24 [27.27%]
16 [18.18%]
48 [54.55%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

But once again, I think that debates between believers and atheists don't make any sense. It's just frustrating - from my point of view - for atheists... and probably for believers as well. You can't convince a Christian that there's no God, it's just impossibleUnhappy possibly offensive as well.

That's not true. Wink

I've been raised in a Christian household, and I'm sure many other atheists were as well. I firmly believed in God until I began asking questions and wondering about my beliefs. Matt Dillahunty (the host of The Atheist Experience) was actually was training to become a Baptist minister when he became an atheist.

It may not happen all of the time, but people's minds do change, and I think watching programs like that have helped me develop my own thoughts and beliefs as well.

I guess I expressed myself unclearly. I don't think it's a bad thing but statistically it doesn't work. People like you are in the minority. The debates are needful, that's for sure, but I can't watch them. The lack of understanding between the sides is so annoying.
Actually I also believed in God when I was a kid. My parents didn't inculcate me with catholic faith, but my grandma did so. I was reading a lot at that time though, especially Stanislaw Lem's books. He helped me with developing an atheistic outlook on life and finding my own answers. Brilliant writer by the way.

Well... I guess the intent of the debate there wasn't to change each other's minds. I'm pretty sure Russell and Matt didn't intend on changing Ray Comfort's mind, and I'm also pretty sure Ray Comfort didn't think he would turn Matt and Russell into "born-agains".

I guess it's fun for some people to listen to (definitely a group I'm part of Smile) and can possibly sway the opinion of some. Either way, you can call me an Atheist Experience addict. TongueEmbarrassed
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by SKwid SKwid wrote:

SAUSAGE IS THE FOOD OF THE LORD!!!

Except the catholic church may disagree when it comes to other types of "sausages".... ErmmTongue
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 5:38pm

But once again, I think that debates between believers and atheists don't make any sense. It's just frustrating - from my point of view - for atheists... and probably for believers as well. You can't convince a Christian that there's no God, it's just impossibleUnhappy possibly offensive as well.

That's not true. Wink

I've been raised in a Christian household, and I'm sure many other atheists were as well. I firmly believed in God until I began asking questions and wondering about my beliefs. Matt Dillahunty (the host of The Atheist Experience) was actually was training to become a Baptist minister when he became an atheist.

It may not happen all of the time, but people's minds do change, and I think watching programs like that have helped me develop my own thoughts and beliefs as well.

I guess I expressed myself unclearly. I don't think it's a bad thing but statistically it doesn't work. People like you are in the minority. The debates are needful, that's for sure, but I can't watch them. The lack of understanding between the sides is so annoying.
Actually I also believed in God when I was a kid. My parents didn't inculcate me with catholic faith, but my grandma did so. I was reading a lot at that time though, especially Stanislaw Lem's books. He helped me with developing an atheistic outlook on life and finding my own answers. Brilliant writer by the way.

Well... I guess the intent of the debate there wasn't to change each other's minds. I'm pretty sure Russell and Matt didn't intend on changing Ray Comfort's mind, and I'm also pretty sure Ray Comfort didn't think he would turn Matt and Russell into "born-agains".

I guess it's fun for some people to listen to (definitely a group I'm part of Smile) and can possibly sway the opinion of some. Either way, you can call me an Atheist Experience addict. TongueEmbarrassed

You're an Atheist Experience AddictTongue But I don't think there's anything wrong about that Wink I do agree with you on the debates, I carelessly lumped them and private conversations together. As for the fun, I already said I can't enjoy it... unless it's Richard Dawkins. Even then I often feel embarrassed, especially when he talks with Ben SteinConfused

And concerning the boldfaced fragment... I�m sure they didn't intend to change his mind. But you can't be too sure about the second part - God is omnipotent, remember?Wink

Edited by bartosso - 02 May 2011 at 3:11pm
xiangwang View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xiangwang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 3:43am
i do not believe i god, but i have no prejudice on those who trust god!
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 11:23am
Originally posted by xiangwang xiangwang wrote:

i do not believe i god, but i have no prejudice on those who trust god!

What's with your signature?  I sure hope for your sake you aren't a spambot
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 4:49pm

What a genius rant.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 11:01pm
No. I do consider myself spiritual...most of the time.LOL

I tend to follow Buddhism and the Dala Lama is one of my icons. Read many of his books. He is planning on retirement soon. A very hard act to follow.

Edited by cannon - 02 Jun 2011 at 11:01pm
Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 9:45pm
Ziltoid the Omniscient is my Lord!  But in all seriousness: No.  Ermm  (Not surprised the majority of people are atheists on a metal forum. Tongue)
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 11:41am
Eh, my worldview teacher has pretty much brainwashed me into becoming an agnostic by showing fallacies in pretty much all the big religions today.
He also showed me this. And I loled.LOLLOLLOLLOL

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I thought I was being cool by posting that first.CryCryAngryCryCry

Edited by Sheavy - 04 Dec 2011 at 11:43am
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 12:53pm
Will Eisner was god. But he's dead now.Cry
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 8:42am
I don't anymore... I was raised in a close minded little town full of religious nuts, went to a school run by nuns, then a school run by a priest, surrounded by ignorant prejudiced people, some of whom literally thought that listening to AC/DC caused everyone to actually worship satan, attend black masses and made them a bad person worth hating.

I've been moved seven years now, and been an Athiest for about 15 years... but I still get the residual effects/catholic guilt of having lived there sometimes.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 10:33pm
Digging up old threads as I stumbled across this:

IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 9:01pm
Fucking love Penn & Teller.

Somewhat relevant

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 11:25pm
If Jesus has to be real, can it please be Liberal Jesus?
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

I would prefer Raptor Jesus.
Doomster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 1:23am

A year ago, when I first joined this site, I would have said otherwise - simply read my earliest posts on this forum; but no, I do not believe in God anymore. 

When my Grandpa first died in 2009 was when I began to question my own faith. Since then more and more things kept pummeling me with logic. If God is so all-loving and powerful, why is there such acts of unnecessary violence and death? Why is there stuff such as adultery, rape, murder, racism, betrayal, poverty...it does not make sense to be all loving yet encompass the world in such darkness. Unless this "God" is a tyrannical sociopath, I see no reason for the world to be this harsh. According to "God"'s word, yes, there is a heaven, a paradise to go to after we die, but what did our first life achieve according to that? What did it build up to?

Think of, oh, say for example, Little Kimmy. She is an avid Christian and yet, she is pummeled countlessly, day after day, again and again and again by darkness such as bullying, abuse, loneliness, and exposure to drugs. She lives in a dying city with no color, but she still keeps hope. While hope is a good thing, why put the aforementioned hope into someone you can't prove exists or doesn't exist?

And so she lives life, one day at a time. Up until the age of fourteen, it becomes too much to bear, and the pain in her life causes her to off herself. For this, God is eternally angry at her, a lost soul who loved Him with all her heart as she kept hope in Him, and she is sent to hell, to burn in fiery brimstone and suffering and hatred for eternity. And yet, God still somehow "loves" her...

It all makes no sense whatsoever. Rape is not necessary. Wanton violence is not necessary. Starvation is not necessary. Nothing negative is necessary but this all powerful, all loving "God" puts us on Earth with no cause or purpose other than to be torn through either path - a good life or a bad life. In some ways, I see "God" as a favoritist for this fact alone. If some people are loved by the dollar and vice versa, and/or have a loving family, home, happiness, and safety, why are other innocents forced to suffer? It does not tie into anything.good in this world and never will.

But the main problem I have is with religion itself. While the Bible itself was many a flawed, it still tried to give off a positive message, which was morality, albeit doing it in a sickeningly disorderly and disastrous fashion. But the religious, the pathetic and wanton cultists who will not hesitate to twist, turn, and bend every story in the Bible into something of an evil, voluptuous mass of immorality. "God hates fags. You will die for your sins. You are an atheist, so you will burn in eternal hell. You are a gay supporter so you must be exterminated." It's people like this, and the sanity of people like this, that truly makes me ponder the current stability of the human race. Take for example the shooting that happened earlier this morning. If God is an all loving all powerful creature, why do things like this happen? Why are the innocents dead? Why is anyone dead at all? To this I have come with the conclusion that there is no God. If there was, he would not promote such acts of crime and despair in the world. I say the Universe is a mysterious network - no Gods, Goddesses, or Deities involved.

dtguitarfan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 8:18am

Jesus Is a Liberal Democrat
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

I would prefer Raptor Jesus.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 5:12pm
^ Raptor Jesus went extinct for your sins.

And in fact, the human Jesus was allegedly very liberal. More like a communist maybe... I still prefer Raptor Jesus though.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 2:45am
I like the thought of communist Jesus Headbanger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic