MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi everyone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi everyone
    Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 3:20pm
Hi everyone, thought it was about time to make my intro post here.

Been a lurker on prog archives for quite some time, didn't know about this site until yesterday though when I saw an advert on PA. I decided to join because I actually thought about starting a site like this myself once but didn't have the money to do it, so why not contribute to a project that does? :)

I pretty much like most types of metal, mostly into progressive metal, symphonic metal and black metal. Been getting more into power metal over the last year or so as well. 

Favourite bands include Blind Guardian, Iron Maiden, Ayreon, Within Temptation, Epica, Rebellion and Pharaoh. If you're that interested, have a look at my Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/adg211288
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 3:23pm
Welcome to the site and thanks for the contributions you've already made. :-)
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 3:38pm
Hi and welcome to MMA.Smile. The site is still new and we�re still in the process of error checking the database ( which is a Musicbrainz import), so we�re very happy for the error report you postedThumbs Up.

As with all new members who mention the holy word contribute, I�ll slip in a little link here: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=286Big smile
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 3:53pm
Thanks for the warn welcome. And your welcome for the submissions already made. Thanks for that link as well. I'll certainly look into that.

Couple of questions though, not sure if there is a better place to put these but this seems as good place as any.

1. What's your criteria for non-metal? I've been browsing and I've found some artists in your database that don't play metal but have metal connections. Examples are Fejd. This band plays folk music but there is a very metal feel to their music, yet it contains no distorted guitars or much else normally associated with metal music. I did add this bands demos and choose non-metal, but that was before I knew some of your database is done by an import so I'm thinking maybe this band shouldn't be here. Another is Dargaard, they're an ambient group but listed as symphonic metal. 

2.  Do you have a standard at all for saying and/or linking where a review was originally posted? I've been writing reviews for some time and am thinking about submitting some of the better ones here rather than just using the rate feature. My reviews are typically only posted on my own rock/metal forum so they'll be no copyright issues on that end.

3. I've seen some incomplete album entries (no artwork for example). The pages say to use links on the left to add this information yet I don't see them? I'm guessing I need to be a special contributor or something?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 4:12pm
1. Well as the database is an import we�ve found a lot of odd entries and deleted them along the way ( blues and jazz artists for example), and as we still haven�t been through the full database yet, you might still be able to find some oddities here and there. Again please report them and well deal with them accordingly. About non-metal we usually discuss it from case to case. I�m not an expert in folk metal, but as far as I know a lot of folk metal are actually borderline metal but still within the confines of what you would normally call metal. I wouldn�t choose the non-metal tag unless the release you add is beyond any doubt not metal. Non-metal releases are for the time being non-reviewable here on MMA.

2. We have no problem with you copy/ pasting reviews that you written even though they have previously been posted elsewhere. Our criteria is that you�ve written the reviews yourself. We do sometimes check up on people if we find that their writing style changes a lot ( which could be an indication of plagarism, which is absolutely not tolerated)

3. Yep you�ll have to use the link I posted in my first post and suggest yourself as a collab. We�ll usually spend a little time monitoring your behaviour in the forum and your contributions to the site before promoting you, but I feel that�s only natural as we have to build a minimum of trust to those who get access to the collab zone.

Great to see you show an interest in the siteThumbs Up.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 4:13pm
A very warm welcome from me too, hope to see you around Smile
<- Click on this!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 4:23pm
Thanks for the welcome Pekka. 

And thanks UMUR for your quick response to my questions. I'll definitely consider making an application, it really depends on how much time I'll be expected to put into it because I'm a university student and coupled with being an admin my own forum, I don't get that much time right now.

I'll certainly post some reviews though and carry on what I've been doing in the meantime.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 4:37pm
You'd basically be expected to devote whatever time you feel you can devote without it disturbing your life.

I myself am a university teacher, so I know exactly how busy students are this time of year.

I'm looking forward to reading your reviews.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 4:43pm

If you do find that you have an interest in collab work here on MMA, we�re not expecting the impossible from the people working on the site. MMA is purely a hobby for everyone except the two site owners. None of us get payed and therefore we only spend the time we can on the site. Right now and probably for a pretty long time into the future getting the database into a decent condition with good quality cover artwork, lineup info and release info, adding mising releases and so forth are the primary targets. At the same time we also add artists that we come across ( or who are suggested in the suggest thread, that you�re already familiar withSmile) to the database and of course add new releases to existing artists. There are very few guidelines that you�ll have to follow as a collab ( like not disappearing for months without a sound and a few others) but none should be seen as stressful. The current collabs on the site all work in very different tempi but the important thing is that they are all enthusiastic and put in the hours when they can. At the end of the day we�re all here to have fun and find new music, so that should always be the central partTongue.

You�ll usually suggest yourself for a specific sub team and upon promotion you�ll be responsible ( together with other collabs assigned to that team) for the work described above to that sub. But when that is said we all work on all subs. I�m not restricted from adding artists to anything but the three subs that I represent, so the lines are fluent.

I hope to see you around.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 8:23pm
Welcome to MMA! Hope to see you around! Smile
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Stephen View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 12:20am
welcome to the family bro
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 2:30am
Thanks. :)
Metalbaswee View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalbaswee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 2:50am
Welcome!

Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 6:00am
Welcome! I see you've already contributed to our site which is great! UMUR basically explained all the necessary things already so I guess I'll keep this short. Always nice to have contributing users!
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 11:17am
Welcome!  Nice to see a strong burst of activity from a new member. Smile
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 4:38am
Hi and welcome to the site!

..another PM fan Approve

Added you at Last.fm

Edited by Colt - 08 Nov 2010 at 4:38am
Bathoric95 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bathoric95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 5:13am
Welcome ^_^
"Who ever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool, or a coward. Who ever can not take care of himself without that law is both." Omerta.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 6:07am
Thank you all. :)
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 6:58am
Hi - I like Ayreon and Epica too! Great bands
GLAM METAL!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic