MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favorite melodic death bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallica999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your favorite melodic death bands
    Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 3:16pm
Anyone else on here likes melodeath? :D

My favorite bands are Dark Tranquillity, Children Of Bodom and Insomnium (Their 2nd and last albums are amongst the most unique melodeath albums i have ever heard). I also like early In flames. Lately i've been discovering Kalmah and Arch Enemy and i must say they sound really good. What about you guys?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 3:21pm
I�m not much of a melodeath fan but Burning Bridges by Arch Enemy ( I�m not too fond of the rest of their disco) is one great album.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I�m not much of a melodeath fan but Burning Bridges by Arch Enemy ( I�m not too fond of the rest of their disco) is one great album.

That may be my favorite of theirs.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 3:27pm
Edge of Sanity - progressive melodic death metal with some balls. Wink
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 6:12am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 8:03am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Yes they are certainly not melodeath but melodic death metal and even though that somehow means the same it really doesn�t now does it?Big smile
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 9:48am
Then Terra Tenebra dn Cyanotic aren't melodeath either :-S but they are melodic death metal...
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Yes they are certainly not melodeath but melodic death metal and even though that somehow means the same it really doesn�t now does it?Big smile

Very true - they aren't melodeath like In Flames or Arch Enemy, but just have a melodic take on death metal.

EoS can be pretty brutal at times, but in comparison to other death metal acts of their time, they aren't that heavy. Smile
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 3:10pm
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 3:48pm
Not really a fan of the sub genre.

I like In Flames early stuff (their first 2 albums)
Slaughter of the Soul is pretty great.

I never thought of CoB as melodeath but I do like them as well.
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 11:51pm
CoB's early stuff I think of as extreme power metal, and great stuff.

Their recent stuff is melodeath. And pretty much horrible. I'll take the extreme power variant any day.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 2:29am
When it comes to melodeath...there is an unrealized (or maybe just overlooked) album.

Purgatory Afterglow by Edge of Sanity.
Brilliant, and also seems like a true melodeath album, in that it's actually a merger of death metal and melodic songwriting. Also released a whole year before Slaughter of the Soul, the Gallery, and the Jester Race
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 4:56am
Raintime's latest album (which is not really melodic death metal per se, but it does contain a lot of melodeath elements) is recommendable... even if there are too many poppy elements for my taste. The same applies to the forthcoming Deadlock album.
Metalbaswee View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalbaswee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 7:55am
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

CoB's early stuff I think of as extreme power metal, and great stuff.

Their recent stuff is melodeath. And pretty much horrible. I'll take the extreme power variant any day.
I would take Blooddrunk over Something Wild, any day. 

topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 4:45pm
Blooddrunk has to be the worst metal album I've ever heard. It seriously bored me to tears. I wrote a review on it if you would like to see my further thoughts.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Vobiscum View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vobiscum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 7:19am
Arch Enemy
In Flames
Dark Tranquility
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 9:12pm
Edge of Sanity
Eluveitie
Children of Bodom
Heartwork-era Carcass

And Wintersun are one of my absolute most favourite bands, but I never understood why anyone would call them Melodic Death Metal. They sound more like an epic combination of Melodic Black Metal, Power Metal and Folk Metal to me. Ermm
Drunb View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drunb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 6:33am
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

Blooddrunk has to be the worst metal album I've ever heard. It seriously bored me to tears. I wrote a review on it if you would like to see my further thoughts.
I agree about Blooddrunk being their worst album... although Relentless wasn't all that much better. But I'd say there are some decent songs on that album (the word "decent" is pretty damn sad for a band who released an album like Hatebreeder) such as the title track, Smile Pretty For The Devil and Roadkill Morning. 
Tie My Rope, One Day You Will Cry and Done With Everything Die For Nothing are by far the worst songs written by the band.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 11:29am

Be'Lakor
Imsomnium
early Arch Enemy
Carcass

Edited by LittleBig - 11 Nov 2015 at 4:00am
AnnieDoucet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnieDoucet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 2:13pm
Arch Enemy is my favourite band and the first one I listened to haha. Angelina is a babe :p
Dark Tranquility and Insomnium are good too, havn't heard of the other ones. 
But I also like:
In Flames
Ensiferum 
Slipknot
Avenged Sevenfold
Eluveitie...

Annie
One of our favorite events to do as a family in Highlands Ranch. This year there is going to be a Caribbean band Pan Jumbies led by an acclaimed steelpan artist!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic