Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal Music Archives List Challenges

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 47>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 9:42am
This is the longest challenge yet. It's also more of a personal one though. I've been building it on and off since I started with these lists and finished it today. 

This is my CD collection, up to date as of today. For that obvious reason I will not fill this one in myself, as my score would obviously be 100%. 

Note that the criteria is different on this list, I'm asking how many we have in common, as in you also physically own it (though not necessarily on CD). 

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 10:22am
^ I own 179 from your collection Adam. Quite a lot I guess when you consider the amount of albums out there. A few bands like Running Wild that you have a lot of, I have nothing by them so that lowered the score somewhat.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 10:29am
Running Wild has become one of my favourite bands in quite a relatively short time but most of those albums were bloody difficult to find at a reasonable price. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 10:32am
^ I can imagine. amazing how many albums there are out there that are out of print and every so often they get a re-release in a small quantity.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 10:36am
Even more amazing how many that are considered classics aren't on the market right now. Running Wild's Black Hand Inn being one of them. I was lucky there, it only took me about a year to find it. A Facebook friend who was a member of Heavy Metal Haven recently posted a picture of his copy and I learned it's taken him 12 years to find a decently priced copy. 
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 10:40am
That's a beast of a list Adam.

This may sound strange, but I'm not sure I can accurately go through it. I have so much music in my house and a lot of it is boxed up due to lack of space to display it all (in fact even more is packed up right now because of the decorating we've just started) that I honestly sometimes find an album that I forget we even had in the house (my collection as saved on RYM is most definitely not complete - and I have almost 1000 CDs alone catalogued there!).

I'll have a go later all the same, but may have to keep coming back to that one!

Edited by 666sharon666 - 12 Jun 2016 at 10:41am
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 10:54am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Which genre list would people like to see next? Based on my own comfort zone's I'm thinking maybe folk metal (which doesn't seem to get much love around here to me), but I don't mind tackling something else if preferred. Or maybe another collab would like to make another one? We don't have any of the following yet:

Alternative
Avant-Garde
Doom
Folk
Glam
Gothic
Groove
Sludge
Symphonic
Hard Rock
Hardcore/Crust

I've been thinking I may have fun putting a list together. Out of the remaining genres, I could do either symphonic or gothic if you're fine with that.

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 11:04am

Even more amazing how many that are considered classics aren't on the market right now. Running Wild's Black Hand Inn being one of them. I was lucky there, it only took me about a year to find it. A Facebook friend who was a member of Heavy Metal Haven recently posted a picture of his copy and I learned it's taken him 12 years to find a decently priced copy. 

I have a wants list that'll never be fulfilled as I'm adding faster than I buy sometimes and quite a few on there are albums that are unavailable and I'm holding out for a copy at a sensible price. some have been on there ages.

Edited by Nightfly - 12 Jun 2016 at 11:05am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 11:11am
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

That's a beast of a list Adam.

This may sound strange, but I'm not sure I can accurately go through it. I have so much music in my house and a lot of it is boxed up due to lack of space to display it all (in fact even more is packed up right now because of the decorating we've just started) that I honestly sometimes find an album that I forget we even had in the house (my collection as saved on RYM is most definitely not complete - and I have almost 1000 CDs alone catalogued there!).

I'll have a go later all the same, but may have to keep coming back to that one!

It would drive me mad not being able to display all my collection. Can understand though once it gets to a certain size. I'm a way off hitting the 1000 mark yet. 

Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

Which genre list would people like to see next? Based on my own comfort zone's I'm thinking maybe folk metal (which doesn't seem to get much love around here to me), but I don't mind tackling something else if preferred. Or maybe another collab would like to make another one? We don't have any of the following yet:

Alternative
Avant-Garde
Doom
Folk
Glam
Gothic
Groove
Sludge
Symphonic
Hard Rock
Hardcore/Crust

I've been thinking I may have fun putting a list together. Out of the remaining genres, I could do either symphonic or gothic if you're fine with that.

Of the two I'm more knowledgeable about symphonic but I've no objection if you want to take it on. I'm sure we know a lot of the same albums actually. 

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

I have a wants list that'll never be fulfilled as I'm adding faster than I buy sometimes and quite a few on there are albums that are unavailable and I'm holding out for a copy at a sensible price. some have been on there ages.

I'm the same. I actually have two CD wishlists on Amazon. One for the ones I really want and one for the ones I'd like but am holding on for a bargain price on. The former seems to always get stuff added to it more often though. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 11:21am
Okay, I'm going to do Symphonic first, since it should be easy to get 100 albums for that in no time. I'll do Gothic as well at some point, though that one may need to reuse some bands multiple times to get the full 100.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 11:53am
Went through Adam's collection.

I scored an unexpectedly high 481 (75%)! I knew Adam and I had similar taste, but I wasn't expecting that many in common. Maybe I buy too much music.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 11:54am
I can make the groove list, although I might need to repeat some bands. 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 12:03pm

This is the longest challenge yet. It's also more of a personal one though. I've been building it on and off since I started with these lists and finished it today. 

This is my CD collection, up to date as of today. For that obvious reason I will not fill this one in myself, as my score would obviously be 100%. 

Note that the criteria is different on this list, I'm asking how many we have in common, as in you also physically own it (though not necessarily on CD). 

Only got 9% (60) on that one. I've heard a lot of those, but only own 60 of the many I know.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

Went through Adam's collection.

I scored an unexpectedly high 481 (75%)! I knew Adam and I had similar taste, but I wasn't expecting that many in common. Maybe I buy too much music.

No such thing. Tongue
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 12:13pm
Okay, I already ran into some problems with the list challenge site. Right now, I tried using our site logo as the list image, like Adam has done for his lists, but it's saying it's not big enough, so how do I make it work? Also, is it possible to rearrange the list order after I add albums in, or should I just add everything in alphabetically?  

ps: Making lists on RYM is so much easier than this.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 12 Jun 2016 at 12:14pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 12:15pm
Download this one, it's the exact one I use so should work:

As for order, there is a Sort A - Z tool near the top of the page you make a list on. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 12:19pm
Thanks. I actually just figured out how to rearrange it myself: Just drag the albums you want to move. I still prefer RYM, though, simply because I've used its list making system so many times now. I needed to know about that, because I want to get all the more popular bands out of the way first so I know exactly how many slots I have to add in more obscure bands.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 12 Jun 2016 at 12:21pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

I can make the groove list, although I might need to repeat some bands. 

Thanks. Not expecting to score too high myself though as my groove knowledge doesn't go very far.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 1:14pm
I'm going to start folk metal then (which may also require some repeat bands).

Edited by adg211288 - 12 Jun 2016 at 1:16pm
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 1:39pm
Here's the groove list, had to add some bands that aren't in groove but have groove elements: http://www.listchallenges.com/metal-music-archives-100-groove-metal-albums

I got 48/100.

Edited by Unitron - 12 Jun 2016 at 1:41pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 47>
  Share Topic