MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Death Metal Kill Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 34>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Death Metal Kill Zone
    Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 3:20pm
This is the thread for talking about death metal acts and releases. Welcome to the Kill Zone!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 3:22pm
Just noticed that there�s a new Element ( http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/element.aspx?ac=eleme) album coming out in late November:
.. Album Cover

I really enjoyed the debut album:
.. Album Cover

But I thought it was just a one album project. Turns out I was wrong. I�m looking forward to this one.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 6:31pm
... and here's a true classic :-)
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 1:44am

Yep and actually much in the same technical brutal death metal style. I wasn�t much of a fan of Suffocation back in the early nineties, but I�ve spend the last couple of years gettin� into their albums, and now I fully understand the praise they get and how influential their albums have been on the death metal genre. My favorite is:

.. Album Cover
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 9:39am
I've got to get more Suffocation.  I only have Pierced from Within, and I'm familiar with one of their newer albums my brother has (self-titled).  
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 9:51am
Suffocation's great! I've been listening to Blood Oath (http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/suffocation--blood-oath.aspx) a lot lately.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Metalbaswee View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalbaswee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 10:21am
The only Death Metal i listen to is opeth i guess, are there any bands you can recommend with a grunt that is a lot like mikeal's? I absolutely love death metal, but with a lot of bands, the vocals are just to big of a point to get past.

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Metalbaswee Metalbaswee wrote:

The only Death Metal i listen to is opeth i guess, are there any bands you can recommend with a grunt that is a lot like mikeal's? I absolutely love death metal, but with a lot of bands, the vocals are just to big of a point to get past.

The holy bible of progressive death metal. Wink
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 10:36am
I have so many I don�t know where to start. But if you like Opeth I�d check out Edge of Sanity ( Crimson) and Katatonia ( Brave Murder Day).
Metalbaswee View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalbaswee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 10:53am
Okay, thanks for the tips guys!

Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 5:03am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Katatonia ( Brave Murder Day).

Wasn't it �ke himself who grunts on this record? I've got the album and a ton of other Katatonia that have been bought by my fiancee, I don't think I've ever listened to this one.
<- Click on this!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 5:30am
Yes I think it is. I�m quite the great fan of Katatonia ( all eras included) though it�s only the first two albums that are worth mentioning when were talking death metal or doom/ death if you will. Brave Murder Day is especially interesting if you ask me.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 5:39am
Big fan of Katatonia over here too, and yeah it's �kerfeldt grunting on BMD. Own all the albums except Dance of December Souls and now seen them live twice. At least Brave Murder Day is pretty great from the early era. In last year's live performance they surprisingly played "Murder", Renkse singing the growls too.

Been discovering some death metal lately, most recently this one...

MORTA SKULD: "Dying Remains"

I liked it though it's a bit too long, kind of starts to lose its power in the middle.

Edited by Vehemency - 15 Nov 2010 at 5:43am
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 6:49am
I think it's pretty good, but this one certainly is much better:

(no, not because it's got boobies on the cover, you pervs!)
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 7:32am
Originally posted by Vehemency Vehemency wrote:

Big fan of Katatonia over here too, and yeah it's �kerfeldt grunting on BMD. Own all the albums except Dance of December Souls

I�m pretty sure you would enjoy "Dance of December Souls" quite a lot. I didn�t use to enjoy it much ( I�ve had a Cassette version for years), but I�ve recently purchased the album cheap on CD and now I�m beginning to understand why it�s so widely considered one of the seminal doom/ death albums from the early nineties.

I�d like to recommend this album, which I�m currently listening to a lot. It�s free for legal download here http://contaigeon.bandcamp.com/album/death-at-the-gates-of-delirium:

.. Album Cover

Great filthy death metal with nods towards Morbid Angel and especially Immolation. I even detect some dark weirdness in the vein of oddball Australian death metal act Portal: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/portal.aspx?ac=port
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 11:31am
I just finished up this classic...

Great doom/death! Thumbs Up
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 11:51am
Ohh I listened to Lost Paradise a lot when I went on vacation this summer. It was spinning in my car stereo when I went to town to purchase food. Nick Holmes had balls back then. What a great growler. No fake processing there. It took it�s toll on him though. Paradise Lost actually cancelled their first two appearances in Denmark because of problems with Nick Holmes voice. It came to a situation where the band had a hard time finding a venue they could book when they came to visit Denmark on the tour for Shades of God. No one wanted them because the promoters were afraid that they would cancel again. So Paradise Lost first concert in Denmark ended up being in the now demolished Ungdomshuset on Jagtvej 69 ( Kim will know what I�m talking about) with Tiamat and if I remember correctly Therion. I know this because it was my first extreme metal concert. And what a blast. I was a major fan at the time. On the tour for Icon they visited Denmark 3 times as far as I remember. One concert in Odense ( which I know Kim attended) and one concert in Pumpehuset in Copenhagen where I attended. Later that year they would play as support to Sepultura on their tour for Chaos A.D. I went to that concert too. Actually mostly to see Paradise Lost.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

One concert in Odense ( which I know Kim attended)

... and walked out on, because the warm-up band were so good that Paradise Lost was very much an anticlimactic experience.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 2:27pm
oh well taste is tasteSmile. I just remember being very young and in awe of both Invocator and Paradise Lost. Sepultura on the other hand didn�t do much for me. They were in fact quite the disappointment.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 4:30pm
I only caught on to Paradise Lost later; I actually wasn't too impressed by them back then. Now, I do like them a lot, though.

Here's another one that I like very much:

I actually like the one above better than this classic:

Edited by Time Signature - 15 Nov 2010 at 4:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 34>
  Share Topic