MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Death Metal Kill Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 34>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 4:39pm
I hope to get around to reviewing some Paradise Lost albums at some point. Unfortunately, with Sea of Tranquility reviewing and promos, I rarely have time to review other albums. There's a lot of reviews I want to write, but not nearly enough time to do it.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 6:59pm
I've just reviewed the new album by God Dethroned. Good stuff!

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/under-the-sign-of-the-iron-cross--review.aspx?id=224498
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 8:41pm
Now I'm starting up another Paradise Lost album... I really need to get more from these guys. Thumbs Up

Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I only caught on to Paradise Lost later; I actually wasn't too impressed by them back then. Now, I do like them a lot, though.

Here's another one that I like very much:

I actually like the one above better than this classic:

Fuck yes! Love some Bolt Thrower.

Two others I adore are: Autopsy and Incantation.

The latter oozes darkness out of those angular riffs. Mortal Throne of Nazarene is one of my favourite regardless of metal sub-genre. 

Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 1:53am
I�ve seen Bolt Thrower live twice. Once on the tour for The IVth Crusade and once on the tour for ...For Victory. The latter tour featured Martin Van Drunen on vocals as Karl Willets had quit the band fo the first time before that tour. The first show I went to was absolutely amazing. Lots of stagediving and moshing. The show was recorded and shown on MTV Headbanger�s Ball.

The show with Martin Van Drunen was also really great, but I twisted my ankle and had to be carried home by my brother. We were picked up miles from home in the middle of the night ( and it was a School night) by my mother who was furious, so all in all a succesful eveningLOL.

AutopsyThumbs Up Pretty big fan here too. I�ve got the picture vinyl version of Mental Funeral. Pretty cool artifact.
.. Album Cover

Believe it or not ( the violent artwork in mind) it was actually my grandmother who gave me "Acts of the Unspeakable" for Christmas back then ( together with Butchered at Birth by Cannibal Corpse):
.. Album Cover

I haven�t listened much to Incantation yet. Only a listen here and there. If we�re talking blasphemous anti-Christian death metal one of my favorites is Angelcorpse ( http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/angelcorpse.aspx?ac=angelc)

It�s not long ago I reviewed their debut:
.. Album Cover
and I�m currently listening to Exterminate and are planning to write a review of that one soon:
.. Album Cover
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 6:53am
I'm listening to Covenant by Morbid Angel right now. Great stuff!

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 7:00am
Covenant is a classic. It�s recorded in Copenhagen, Denmark you know. I used to know a guy who had an internship at Sweet Silence Studios as part of his final year in secondary School and he happened to be there while Morbid Angel was recording Covenant. Too bad he wasn�t a heavy metal fan. Those of us who were could only drool at the opportunity he had been given.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 7:33am

^ I would've definitely jumped on that oppurtunity! I don't even think I was born at that point, though! LOLEmbarrassed

I've been getting into Covenant a lot in the last month or so. I never used to like it as much as Altars of Madness or Domination, but it's really growing on me lately.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 9:06am
My favorite albums by my top favorite death metal band (and one of my all time favorite bands):

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 2:50pm
^^ 4 of the best extreme metal albums ever! Clap I absolutely adore the late-period Death albums.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 3:05pm
This one's pretty good, too:

And this one... which I still need in my collection:

It's got a spaceship on the cover, which is enough to make it epically cool!

Oh, and I adore this one, too:

Apparently, I have a weakness for space themed death metal :-S
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 4:11pm
^ Spheres is incredible! Clap
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2010 at 2:06pm
Now playing:

Some general knowledge for a death metal newbie...
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2010 at 2:48pm
^classic

I�m listening to:
.. Album Cover

A really great album that I�ve neglected listening to for many years.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 12:29pm

... and here's a true classic :-)
Listened to this yesterday and though it was pretty good though I couldn't really make a difference between the songs after just one spin, heh...

Tonight's classic band discoveries will consist of at least these records:

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 12:52pm
^ I'm not familiar with either of those, but the artwork to both are terrific! Clap
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Vehemency Vehemency wrote:

Listened to this yesterday and though it was pretty good though I couldn't really make a difference between the songs after just one spin, heh...

Tonight's classic band discoveries will consist of at least these records:

Yep Suffocation can be a mouthful. Extremely brutal death metal with a technical twist. I�d recommend listening to Pierced From Within first. The vocals are a bit more "human" on that one allthough still very brutal.

Discovering Autopsy is definitely recommended. Mental Funeral is my favorite:
.. Album Cover

Retribution for the Dead contains some early versions of songs that ended up on Mental Funeral, so if you like that one I�d go for Mental Funeral too. Severed Survival has a pretty different sound compared to the two other mentioned releases. Still a great one too IMO.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 2:12pm
We actually have a very good review of Mental Funeral here on MMA already: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/mental-funeral--review.aspx?id=213680, I think that one describes the album very well.
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 7:10pm
Another one I'm fond of:

Demigod - Slumber of Sunken eyes (creates some really nice atmospheres. one of the classics from the Finnish scene)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FB6ZDpjVjo&feature=related

------------

Agreed on Metal Funeral being their best one. 'twould be a neat album to have played at your passing...
Oh, and if you guys like Autopsy be sure to check out Asphyx they were on a serious roll with The Rack and Last One on Earth

Edited by Murphy - 22 Nov 2010 at 7:14pm
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 2:38am
Originally posted by Vehemency Vehemency wrote:

You know, musically, I think the songs differ from each other, but the vocals are very monotonous - I give you that. But it's got "Mass Obliteration" on it, which is one of my favorite Suffocation tracks. "Pierced from Within", which UMUR mentions, is pretty good, too - possibly better in some respects.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 34>
  Share Topic