Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Iron Maiden, Christchurch NZ, 29 April 2016

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iron Maiden, Christchurch NZ, 29 April 2016
    Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 4:19pm
(I posted this on another forum, so instead of writing another review, I'll just cut-and-paste a bit...)

Saw Maiden last night. Fan-fucking-tastic!.

Set list:
1.If Eternity Should Fail
2.Speed of Light
3.Children of the Damned
4.Tears of a Clown
5.The Red and the Black
6.The Trooper
7.Powerslave
8.Death or Glory
9.The Book of Souls
10.Hallowed Be Thy Name
11.Fear of the Dark
12.Iron Maiden
Encore:
13. The Number of the Beast
14. Blood Brothers
15. Wasted Years

A few thoughts:

1. They might be older, but this was easily better than the Somewhere Back In Time tour. The energy was just as high, especially from Bruce, but the stage show was just so much better. The Mayan theme just looks so fucking good!

2. To all the nay-sayers about the new album (not from this forum. It seemed very well received here): Fuck. Off. Live, those songs just fucking go off. No loss of momentum. Nothing boring. Everything stacks up incredibly well vs. the old stuff. Initially I was thinking about how cool it would be to see a few songs from the albums from 1995 to 2010. There weren't any. Didn't miss them because this stuff is just as strong live, and possibly stronger. Which leads to...

3. Tears of a Clown is great live. I thought it was one of the weaker tracks on "Book of Souls", but it's not.

4. The Red & The Black also goes off live. The solos traded off in it are brilliant.

5. Death or Glory is probably the best received of all the new tracks. Why? Because of the reason it copped so much criticism initially(also not applicable here)- "climb like a monkey". People started miming climbing whenever that phrase came up, which made me cringe on first sight, but I was doing it too by the end of the song! Makes such a refreshing change from fists and horns. Bruce said in one of the early shows on the tour, two kids in the front row had a banner saying "climb like a monkey" and started miming the monkey climb thing, so he did it, and it's caught on everywhere. And this was an NZ audience, often quite reserved and unwilling to participate.

6. The Jannick haters can go fuck off too (for a third time, not applicable here!). Yes, Adrian and Dave might be better guitarists, but both needed him, because they looked fucking knackered about three songs in, and he picked up the slack energy-wise. My step-son loved watching Jannick, never having seen Maiden before, and thought he was great. Watching Adrian and Dave play some of those solos is breathtaking at times, when you hear what is coming from the speakers. There was one of the older songs (I forget which) where they had changed some of the solos, which were faster and more complex than on the studio album. Just fucking wow. :shock:

7. 'Arry is fucking staunch. Rock fucking solid, no flashy bullshit, and still loving his band and what he does.

8. Nico is a fucking machine. Last time I saw Maiden we were positioned up the side of the arena and couldn't actually see him properly. This time we were dead in front. The old bugger just goes off all fucking night, and never misses a beat. Loved seeing him lay into that massive drum kit.

9. Bruce's tribute to Christchurch was nice. He said he remembered how beautiful the city had been (it was, as far as cities go), and that it had changed, with so much of it flattened, the people killed, and the trees gone (a point I had missed, having being too close to it), and the city might not be a beautiful again (it won't be because most of the new buildings are hideous). But like so many other people who have been here post-quakes, was impressed with the way people seem to have coped, and the spirit of the people and place.

10. Support band The Raven Age were a much better support band than Lauren Harris last time. They played chuggy music somewhere between trad metal and speed metal, but were a bit unmemorable. Their singer is a reasonable frontman, but his singing style is a bit flat and boring, and they really would benefit from a singer with a harsher voice.

11. There is nowhere in Christchurch which plays decent rock music for having a drink after the show. :evil: The two so-called "rock" venues had stupid fucking drum-and-bass DJ crap playing. So we ended up in the one with pool tables. Fucking earthquakes destroyed all the other venues.

12. Double quarter pounders from McD's really hit the spot at 3 in the morning. :D

Overall, it was a fucking great night out. This is probably the last chance we'll get to see Iron Maiden in this part of the world, which is a shame. If they do ever come back, I'll be first in line for tickets.

And I got one of these t-shirts (same as every second person there last night! :lol: )

Edited by Vim Fuego - 29 Apr 2016 at 5:35pm
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 5:09pm
Sounds like a great concert, I wish Iron Maiden would come around here sometime. They never do though sadly, apart from the occasional New York City stop.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 5:10pm
Sounds great, but you do mean the 29th of april right? Tongue
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Sounds great, but you do mean the 29th of april right? Tongue

EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

I can't even use the excuse I was drinking. I had one beer last night, because I had to drive.

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 9:23pm
Sounds great! Must see them sooooon. Time is running out. This year is proving that. Great description of the show, Vim. I love the new album. So yeah, fuck all the naysayers. Someone should slap the shit outa them

Edited by siLLy puPPy - 29 Apr 2016 at 9:23pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 1:02am
I want to see them on this tour so bad but the only UK date they've announced is the Download Festival. And apparently they've released all the 2016 dates. Cry
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic