Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adam's Blog #6: 2016 Ones You May Have Missed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adam's Blog #6: 2016 Ones You May Have Missed
    Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 9:00am
A sequel to last year's post, here are a few albums that I thought highly of that failed to make it into the MMA top 50 for 2016. Not necessarily in the order I'd rank them and also not necessarily the ones I rated highest in general, but what I feel are the most interesting ones. 

A good one to start with I think is my current avatar:

Entropia - Ufonaut

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/entropia(poland)/ufonaut

Playing a sludge and prog infused form of black metal, Entropia's second album is pretty different to their more atmospheric debut. It's a riff-driven, punchy work that isn't quite like any other black metal release I've heard before or since.

Distant Sun - Into the Nebula

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/distant-sun/into-the-nebula

Distant Sun play a power metal and thrash metal combo that's as hard hitting as it is catchy. Their second album Into the Nebula comes complete with songs based on Dune, Game of Thrones and more. Cross Blind Guardian with a thrash band and this isn't far off what you'd come up with.

Krypts - Remnants of Expansion

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/krypts/remnants-of-expansion

Playing a combo of old school death metal and death-doom, these guys aren't in a genre I usually enjoy too much, but I dug this album, as well as their first from a few years ago.

Mizmor - Yodh

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/mizmor/yodh

I felt this album had its issues which led me to give it a 4 star rating overall, but it's also one I hold a great deal of appreciation for (hence the 4 star rating). A raw mix of black metal and doom metal, it's one of those I'd always recommend people at least try. 

Howls of Ebb - Cursus Impasse: The Pendlomic Vows

An avant-garde death metal album from one of my go-to labels for black metal, I, Voidhanger Records, Howls of Ebb is another of those crazy bands who delivered something in 2016 that broadened my experiences of metal music. 

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 1:14pm
That Krypts album is great. I only recently discovered it myself and it's on my to buy list. It would have probably made my top 30 if I'd discovered it earlier but then there's always a couple that slip the net.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 11:58pm
I love that Mizmor cover.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 8:23am
Two traditional albums by related bands, Sumerlands and Eternal Champion.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/sumerlands/sumerlands

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/eternal-champion/the-armor-of-ire
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 8:44am
I´m still in the process of writing my review, so therefore it didn´t make by 2016 list. This one is a great thrash/heavy metal album though, so it´s definitely worth a listen if you enjoy thrash/heavy metal:

NUKEM - The Unholy Trinity cover
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 11:28am
^I listened to the song you posted in the "Now What are You Listening to" topic, it was pretty good. Reminded me of a cross between Kill 'em All and Motorhead.

As far as albums I loved that others missed:

Sludgy and atmospheric alternative metal at it's absolute best, with no shortage of rumbling bass.

Stoner-doom doesn't get much better than this.

If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 3:57am
^ Based on first impressions the Red Wizard one would probably have been in my top 30 had I heard it earlier.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image