Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doctor Who

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 7:33am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Escape the predictable format. The last three Doctor's have all done exactly three series and all regenerate in a Christmas special. Have Doctor's last longer or even shorter tenure's again like the old days and don't make them regenerate exactly the same time every cycle.

Agreed with this. I actually thought Capaldi was going to be the one to buck the trend since I'm sure it was initially announced that he'd be staying on after Moffat left and would do at least 4 series. With that said I'd like Whittaker to last at least three (providing she'd good in the role) otherwise it's going to look like the BBC letting haters have their way.

Don't announce in advance when an actor (Doctor or companion) is leaving. Make it a surprise. Goes doubly for the Doctor: a regeneration would be much more dramatic if the audience didn't know it was coming or at least who was playing the next Doctor.

I don't mind so much with the companion characters but yeah, totally with you about The Doctor. Tennant really should have regenerated unexpectedly in The Stolen Earth.

Keep the 13th Doctor's main companion female, otherwise they're just going to be accused of completely reversing the traditional roles in the series.

I have a feeling it will be a male companion and the BBC will get exactly those accusations.

To be honest I wish Bill was staying on. I don't think they developed her character much in a single season, but I guess they want to do it like when Moffat took over and have a complete clean slate with the main cast.

Allow some older characters to return. Simm's Master was a bit of a missed chance IMO as I think he could have featured more integrally in the story. Many actors have gone on record as being open to returning and I'd be interested to see some characters again, such as Captain Jack Harkness, the Paternoster Gang, Martha & Micky, and perhaps even some past Doctor's.

Yeah I thought Simm's return could have been better. He seemed only there to fill in a little backstory regarding how he regenerated into Missy (which we didn't even get to see on screen), and to 'write off' the character, at least for a while.

As for returning characters, I'd like to see any of the past Doctor's return just to see how they react with their future female incarnation. I don't think it would be anything like The Master and Missy's meeting.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 7:55am
Saw the trailer for the Christmas special and it's called Twice Upon a Time and contrary to previous reports Bill will be in it.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 1:08pm
Just watched the debut of Series 11. 

New Doctor came across as hyperactive. My impression is that she's like a female Tennant. Found her more immediately likable than Smith and Capaldi, who both needed several episodes to grow on me.

The lack of a intro and new titles and theme to go with them was a surprise and actually a disappointment. 

And spoiler for those who've not watched it yet:

Where the hell is the TARDIS? Are they going to spend the whole season looking for it?
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 1:12pm
I’m not sure whether I thought Jodie W was brilliant as The Doctor or comes across like a CBBC presenter. I’m sure she’ll grow on me.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 11:48am
I liked her. I was impressed with the episode overall. I'm looking forward to the next one.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 9:45am
Glad they found the Tardis in yesterday's episode and didn't drag it out as a series arc. I was almost ready to subtitle this season as 'Dude, Where's My TARDIS?' after the first one. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 5:23pm
Thought the end of this week's episode was rushed but that's my only real complaint about this season so far. Last week's episode was excellent. 
GG2U

MorniumGoatahl View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorniumGoatahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 6:10pm
Yeah apart from that I thought it was an alright episode. Though my kids are now convinced a giant spider is going to destroy the bathtub. 

Overall I think it's been a decent DW season. Not RTD era excellent but decent and every episode has been better than some of the later Smith and early Capaldi ones (also Jodie is the first Doctor since Tennant my kids have liked). I'm just hoping Internet moaning minnies don't get Jodie replaced or worse, the series canceled altogether. Every week certain quarters are launching online attacks against everything about the series they can think of, when it's really not at all different to previous seasons. To me the fact that people are complaining about it being PC - especially in regard to the racially diverse cast, shows that last week's Rosa episode was completely justified. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 6:25pm
I swear most of the complaints are by people who don't really understand the series. Such as last week complaining not about the message of the episode but the sheer fact they did a historical episode. It's a show about time travel. There always has been historical episodes. or complaining that Jodie isn't The Doctor - completely missing the point about regeneration being about change. And honestly she still reminds me of Tennant's portrayal a lot. 

Originally posted by MorniumGoatahl MorniumGoatahl wrote:

To me the fact that people are complaining about it being PC - especially in regard to the racially diverse cast, shows that last week's Rosa episode was completely justified. 

Pretty accurate I reckon. Guess these people will really explode if the Doctor ever regenerates as anything but white. Unless they manage to cast Idris Elba. Everyone seems pretty much okay with that as far as I can tell. 
GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 12:57pm
I have mixed feelings, four episodes in to series 11. I like the new Doctor, but I don't think having three companions and giving the series more of an ensemble feel is really allowing her to shine. As for the companions, to my surprise it's Bradley Walsh who seems to be the best of the three. I kind of assumed that he'd end up being the third (well, fourth) wheel of the group. I don't dislike the other two, but I don't see that they've developed much character yet. Ryan was pretty ridiculous in episode 2, trying to run off and fight like that and thinking he could because he plays video games. It was a really, really cringe-worthy scene for me. I did like most of the opener except for making us wait so long to even see the Doctor and the Rosa Parks episode was a solid drama, but then again last week the spider episode was quite poor.

I don't think the last few seasons have been up to the standard seen from 1 through 6, well, 7 and a half actually. For me it actually turn a downturn when Amy and Rory went. The 50th was good though (but I'd have preferred Amy and Rory to have stuck around till then, since they're the companion's most associated with Smith) and I did think 9 was the standout of Capaldi's tenure, but then 10 had some downright weak episodes. 11 seems to be going the same way so far.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 1:53am
I thought last week's episode was rather poor to be honest. 
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 3:57am
I thought it was poor too. Bar set too low.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 4:54am
Won't be the first DW series to have a real dud in it. Even series 2 had the bloody awful Love & Monsters in it. Hopefully it's the only one in series 11 though. We're getting four episodes written by people other than Chibnall from tomorrow, so it'll be interesting if the quality picks up.

Overall I can't say the first half of series 11 has been significantly worse than series 10, which definitely wasn't as good as 9 (the best Capaldi series for me). I know a lot of people are going to say this is worse and blame the female Doctor, but Jodie can't help the writing she's given to work with. The early parts of last week seemed so out of character for any incarnation of the Doctor to me. But even Tennant couldn't have saved last week's episode and for all the complainers I don't think anyone can honestly say any past Doctor would have made the current series better. It's the writing that's the problem.

Episodes 1 & 3 were really good though.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 7:03am
Whitaker has shown a lot of promise as the Doctor - I've been impressed.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 10:09am
I agree that 9 was Capaldi's best series. Actually, the middle series of the last two Doctor's was my favourite. 6 was Smith's best as far as I'm concerned. For Tennant it's close between 3 and 4 though. Maybe 12 if it goes another will be Jodie's best series. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 1:40pm
A much better episode tonight, in my opinion. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 6:39am
Another good one last night. Those robots were actually bloody creepy and I'm never popping bubble wrap again. Wink
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 4:35pm
Some 'insider' has leaked that Jodie is leaving Doctor Who after the next series. This hasn't been confirmed by either her or the BBC yet, but it wouldn't be a shock. Three and out is basically the show's thing now. 

Doctor Who doesn't have the quality it once did, which is a writing issue, but I'll be disappointed for a number of reasons if this is correct (which I expect it is per the above). Mainly because I don't think we've seen the best Jodie can do yet and I don't think they can adequately resolve the Timeless Child reveal of the last season in a shorter 2021 season. Also because it is going to be an even shorter season than the already shorter seasons due to Covid. And I really hate the three and out trend. Is it really too much to ask to bring a bit of unpredictability into the program?
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 5:54am
It's just been announced that the next showrunner of Doctor Who is... Russell T Davis. 

Hopefully that's a sign that the BBC knows the writing under Chris Chibnall hasn't been up to snuff. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 6:10am
Doctor Who has just cast its new lead: Ncuti Gatwa.

Best known for Sex Education on Netflix.

Which would explain why I've never heard of him. LOL

He is the first black lead of the show, albeit not the first black Doctor.

The cynical part of me sees this casting as just trying to appease the woke crowd, but I'm withholding judgement until we get to see his performance. Ultimately it is not the actor that will save this show, but the showrunner. I'm hopeful because its Russell T David again. Chibnall really did Jodie Whitaker's era dirty. The last two specials were kinda crap. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic