MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nu Metal: Nu Kids on the Block

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nu Metal: Nu Kids on the Block
    Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 9:34pm
Khaliq's addition of the industrial thread made me notice there is a lack of a thread for another genre. This genre lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This genre we refer to simply as nu metal.

Love it or hate it, you can't deny at least some good stuff has come from it. Of course it also can't be denied that the genre has produced some of the most detested music from the past few decades, but here we'll shine a light on those bands that go above and beyond the genre's call of duty, and surprisingly make some damn good music. So due to it's inflammatory nature it's obvious there will be some...er...dispute about the quality of the whole of nu metal (as a genre), but I also wish this thread to show off the good side of the it as well as the bad. 

Let's start out with something a bit simple. Staind. They were really considered "nu" in their early days, moving on to shift to a more alt oriented output with 2001's Break the Cycle. There are still elements of it on their third album.

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 10:30pm
Nu-metal did certainly have some great stuff to come out of it, especially Korn and Coal Chamber. I kind of see it as the glam metal of the 90's. Not that the sound is at all similar, but in the 90's, glam was what was mocked and shamed while nu-metal was all new and cool at the time. Now in the 2010's, it's okay to like glam while nu-metal is what's mocked and shamed now. Maybe in the next decade it won't be mocked and shamed as much, who knows?

Anyways, this is of course a classic track:
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Love it or hate it, you can't deny at least some good stuff has come from it.

I can and I will to my dying day!LOL

No, even I have to admit I did like the odd thing from the nu-metal era. There's a few songs from Sepultura and perhaps two from Soulfly. I also had a bit of a thing for Spineshank.

A lot of bands also got lumped in with nu-metal quite unfairly, the most prominent I can think of being System Of A Down. SOAD's music was so different from much of the genre, but just got thrown in there because it wasn't typical metal. It took me years to actually examine them as a band because of the nu-stigma, and I now wish I'd opened up a bit earlier.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 9:23am
Insofar as they even count as nu metal band, I really like Maximum The Hormone.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Insofar as they even count as nu metal band, I really like Maximum The Hormone.
My man! Beer

P.S. Is this thread going to get pinned? Just wondering.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 12:04am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

A lot of bands also got lumped in with nu-metal quite unfairly, the most prominent I can think of being System Of A Down. SOAD's music was so different from much of the genre, but just got thrown in there because it wasn't typical metal. It took me years to actually examine them as a band because of the nu-stigma, and I now wish I'd opened up a bit earlier.

SoaD are nu metal, people just don't like to call them that anymore because of the stigma.

Edited by Unitron - 31 Jul 2022 at 12:46am
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 2:50pm
Mushroomhead were always seen as Slipknot rip offs, but were apparently the older band!

Thought of another couple of bands I liked: Kill II This and Earthtone9.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 8:51am

Thought of another couple of bands I liked: Kill II This and Earthtone9.
Unfortunately I've never actually heard of either of those. I checked and Kill is under industrial and Earthtone is under alt. I'll give them a check out and see if this is justified later.

In the meantime, more Staind:
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 5:07pm
It doesn't really matter what those bands are labelled under. They just got lumped in with nu-metal back in the day. Old school metal fans had a tendency to do that with anything they didn't like.Wink
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 9:20pm

It doesn't really matter what those bands are labelled under. They just got lumped in with nu-metal back in the day. Old school metal fans had a tendency to do that with anything they didn't like.Wink
Some things never change. LOL
jhen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 3:16am
I like christian nu metal bands both from sweden

Deafaid
Mammuth
Blindside

Guys i have a problem can you help me where to find deafaids musics, i need some plz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image