MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sludge/Post metal as it's own genre

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waiting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sludge/Post metal as it's own genre
    Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 9:51pm
This is Dim from the PA. I know we've put groups like Pelican in under doom metal, but a metal site where Pelican and My dying bride are listed under the same genre probably won't gain too much credibility.

I wouldnt mind writing a bio or adding groups if a new genre were made. I'd love to see this site blossom into somethin as trustworthy, and informative as the PA, and I'd love to do anything that would help.

BTW, this site's formation is one of the most exciting things I've found on the web in awhile, and thank you M@X for making it a reality, and I'll do my best to promote the site as much as possible.
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 10:13pm
Thanks for the suggestion.

For now we have moved PELICAN to Avant-Garde Metal (where we have the Post-Metal/Atmos. Sludge hidding).

Please elaborate on your opinion about grouping or not regrouping theses subgenres, thanks.

Max
Waiting View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waiting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 10:26pm
Well, sludge and post metal are relatively the same genres, with a small difference in mentality. It would definately be understood if the bands in these genres were to be grouped together. I think the name sludge/post metal would probably look best on the front page.

As for groups like Isis, *shels, and Pelican being put in avant-garde metal, I honestly think doom metal would be a better fit, though I doubt any genre here would really fit for any of those groups. Now I can look through the groups these archives have and point out which groups are sludge/post metal, and like I said, I'll be glad to write a bio if necessary.
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sckxyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 11:30pm
I agree, there should be a separate subgenre for these bands. "Post-metal" is more commonly referred to as Atmospheric Sludge (slightly different than sludge), but a "Post/Sludge Metal" subgenre would be general enough for the site's purposes, I think.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 12:53am
A seperat Post/ sludge metal catagory sounds like a good idea. It�s become a very big sub with many rather distinct sounding acts.
MrEdifus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrEdifus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 10:00pm
I actually think it should be taken a step further: Post and Sludge should be their own subgenre, separated from one another.
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 10:23pm
Ok, I love suggestions !

I can split them, I can also re-regroup Post with Avant-Garde ?
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 10:25pm
I want to point out that I don't want the sub-genres to be fully exploded at the "atomic" level. For the usual visitors and metal newbie, it's a bit complex and unuseful. We must think about also regrouping sub-genres that get mostly the same fans.
MrEdifus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrEdifus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 10:30pm
I'm not entirely sure how many people would, for example, like both Pelican (Post) and Gojira (Sludge), or Pelican and Kayo Dot (Avant).

I also understand the need to keep there from being too many subgenres though. Just thought I'd put the idea out there.

I'm also a member of Encyclopedia Metallicum, so I'm pulling a lot of my ideas from there. They're probably the largest archive site of metal bands on the Internet, so it seems like a good source to draw from.
(Except we'd better accept BTBAM! :D )
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 10:44pm
Thanks Mr.Edifus for your help, greatly appreciated.

I understand well and since you made your point it's pretty clear that with a resource like you that help us, it is more doable to split the subgenres , have a better definition for each of them and a better artist/albums classification in it.

So, unless , nobody object, I am planning on splitting Post, Sludge .

Waiting View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waiting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 10:56pm
I dont know. There are many many people who dont even belive that post metal is a genre.

The two genres use the same recording techniques, song structure, and guitar tone, the only difference I see are in mentality. Pelican is a post metal group, while Black Cobra are a sludge group. Their both instrumental, and share relatively similar in many aspects, the only difference is in song length, and tempo, and maybe use of atmospherics (For pelicans earlier stuff).

Gojira is a death metal group, not sludge in anyway. A group like Mastodon however could be argued for sludge though.

"Amidst Universal Pandemonium and Those Who Slither and Crawl Shall Rise Again Once More to Inherit the Earth"
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 10:58pm
Post-metal is not a genre of metal , or not a genre as a whole ?

What is your suggestion then ?
Waiting View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waiting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 11:01pm
It's met with adversity to hardcore sludge people. It is though, and should still be considered a genre on this site, but should share the label with sludge next to it.

"Amidst Universal Pandemonium and Those Who Slither and Crawl Shall Rise Again Once More to Inherit the Earth"
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 11:22pm
Let's begin with them grouped as Sludge/Post-metal and let's see how things evolve, nothing is fixed for life in music. 
thellama73 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 1:37pm
While I am not too familiar with Post-Metal, I am very pleased to see that Sludge is no longer grouped with Doom, since I believe they are quite distinct from one another.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic