadays I wish I could reach back in time and smack myself. 

I checked Ebay for Metal Maniac issues and they seemed to be going at most for $20 each. Same goes for Circus. It'd be a bitch to collect them again though I'm sure.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 1:30am
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Originally posted by keefer1970 keefer1970 wrote:

I checked Ebay for Metal Maniac issues and they seemed to be going at most for $20 each. Same goes for Circus. It'd be a bitch to collect them again though I'm sure.

I wouldn't pay that for Circus. It was shit.

Metal Maniacs was pretty expensive here, as were most mags except Hot Metal. Most mags were about $8 in 1990, and ended up at $12-14 as the 90s went on. They all seemed to top out at about that price, and still cost about that now. Well, Metal Hammer does, because it's the only one I can still find. I see the odd Kerrang! mag, but it's a pop magazine now, compared to the old days.
keefer1970 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefer1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 11:41am
Quote I checked Ebay for Metal Maniac issues and they seemed to be going at most for $20 each. Same goes for Circus. It'd be a bitch to collect them again though I'm sure.

Yep, that's why I haven't done it. Haha. 

I picked up a stack of Circus mags from the very early '80s at a yard sale a couple of years ago, though, and those were actually a pretty interesting read. In addition to the usual hard rockin' suspects that were the mag's bread and butter when I started reading it in the mid '80s (i.e. Van Halen, AC/DC, etc.) there were interviews w/Pink Floyd, Robert Plant, Elvis Costello (!) etc. -- all acts that never would've been included in the mag once they went all-hair-metal, all-the-time.  

...and of course the advertisements were a real time capsule! 

Edited by keefer1970 - 21 Sep 2017 at 11:43am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic