Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [27.27%]
16 [18.18%]
48 [54.55%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 4:13am
Originally posted by The T 666 The T 666 wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

^You've made far better (and classier) jokes than that one before.

I agreeEmbarrassed
Can't win them allBig smile

Let's try this one....

Why is the Church against aborption????

Coz they fear the lack of future and potential victims for their pedophile priests.

Still not good???SmileConfused

OK, strike 2Wink

Even in a metal forum, that joke is too harsh... There are christian and catholic metal fans, too... And while I'm not a particular fan of religion or the church in general, I would understand if religious people get upset. 

We all know each other right now but we're getting new members every day. Let's give them a better welcome...Wink

I'll behave, promised!!!Wink

I'm particularly anti-church because I had to fight out of the "catholic thing"  >>> I had to lie and invent bad deeds to the priest in confession (mainly coz he copuldn'ty believe we were good kids, probably) >>> not only did that crack me up, but the priest wanted to spank me for making a mockery of this "rite" (I was 7 and I am NOT kidding)
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 4:17am
I like to believe in God do not go to church (except for weddings, funerals, religious holidays ...) but I gladly visit historic churches, abbeys, monasteries and chapels. I find this very beautiful form of architecture and art.

I don't know if God exists. But if you read what I wrote you understand why I believe in God!!!

Edited by 1967/ 1976 - 13 Apr 2010 at 4:20am
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 5:06am

^You've made far better (and classier) jokes than that one before.

I agreeEmbarrassed
Can't win them allBig smile

Let's try this one....

Why is the Church against aborption????

Coz they fear the lack of future and potential victims for their pedophile priests.

Still not good???SmileConfused

OK, strike 2Wink
You, uh, didn't get how stupid that joke is the first time you tried it on PA?

I'll behave, promised!!!Wink

I'm particularly anti-church because I had to fight out of the "catholic thing"  >>> I had to lie and invent bad deeds to the priest in confession (mainly coz he copuldn'ty believe we were good kids, probably) >>> not only did that crack me up, but the priest wanted to spank me for making a mockery of this "rite" (I was 7 and I am NOT kidding)
You sure don't sound like a "good kid"...

Sleepwalker View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 5:59am
People, if this thread gets out of control the admin team will have to lock it. I don't think anybody wants that, so don't let it happen. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 7:25am
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

OK, strike 2Wink
You, uh, didn't get how stupid that joke is the first time you tried it on PA?

It's not stupid at all and if you start thinking about it the churches should maybe shut the hell up about aboption when seeing what they do to the kids once they grow up a bit, >>> and I'm not just talking about pedophelia here, but brainwashing with dogmas and doctrines

When II made it up, the 15 persons that were around all laughed their hearts.out

I agree that in PA, the moment in the thread could've been better chosen when I posted it

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

You sure don't sound like a "good kid"...

I was not.... my only "sin" was to lie to the priestLOL, but I couldn't tell him to mind his own business for fear of a bad grade (yup Catholic schooling included going to confession back thenDead)
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 7:29am
Originally posted by Sleepwalker Sleepwalker wrote:

People, if this thread gets out of control the admin team will have to lock it. I don't think anybody wants that, so don't let it happen. 

I was going to stop posting in here, but HP's response needed a reply.

Actually from the usual PA experience, it's better not to open such threads, because they usually end up in fights, insults and thread closure

-------------------------------------------------

To avoid posting more on this thread, I'm answering the post after mine in this very post hereWink

I don't see how my posts in this thread were not respecting or insulting the other members, so I don't feel aimed at, and the only reason I'm answering you is because you starte your post with a "^"

V V  V  V V V

Edited by Sean Trane - 13 Apr 2010 at 10:39am

thellama73 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 10:02am
^That's silly. We shouldn't discuss serious things, because someone might say something insulting?

How about we just try to be respectful of each other instead of shutting down discussion?
Those who know what's best for us must rise and save us from ourselves.
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty McFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 3:14pm
Why I should ?
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I guess I'm an atheist...  I "was" a Christian, but I have a really tough time believing any of it nowadays... everyone in my family is a Christian though, so I kinda have to go with the flow...

yeah you sort of have to roll with the flow don't you... best to ride the church pew than fight with the parental/family units. 

as far as faith... it is simply something you'll find.. or not find.  Life does have funny way of enhancing your faith.. or completely destroying it LOL

One of the things that contributed to my lack of religious beliefs (more than you might think, actually) is the entire "Santa Claus" thing. I remember when I was about 10 years old and one of my friends told me that Santa Claus wasn't real. I searched my entire house in search of presents wrapped in decorative paper, and when I found those presents I was a little devastated. I had believed in something that is so ridiculous and absurd wholeheartedly, only to find out that it's a lie.

It seems silly to think that anyone would believe in such a thing, but if no one had ever told me that Santa doesn't exist, I (or anyone else) would still believe in Santa Claus to this day. Isn't religion the same way?
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 4:09pm

I guess I'm an atheist...  I "was" a Christian, but I have a really tough time believing any of it nowadays... everyone in my family is a Christian though, so I kinda have to go with the flow...

yeah you sort of have to roll with the flow don't you... best to ride the church pew than fight with the parental/family units. 

as far as faith... it is simply something you'll find.. or not find.  Life does have funny way of enhancing your faith.. or completely destroying it LOL

One of the things that contributed to my lack of religious beliefs (more than you might think, actually) is the entire "Santa Claus" thing. I remember when I was about 10 years old and one of my friends told me that Santa Claus wasn't real. I searched my entire house in search of presents wrapped in decorative paper, and when I found those presents I was a little devastated. I had believed in something that is so ridiculous and absurd wholeheartedly, only to find out that it's a lie.

It seems silly to think that anyone would believe in such a thing, but if no one had ever told me that Santa doesn't exist, I (or anyone else) would still believe in Santa Claus to this day. Isn't religion the same way?

that's really interesting Jeff... and you have a point.. 'Isn't religion the same way?' you ask.  Of course it is... Clap it is ALL about faith.

For many years as I said before I was agnositic..  I could deny the existance of God no more than I could accept God's existence and to be honest... I had more 'important' things in life to deal with than such nebulous questions.  As I've grown older.. seen a lot of things.. a lot of very bad things...horrible things..and  a lot of things that verge on miracles..  I finally decided to tackle my own personal beliefs, and found what my faith was. .and what I actually had faith IN. 

Edited by micky - 13 Apr 2010 at 4:10pm
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 5:06pm
I voted yes.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 7:11pm

that's really interesting Jeff... and you have a point.. 'Isn't religion the same way?' you ask.  Of course it is... Clap it is ALL about faith.

For many years as I said before I was agnositic..  I could deny the existance of God no more than I could accept God's existence and to be honest... I had more 'important' things in life to deal with than such nebulous questions.  As I've grown older.. seen a lot of things.. a lot of very bad things...horrible things..and  a lot of things that verge on miracles..  I finally decided to tackle my own personal beliefs, and found what my faith was. .and what I actually had faith IN. 

Clap Very true. I guess I'm agnostic similarly as you are, even though I've declared myself atheist. There is no way that we can prove that God exists or not until we die, but I choose not to believe in it. As I become more of a history geek, learning about religious wars and religions that make even less sense than the popular modern day ones, it all negatively impacts my faith in any form of religion. It seems to me that religion often presents these perfect ideological situations, but the religious wars (that still exist today) don't even follow any of the concepts of the reasons they are fighting in the first place!
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 8:16pm

Clap Very true. I guess I'm agnostic similarly as you are, even though I've declared myself atheist. There is no way that we can prove that God exists or not until we die, but I choose not to believe in it. As I become more of a history geek, learning about religious wars and religions that make even less sense than the popular modern day ones, it all negatively impacts my faith in any form of religion. It seems to me that religion often presents these perfect ideological situations, but the religious wars (that still exist today) don't even follow any of the concepts of the reasons they are fighting in the first place!

wow.. nice post.. and you touch on many things there.. not trying to convert you.. only engage you. Nice to discuss the subject without flames and grenades going off LOL

*ex-agnostic*Wink I was in my youth.. but through my own personal hells.. the Gulf War, a real bout of Alcoholism, a personally destructive and unhappy marriage to a person completely unsuited to me and finally the implosion of that marriage, of which my beliefs contributed to at the end. I found my faith.  Though it is odd... it is my personal one.  I am a strong believer in the existence of God.. but not a Christian nor do I believe in the Bible as anything more than parable on how you should live your life..  put forth by those whose only concern.. was something more worldly and crass than your or my salvation (enough said on that).  But you don't shoot the corrupt messenger for the message. Honestly Jeff.. it is why I have come across as so condescending at times to some of our more strident.. and opinionated younger posters on the other forum and why I finally stayed away from those discussions.  Live a little bit.. then lecture those that have lived a life... about life. 

As I said earlier Jeff and I really mean it.. and believe it..  as you grow older.. you will experience things that will shape your faith... either to find God ..as I did.. or not.  Unlike Santa..  there is no answer to be found in this lifetime..  it is all based upon faith.  I too am a history buff and know as you do the destructive impact of religion on world history..  between religion and nationalism (or both wearing the same dress) they have probably far more harm to the world than good.

However...  ask yourself Jeff.. do you blame God.. or question God for the ineptness.. the corruption of those who claim to follow or speak for God.  That is an answer one can only answer for himself..
elder08 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elder08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Balthamel Balthamel wrote:

I belive in Odin Rawksand Thor let Vallhalla rice, Loki the Shapeshifter, Fenris the Wolf, Hel the godess of Death.

HAHA lol not critizing you but those gods (like greek gods) disappear and lose all power and cant gain it back after they lose the majority of theyre beleivers fun fact hehe
I scrolled through the offended page and listened to cannibal corpse while masturbating.-elder08
elder08 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elder08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 2:22pm
I really hate atheists that argue with me though if i invite them to church a simple yes or no is needed not an arguement about why my god is not worthy or some stuff like that I asume you guise actually are the oppisite and dont care of other peoples religions and dont mind going to a church
I scrolled through the offended page and listened to cannibal corpse while masturbating.-elder08
The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 3:14pm
^I would try not using the word "hate" though. It only makes the problems you mention stronger. Can't you just say "I can't stand" them?
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 5:00pm

wow.. nice post.. and you touch on many things there.. not trying to convert you.. only engage you. Nice to discuss the subject without flames and grenades going off LOL

*ex-agnostic*Wink I was in my youth.. but through my own personal hells.. the Gulf War, a real bout of Alcoholism, a personally destructive and unhappy marriage to a person completely unsuited to me and finally the implosion of that marriage, of which my beliefs contributed to at the end. I found my faith.  Though it is odd... it is my personal one.  I am a strong believer in the existence of God.. but not a Christian nor do I believe in the Bible as anything more than parable on how you should live your life..  put forth by those whose only concern.. was something more worldly and crass than your or my salvation (enough said on that).  But you don't shoot the corrupt messenger for the message. Honestly Jeff.. it is why I have come across as so condescending at times to some of our more strident.. and opinionated younger posters on the other forum and why I finally stayed away from those discussions.  Live a little bit.. then lecture those that have lived a life... about life. 

As I said earlier Jeff and I really mean it.. and believe it..  as you grow older.. you will experience things that will shape your faith... either to find God ..as I did.. or not.  Unlike Santa..  there is no answer to be found in this lifetime..  it is all based upon faith.  I too am a history buff and know as you do the destructive impact of religion on world history..  between religion and nationalism (or both wearing the same dress) they have probably far more harm to the world than good.

However...  ask yourself Jeff.. do you blame God.. or question God for the ineptness.. the corruption of those who claim to follow or speak for God.  That is an answer one can only answer for himself..

That's just it... there is likely to be some God somewhere out there... but your Gandhi quote summed it all up for me. I guess I'll try to live a few more years before I get too involved with this thread though... LOL
jampa17 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jampa17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 3:56pm
Well... nobody knows it for sure and that's why this poll exists... is about what we "believe" and not what we know... so... I do believe in God, totally... I use to say I see Gods blessing hand every single day... now I'm too silly, lazy and procastinate too much to see it... but I'm convince we are not alone... God exists... yes... and I know many people disbelieve just to not risk... and I don't know... that's the importance of faith... God is there for us... if we believe it...

micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 4:12pm

That's just it... there is likely to be some God somewhere out there... but your Gandhi quote summed it all up for me. I guess I'll try to live a few more years before I get too involved with this thread though... LOL

if you have some spare time.. and of course the inclination... try reading up on Hinduism.  Fascinating religion.. Thumbs Up
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 4:33pm

if you have some spare time.. and of course the inclination... try reading up on Hinduism.  Fascinating religion.. Thumbs Up

I've done reading mostly focused on Christianity and Islam (these both have wonderful histories), but I'll have to check out some books on Hinduism now that you mention it. I've watched a few programs about it on the history channel whenever I have 2 or 3 hours to kill, but I've never done any proper reading on that religion,,,,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic