MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grunge and Alt. Rock fans unite!

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of the following bands is your favourite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [22.22%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [11.11%]
1 [11.11%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grunge and Alt. Rock fans unite!
    Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 6:19am
Here's one for the grunge and alternative rock fans... all hail the early '90's!
There is such a wealth of these bands that I felt multiple choice was necessary.
Everyone get out your plaid shirts, ripped jeans and mix tapes!
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 6:21am
My personal favourites...
PEARL JAM
SCREAMING TREES
SMASHING PUMPKINS
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 6:49am
I did wear plaid shirts back then (they're actually useful in the cold chilly Danish winter), but not ripped jeans (why destroy a nice new pair of jeans?). Anyway, this is about the music. I continued to listen to all kinds of metal during the alt.-wave of the 90s, so it was more a question of me adding some alt. rock to my overall musical universe rather than replacing my metal music with alt. music (which a lot of people did back then).

I listened extensively to Nirvana's "Nevermind", which I think is a good and unique album, but I didn't care much for their other output. My favorite band of that period/genre/movement probably was RATM, because I think that their way of mixing rap and metal was totally awesome. Then I checked "others", because there's a bunch of bands which are not on your list:

Boghandle: a Danish noise/punk/grunge band who released some pretty fierce music. I had their album on tape somewhere (I can't even recall its title, but I liked it)
Kashmir: a Danish alt. rock band whose first couple of releases were quite hard rocking ("Travelogue" and "Cruzential").
Dizzy Mizz Lizzy: a Danish hard rock band with some alt. rock tendencies. They only released two albums (but, man, they're good), before frontman Tim Christensen split up the band and pursued a boring solo career.
Clawfinger: Swedish/Norwegian rap-metal band with more industrial tendencies; they're up there with RATM on my list.
Helmet: I liked their "Meantime" album quite a lot
Suede: Brit pop band - now, I couldn't stand Brit pop back then, and I'm glad it's more or less dead and gone now, but I did think that Suede were quite good though
Primus: bass madness!
Fielfraz: another Danish alt. rock band. Their first album "Shine" is kind of okay but also kind of boring, but I really like their experimental approach on the second album "Electric Eel".... even if the lyrics are stupid and juvenile.
Red Hot Chili Peppers: "Blood Sugar Sex Magic" and "One Hot Minute" received a lot of rotation on my stereo (I've lost both discs... I suspect my ex took them when we split up)
Faith No More: "The Real Thing" is an absolute classic!
U2: kind of funny - when they went into alt. rock in the 90s, they were unavoidable, because everybody in my school loved them, I started digging their 80s music, which I still prefer.
Anthrax: a thrash metal band who started doing alt. metal (didn't work too well for Metallica), but I actually think that "The Sound of White Noise" is a good and groovy album.
Death Angel: I might be stretching it here, but "Act III" has an alt. rock edge to it although it's still very much a thrash metal album.
Biohazard: another rap metal act, but they approach it from a US hardcore punk background - I remember listening extensively to "Urban Discipline", "State of the World Address" and "Mata Le�o"
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 3:24pm
   ^
Totally with you on RHCP, Faith No More and Primus. And although I never really intended for it to be a 'metal' oriented poll per say, 'The Sound Of White Noise' is exactly as you say it is...one very groovy album!
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 6:15pm
I'd always been sort of skeptical towards anthrax, but it's that album that got me into Anthrax.... now, I like their old stuff better though. Taste moves in mysterious ways.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 10:31am
Radiohead!
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 7:25am
I'm separating Alice In Chains and Soundgarden in my head because, IMO, they're Metal.

From the rest of that list, I like Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, Foo Fighters and just in 2010 began to understand and get into Nirvana...

From the list, I'll choose Foo Fighters beacuse I have all their albums...
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 4:25pm
i recomend some of the 80s and 90s Norwegian  hard rock bands (which Im lately bin starting to regard as proto grunge in ways, De Lillos, Jokke & Valentinerne, Raga Rockers, and DumDum Boys (all sang in Norwegian) and had that their style but also similarities, also worth mentioning is Turbonegro and Motorpsycho (one is punk-glam metal other is progressive grunge alt metal, with strong kraut leanings)

agungpratama82 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agungpratama82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 6:55am
i miss the Rage Againts The Machine, i like Killing In The names song from RATM, i don't even know why tommy morelo disband the Rage Againts the machine
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic