MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2017 in metal so far

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefer1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 9:39am
Stormspell Records was nice enough to send me digital sneak peeks of their Fall 2017 releases, so I've got a bunch of new stuff to plow thru for my blog:

Blazon Stone - Down in the Dark
Fire Strike - Slaves of Fate
Numenor - Chronicles
Yuri Fulone - Your Kingdom Will Fall 
Stereo Nasty - Twisting the Blade
Palantir - Lost Between Dimensions

Edited by keefer1970 - 28 Aug 2017 at 9:40am
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 10:50pm
2017 albums I've enjoyed so far are:

Immolation - Atonement
Iced Earth - Incorruptible

and that's about it! I really can't think of anyone else, either because I haven't checked out that many 2017 releases or I just have an incredibly bad memory.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 6:51am
^ You picked 2 good ones anyway.
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 7:28pm
I have a question regarding Soen & Avatarium.

I just picked up the newest Soen cd, and there was a sticker on it saying 'ex-members of Opeth, Amon Amarth, and Avatarium'.

Now, I know that Martin Lopez played in both Opeth and Amon Amarth. Marcus Jidell is the guy from Avatarium...is he now an "ex-member" of Avatarium?!?! I certainly hope not.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 11:00pm
He's not left Avatarium. It's probably just a badly worded sticker. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 8:15am
I have got to keep up more with Symphonic metal.

I just found out about two very cool bands. Scardust, from Israel, released a full-length album in August (mp3 only Cry ) and their couple of videos from their 2015 ep on youtube, they sound excellent, and not your typical symphonic metal.

Then I discovered a band out of Boston called Seven Spires, they also released an album in August. The gal singing has a killer set of pipes, and they also have a quite unusual sound to them, based on the couple of videos I've watched.

Both bands aren't weird by any means, but they do go above and beyond the typical Nightwish-type style you hear from so many symphonic metal bands with female singers.

Edited by Jbird - 13 Sep 2017 at 5:23pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 5:21am
Good first impressions here, even RYM seems to like this one.

I feel like her dark folk side is more prominent here so it's actually even less of a pure metal album than M was, but it works for me. There are some stronger doom metal elements too, especially in the track Funeral which features Chelsea Wolfe. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 9:44am
^ First listen and I think it's amazing! 
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 9:54am
I'm impressed too. M took a bit of time to grow on me, but I like this one a lot right away.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 10:59am
I can add Overkill's 'The Grinding Wheel' to my list now...hell of an album!
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 5:22am
This is great!...

Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 7:46pm
I just got the Seven Spires - Solveig album, holy Toledo, that's a very good album

I think my top 3 albums of 2017 so far are Threshold - Legends Of The Shires, MindMaze - Resolve, and that Seven Spires - Solveig.

The new Iced Earth is great too, best album with Stu. And the Unleash The Archers is great.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 2:27pm
We're in the last quarter of the year now and I have to say I think it's been a very good one so far!

I try to be more reserved with giving out five star ratings than I used to be, but I've had no less than nine albums this year where I couldn't justify anything less (and did try to in some cases). Quite a few 4.5's as well. Of course this is only counting reviewed albums. I've been reviewing steadily this year but not done as many as some years and have been picking and choosing mostly the albums I feel most positive about, especially those I'm purchased for myself. Promo reviewing interests me little these days. I currently stand at 58 2017 reviews. I think I'm going to try to aim for at least 70 before the year is out. 

It's also been a funny year for someone who keeps saying how burned out he is on prog metal, with three albums in my top 5 being prog albums. 

Anyhow, here's how my current top 10 stands, a couple of them actually being very recent reviews:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/progenie-terrestre-pura/oltreluna

I can't see this one being unseated from my number one spot now. These guys incorporate many unusual elements into their black metal sound and it still blows me away every time I stick it on.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/mindmaze/resolve

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/ayreon/the-source

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/anubis-gate/covered-in-black

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/ruby-the-hatchet/planetary-space-child

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/esoctrilihum/mystic-echo-from-a-funeral-dimension

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/locust-leaves/a-subtler-kind-of-light

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/madrost/the-essence-of-time-matches-no-flesh

This one is the only one of these I don't physically own, mostly because it's a self-released CD and the postage is excessive to the UK. I still say it's better than Terminal Redux though. Tongue

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/fen/winter

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/iced-earth/incorruptible

The only 4.5 review here. There's a few other 4.5's that could get swapped into this position yet though, so long as a 10th 5.0 doesn't appear that is. 

One last note while I'm here, I will opening MMA's best of year list for everyone to take part in this year - not just site collaborators - so if you're a regular in this thread start thinking of your lists and watch for a submission thread come the year's end. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

One last note while I'm here, I will opening MMA's best of year list for everyone to take part in this year - not just site collaborators - so if you're a regular in this thread start thinking of your lists and watch for a submission thread come the year's end. 

Is it going to be set up the same as last year, where everyone's top album gets a mention if it doesn't make the list? Also, I think it would be a good idea to let people have a MR recommendation outside of the main list if anyone has one. 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Is it going to be set up the same as last year, where everyone's top album gets a mention if it doesn't make the list? Also, I think it would be a good idea to let people have a MR recommendation outside of the main list if anyone has one. 

There are likely to be a few tweaks to the normal rules to be decided closer to the time. I'm considering allowing MR in the main list but not Non-Metal. Mostly because last year disallowing MR nearly screwed the entirely result when albums that were in Metal subs or even Hard Rock were voted into the top 100 then got moved to MR after the event or even during the result compile. 

Though I would also like to avoid another 2013 situation where people felt the winning album was barely relevant to be on a metal site's top album list.

One change that may happen this year is a scoring overall that rewards people's top album more points. 

Edited by adg211288 - 07 Oct 2017 at 1:39am
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 1:45am

Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Though I would also like to avoid another 2013 situation where people felt the winning album was barely relevant to be on a metal site's top album list.

That's why I'm suggesting having where someone could give a single MR recommendation outside of the main list similar to what was done in 2014. That way an MR/Non-metal album doesn't get in the top of the year albums, but gets a little attention.

I'm not that attached to if MR is included or not, just a suggestion I had for if there is anyone who wants some attention given to an MR album. (There is one non-metal album that I really enjoyed, it has a good amount of hard rock, but not enough for the new rules.)

Edited by Unitron - 07 Oct 2017 at 1:47am
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 2:15am
I know it may compilcate matters but maybe MR could be allowed if the artist has previously released metal albums? It felt a bit wrong last year to bar Opeth from the vote. Only disallow them if the artist is solely here as MR/Non-Metal.
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 9:49am
I just went to youtube and listened to that Madrost posted above ^^.

Not bad at all, very thrashy & progressive, but it didn't quite catch my attention like the Vektor album did. Still, I might have to pick it up one of these days. Thanks for the post mentioning it

Edited by Jbird - 07 Oct 2017 at 9:49am
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 9:13am

We're in the last quarter of the year now and I have to say I think it's been a very good one so far!

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/madrost/the-essence-of-time-matches-no-flesh

This one is the only one of these I don't physically own, mostly because it's a self-released CD and the postage is excessive to the UK. I still say it's better than Terminal Redux though. Tongue

Love this album myself and like you didn't buy it because of the ridiculous shipping cost.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 1:43am

I've never been much of a Trivium fan, but this song is so damn amazing! This is what I call heavy fuckin' metal. This is one of the best songs I've heard this year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic