Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal - The Six Genres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 10:15am
Fair enough.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

...NWoBHM (Which I don't think really exists)...

You're right, it doesn't exist any more, but it definitely existed, as anyone "who was there", and the number of bands who pay tribute to that remarkable movement will testify - and let's remember that this "New Wave of Heavy Metal" was terribly unpopular among those who weren't rabid fans, and rabid fans probably didn't push the 100,000 mark too hard, most of whom were in obscure bands so might not count as fans anyway - but it's not a genre, it wasn't entirely British, and it was founded on the old school of hard/blues rock, so I can understand anyone's confusion. It confuses me and I think it's fantastic...

...pauses for breath Wink

Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

Tis all metal Rawks

Never a truer word. ClapClapClapClapClap

[/QUOTE]

Oh, so you're agreeing with me on NWoBHM? LOL
Obviously you knew more than I, and hell I'm only 22 I cant be a traditonal metal expert! But IMO NWoBHM is pretty much just traditional HM.
I know there are differences but isn't really distinct to me.

But I'm a fan of consolidation, so thats me.
And I'm not advocating we remove it from the site.
Especially since a lot of higher ups seem involved with it/traditional metal.
No need to cause internal strife LOL

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 19 Nov 2010 at 12:38pm
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 2:51pm
I think that there's a lot of difference between a lot of the NWoBHM artists. I mean just compare Ace Lane, Salem, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Satan, Jameson Raid and Hell- they don't really sound like the same genre. But then again, NWoBHM was not a genre but an artistsi movement - and one of the most important ones in metal history. which is why I think that the NWoBHM sub is important on MMA. But, we have to find a cut off year, because it makes no sense to call, say, Iron Maiden's 90s and 2000s material NWoBHM.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 4:53pm
Interseting discussion brewing.  I'm fine with the current categories for now, but some of the above expanded sub-genres (melo-death, tech/prog death) would be a good idea.  I think grindcore might stand as it's own genre apart from death, but haven't given it much thought.

I agree that the sludge/post tag can be a bit tricky.  Some bands under this tag have more of a snoner/doomy sound, some more hardcore-ish, and the obvious post metal part.  Gothic can also stand on its own.  Having worked my way through several of that genre's bands, there is still a distinct tone to that genre, though the arrangement of the music can have several approaches. Some have a slight symphonic sound, some have a death/black metal element, and a large chunk have dark/doomy elements.  It would be hard to append the gothic subgenre to either just a branch off death, black, symphonic, or doom metal as it is sort of a band-by-band thing.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 10:00pm
I personally don't see a need for melo and tech death metal.
Atheist IMO is death metal. As are In Flames (to name 2 quick ones).
A really extreme tech band like Necrophagist are also still death metal.

Don't see a need to expand even farther.

Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 4:07am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Black metal:
All black metal, also the folk and viking black metal acts and the ambient/ atmospheric ones. We agree on that one. I think I will let Vehemency comment on this one, but my opinion is that there isn�t a need for additional sub subs here.
I agree with you. Be it folk/ambient black metal or whatever, it's black metal, and the biography can further elaborate the sound, as well as reviews. The only problem I come across often is the combinations of black metal and death metal, deathened black metal, blackened death metal and whatnot... Not so easy to choose either black or death if the sound is somewhere between, and not only black or death would do justice, but I guess there's always a solution.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 3:37pm
I am neutral on the melodeath under death discussion. For one thing, melodeath to me doesn't sound very much like death metal aside from the vocals, whereas tech death and prog death clearly are direct progressions of the genre.

Grind should not be moved in with death. There are bands that are deathgrind that will be difficult to figure where they go, but the difference between most death bands and grind bands are pretty obvious IMO.

And NWOBHM was a movement, not a genre. However I'm pretty sure we established we need the sub to designate the important movement on the site.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 4:00pm

Great to see that Grindcore is supported as a seperate sub. My earlier suggestion was mostly because I felt there was a general consensus that people wanted the grindcore sub to be moved under death metal. I�m fine with having Grindcore as a seperate sub if there�s support for that. Some bands are hard to put in either Grindcore or death metal but we�ll just have to make choices and discuss certain acts if someone raises a flag.

I guess I followed what I thought the members of the site would be most comfortable with instead of following my heart on this one. I�ll try not to make that mistake again.Smile

Edited by UMUR - 20 Nov 2010 at 4:03pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 4:08pm
About the sub subs to death metal, I could as a compromise live with a melodic death metal sub sub, but I wouldn�t be comfortable with seperate sub subs for technical and progressive death metal. I think we�ll end up in too many discussions about what is progressive and what is technical. I saw Kim mentioned a Brutal death metal sub sub, but I wouldn�t support such a sub sub either. I think it�s in the very nature of death metal that it is brutal and even the melodic bands in the genre are brutal to these ears albeit lesser so than the most extreme acts in the genre.

As mentioned earlier I�d rather not see any sub subs to death metal, as I think the best idea is to explain in the bio if a band is either melodic, technical or progressive instead of putting them in seperate sub subs. If people take time to check out the youtube clips and mp3 that will be added in time, that�s also a great help.

Edited by UMUR - 20 Nov 2010 at 4:11pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 4:42pm
How about my suggestion to create a sub sub to doom metal called doom/ death ( which would include funeral doom). I think it would make sense to seperate the doom metal acts with clean vocals and the ones with growling vocals.
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 5:16pm
UMUR, I reckon the doom  / death sub sub would be a wise idea, as often there is a vase gap between these bands and the more traditional type. I also think with a the doom death sub sub, it would give a more suitable home to say a band like DiSEMBOWLMENT who are currently under the Death Metal banner. Also some of the Sludge/post-metal groups would possible fit this sub sub a little more comfortable, such as a band like Corrupted, who while Sludge orientated, have a large part of their whole in Doom Metal.

From a personal perspective, I just lump everything under the 'Metal' banner, but I think for a site aimed at introducing people to news type of music, the segregation of the whole into more specific subs is helpful as long as it doesn't reach the obsessive compulsive stage.      
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 5:20pm
Thanks for the input. Regarding specific acts suggestions to moves from one sub to another can always be posted in the Errors and omissions thread: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=60&title=report-errors-omissions-here
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 8:42pm

About the sub subs to death metal, I could as a compromise live with a melodic death metal sub sub, but I wouldn�t be comfortable with seperate sub subs for technical and progressive death metal. I think we�ll end up in too many discussions about what is progressive and what is technical. I saw Kim mentioned a Brutal death metal sub sub, but I wouldn�t support such a sub sub either. I think it�s in the very nature of death metal that it is brutal and even the melodic bands in the genre are brutal to these ears albeit lesser so than the most extreme acts in the genre.

As mentioned earlier I�d rather not see any sub subs to death metal, as I think the best idea is to explain in the bio if a band is either melodic, technical or progressive instead of putting them in seperate sub subs. If people take time to check out the youtube clips and mp3 that will be added in time, that�s also a great help.

That's basically my opinion as well. Although it's sometimes hard to decide where to place a progressive death metal band, an extra sub-sub may cause some added confusion. However, if there were any sub-subs to death metal, I would support this the most.

Technical death metal, brutal death metal (this one especially), and melodic death metal are ones that wouldn't really help us too much. Any true melodeath band will end up in death metal no matter what, so this wouldn't help any borderline cases. This subgenre would just make placing more difficult for bands like Edge of Sanity and Opeth IMO. Smile

Progressive death metal may be helpful since it would help bridge the gap between these two genres without a cut-and-dry selection.

Either way, I've kinda stopped caring a whole lot about the precision of the genre tags. They are bound to be slightly misleading in most cases, and, after all, that's what reviews and bios are for. Smile
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 8:51pm

I could live with melo death...but I really don't think we need to divide up death metal, at all.
Especially with tech/prog death metal. I would absolutely not support that. It's simply unnecessary.
Any "prog-death" band that strays too far would simply just become progressive metal at that point.
UMUR's idea that one can explain these differences in the bio is a great one. Would avoid sub genre controversy and would give unique bands their credit, for being unique.

"Brutal" death metal is just silly IMO. As he also said, it is by nature...

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 20 Nov 2010 at 8:53pm

topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 11:35pm
^Indeed. Even on PA there are several sub-subs explained in each genre, from the traditional prog metal like Fates Warning to modern prog like DT to Symphony X, which admittedly don't all sound similar but have a succinct explanation.

I can see 'alternative metal' becoming the heavy prog of PA, whereas any somewhat hard rock prog band that didn't fit anywhere mostly got lumped in there.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2010 at 5:37am

I saw Kim mentioned a Brutal death metal sub sub, but I wouldn�t support such a sub sub either. I think it�s in the very nature of death metal that it is brutal and even the melodic bands in the genre are brutal to these ears albeit lesser so than the most extreme acts in the genre.

Just for the sake of clarity,I didn't propose brutal death metal as a sub for the MMA - I just pointed out that brutal death metal is more of a proper subgenre within death metal (like melodic death metal is) than progressive or technical death metal.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 2:29pm
I'd personally say brutal and tech death are musically closer than prog and melodic death. That being said I think we are just fine as we are now putting a progressive death metal album in either prog metal or death metal and a subsub is not needed. As I've said if I could make a subsub it would be for melodic death metal, just to show there is a distinction.

However, the only subsub we have now is for NWOBHM, which is often very much the same sounding as other bands in the Traditional heavy metal category. AFAIK the NWOBHM subsub is to designate the bands in the movement, not always bands of a separate musical sound. So I think any subsub should be similar.
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 2:36pm
I agree Thumbs Up
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 3:12pm
If you're talking about early Napalm Death and Carcass, wasn't that called Grindcore?

I agree with adding Melodic Death Metal as a sub of Death Metal, but IMO Progressive and Technical are the same thing.

I knwo we don't want to over-sub all the genres, but we can't under-sub them either and lump too many bands together. For instance, we shouldn't, IMO, lump Evoken and Trouble just under "Doom Metal"....just an example.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic