Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doctor Who

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doctor Who
    Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 3:03pm
Are there any fellow Whovian's here?

The next Doctor was revealed today and for the first time in the show's 50+ year history the Doctor is going to be female. Jodie Whittaker takes the role at Christmas.

Fan reaction, as expected, has been mixed to the news.

I'm tentively excited by this casting, as I thought The Master changing to female worked well during Peter Capaldi's tenure, and Doctor Who has always been a show revolving around change.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 5:08pm
I'm a big fan of the 4th Doctor (Tom Baker) episodes, but I haven't watched much of the others. I've watched a few episodes of the newer series, but I didn't get into it as much.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 5:33pm
I like Doctor Who back in the late 00's but I tuned in recently and thought it was extremely dull.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 9:30pm
No but i like Horton Hears A Who :P

aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 10:01pm
Delete this man's account. Right now.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 1:48am
I haven't watched it regularly for year's - it's that Saturday teatime slot, alway's seem to be doing something else and never recorded it. I should really as I used to enjoy it.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 1:48am
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

The next Doctor was revealed today and for the first time in the show's 50+ year history the Doctor is going to be female. Jodie Whittaker takes the role at Christmas.

Fan reaction, as expected, has been mixed to the news.

Isn't it always though? People will always find something to complain about the casting choice. This time it's because it's a woman. Last time it was because Capaldi was much older than the New Who Doctor's had previously been. I didn't start watching until towards the end of Tennant's era so wasn't following the 11th Doctor reveal but I expect there was a portion of so called fans who said Matt Smith was too young. You can't please everyone.

One day if the show continues they'll cast someone, male or female, who isn't white and that'll be another reason for some to complain about it. 

And I bet that as usual half the people who say they won't watch because of the casting choice actually will watch and will later admit that it worked out fine. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 1:52am
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

I like Doctor Who back in the late 00's but I tuned in recently and thought it was extremely dull.

Yeah a lot of people have said the writing in the recent series hasn't been as strong. I've enjoyed them since Moffat took over but the Russel T Davies series were better IMO. My favourite I think remains series 4. 

I've enjoyed Capaldi in the role though, I just don't think he had the best scripts to work with most of the time. 

A change in head writer may be just what this show needs. Fortunately that happens with the next regeneration. 
GG2U

rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 1:36pm
I am a mild fan of the program.  Being on this side of the pond, I wasn't familiar with the show accept through references from others sources.  I have managed to watch a couple of the series during the David Tennant / Billie Piper years, but haven't really watched it lately.  Really a TV show producers dream to be able to replace a show's star with another actor and not have to skip a beat because it is part of the story line.  :) 

I'm not sure that I am overly thrilled with the idea of making Doctor Who a woman, but at least in the case of Doctor Who it is a continuous plot line and not unreasonable from story lines to have this occur.  Personally, I do tend to have a real problem with changes made to real historical people though such as Hamilton or fictional characters with a history such as Spider-man or Thor or Doctor Watson.  If the historical person was a white male or the character was written as a white male then that is who should be portraying the character.  Not a black male.  Not a woman.    There is outrage when white men are cast as blacks or Asians or American Indians and there should be a similar outrage when the reverse is true. 

I refused to watch Elementary with Doctor Watson portrayed by a woman.  I've heard the show is/was quite good but the premise just bothered me. 

On the other hand, I wasn't really happy when Battlestar Galactica returned with Starbuck as a woman...but probably because the original show was a just a distant memory at that point in time so it turned out fine with that change.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

There is outrage when white men are cast as blacks or Asians or American Indians and there should be a similar outrage when the reverse is true. 

I was actually saying this to a friend of mine last week. Cast a black actor to play a character written as white = no problem (they've done this with the Stephen King Dark Tower film, though I personally don't have an issue with Idris Elba in the role). 

Do the reverse = racism. 

At least in the case of Doctor Who with the regeneration feature it's completely canon for a gender swap (and an actor race swap) to occur, though it's also been made clear that a gender swap is rare so I don't expect a female Doctor is going to be anywhere close to the norm for the future of the show. 

In the episode Hell Bent the Time Lord known as The General regenerates from a white male to a black female. The episode implies that the previously seen male incarnation was the odd one out. So the so called 14th Doctor (which will technically be the 16th incarnation) should, based on lore, be male again.  

Edited by adg211288 - 18 Jul 2017 at 1:51pm
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 1:59pm
^Aren't there supposed to just be 13 regenerations of the Doctor? One of my friends told me that, but that was quite a while ago, so maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

I'm in agreement, I've always found it really hypocritical when there's backlash when a white person is cast in a role that was written as another race, but not when it's the reverse.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

^Aren't there supposed to just be 13 regenerations of the Doctor? One of my friends told me that, but that was quite a while ago, so maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Yes. He ran out with Matt Smith's 11th Doctor but they wrote it into the program in his last episode that he got another regeneration cycle, starting with Capaldi. They wouldn't have had to do that for a while but they kinda shot themselves in the foot by adding in John Hurt's War incarnation in between the 8th and 9th and having 10th regenerate but keep the same face during series 4, meaning Tennant counts as two as far as regeneration's go.
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 2:29pm
My Dad had a bunch of sci-fi TV VHS when I was growing up, including old Doctor Who. I used to watch them with him often. Some of the really old ones are very dated and badly acted by today's standards of course, but I still have an appreciation for them. It's sad that so many episodes are still lost. I've also watched the revived series since it returned in 2005.

I'm skeptical of the new Doctor but I always am until their first episode debuts, so its nothing to do with her gender. I think it will be strange for a while though because this won't be like The Master/Missy who only popped up every now and then.

Speaking of Missy, anyone else sure that last episode of series 10 isn't really the end of her (or perhaps him again, in the future)?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

Speaking of Missy, anyone else sure that last episode of series 10 isn't really the end of her (or perhaps him again, in the future)?

Of course not. They kill The Master 'permanently' all the time (TV movie & Last of the Time Lords being two such instances) only for eventual resurrection in one form or another. They even established in this very series that Time Lord's can have relapses of life which was why the Doctor was supposed to guard her body for 1000 years after her execution that he was supposed to carry out. The character will be back with a new, presumably male, face, though maybe a Doctor or two down the line. 

Edited by adg211288 - 18 Jul 2017 at 2:38pm
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 8:04pm
Love the show but have got some major catching up to do...I think I last saw season 8 of the new series? Yeeeaahh.

Edited by Psydye - 18 Jul 2017 at 8:06pm
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 8:06pm
My problem is that i've watched many episodes of it but i can never seem to catch the fever like everyone else does. It's definately a cool series in all its forms. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 12:48am
As far as I'm concerned the show really needs to do the following things under the new lead writer:

1. Escape the predictable format. The last three Doctor's have all done exactly three series and all regenerate in a Christmas special. Have Doctor's last longer or even shorter tenure's again like the old days and don't make them regenerate exactly the same time every cycle.
  2. Don't announce in advance when an actor (Doctor or companion) is leaving. Make it a surprise. Goes doubly for the Doctor: a regeneration would be much more dramatic if the audience didn't know it was coming or at least who was playing the next Doctor.
  3. Keep the 13th Doctor's main companion female, otherwise they're just going to be accused of completely reversing the traditional roles in the series. 
  4. Allow some older characters to return. Simm's Master was a bit of a missed chance IMO as I think he could have featured more integrally in the story. Many actors have gone on record as being open to returning and I'd be interested to see some characters again, such as Captain Jack Harkness, the Paternoster Gang, Martha & Micky, and perhaps even some past Doctor's. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 1:07am
^It would be cool to see them bring Romana back, it was interesting having another time lord being the companion in some of the 4th Doctor serials.

Edited by Unitron - 19 Jul 2017 at 11:14am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 7:40am
I think you mean Romana, she was the Time Lady who was with 4th, in two incarnations. It would be interesting to know if she's still alive in a new regeneration (same for Susan, his granddaughter) now that Gallifrey is back and the Time Lords are around again. Though that unknown woman in The End of Time could have been either one of them I guess, though it was reported at the time that she was supposed to be the Doctor's mother. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 11:15am
^Yeah, that's what I meant. I got the names mixed up, I think Leela was the tribal companion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic