Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Album Art Analysis #2: Kraftwerk - Autobahn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Album Art Analysis #2: Kraftwerk - Autobahn
    Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 11:38am

KRAFTWERK
Autobahn
Artist: Emil Schult
Album release date: 1974

Welcome to the second installment of Album Cover Analysis. Today's album cover to be highlighted is none other then Kraftwerk's breakthrough album Autobahn. Musically, Autobahn was among one of the first electronic albums, which further explored the electronic ideas featured on Kraftwerk's previous album Ralf & Florian. This was a far-cry from the noisy and drone-oriented Krautrock of their first two albums.

The incredible nearly 23-minute long title track is certainly the main event on the album, and despite the length does not overwhelm the listener. It's a pretty repetitive chill electronic track that really brings the mood of a casual drive down the road. The cover art really reflects the images imagined from listening to the title track. The song is just like a relaxing drive in the hills on a sunny day. Not only does the subject matter work here, but the style as well. The painting featured on the cover is reminiscent of scenic artwork that you'd see in an old magazine from the 1950's or an artist such as Norman Rockwell.

I'll talk more about the music once I get to reviewing the album's music, but this cover art works very well. While Iron Maiden's Powerslave album cover is epic and grandiose, by contrast Kraftwerk's Autobahn is much more humble. That's just how this album feels, humble. This album is just like a casual drive through the day and night, and I think that's what the band was going for.

Stay tuned for the next album art analysis!

Link to original post: http://thewickednest.blogspot.com/2016/08/album-cover-analysis-2-kraftwerk.html

What are other's thoughts on the art, feel free to post them!

Edited by Unitron - 05 Aug 2016 at 11:27pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 12:18pm
Fits the music very well. Despite the sunny day I think it has a starkness to it.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Fits the music very well. Despite the sunny day I think it has a starkness to it.

The album cover or the music? The music certainly has starkness in Mitternacht, and I can kind of see how the album cover has somewhat of an Edward Hopper-esque loneliness to it.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

The album cover or the music? The music certainly has starkness in Mitternacht, and I can kind of see how the album cover has somewhat of an Edward Hopper-esque loneliness to it.

It's got very clean lines, and the different elements almost look like collage cut outs, so it looks quite stark to me. Fits the music well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image