MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What TV shows are you watching right now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 42>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 6:49am
My current favorite TV Show. Works as a comedy, but there's some interesting philosophical moments too.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 2:49pm
Finally had time to binge my way through season 1 of The Witcher, and I must say that I loved it:
Henry Cavill, Freya Allan, and Anya Chalotra in The Witcher (2019)
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 3:09pm
I watched the Witcher over the course of two weekends.  I'm not sure that I quite got what was going on...but I kept watching so I guess that is something.  :) 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 1:52am
Netflix has a released a timeline map that can help make sense of the series narrative: https://www.witchernetflix.com/en-gb

A must if you haven't read the books or played the games (which take place after the books but reference events regularly). 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 1:55am
I thought that Witcher was great. Currently on Messiah which is a bit like Homeland against a backdrop of Armageddon. I thought it’s been really well done. Just last couple of episodes to finish off.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 2:05am
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

I guess it'll play out at least part way by the final episode, which is supposed to be Cybermen based. Might not get all of it this season though. Hope Jack appears again because we need to have scenes with him and 13 together! Only disappointing bit of the episode. Otherwise this is the most interesting Doctor Who has been for years. 

Thinking about it the most likely place for another previously unseen Doctor is between Second and Third. It's well established in canon that The Second Doctor does not regenerate into the Third right at the end of his final serial The War Games. This is the old Season 6B theory. It's also established that the Second Doctor did work for the Time Lords during this point in his life. It's also entirely possible that at some point he tried to run away from this role he'd been stuck in and regenerated at some point into the incarnation played by Jo Martin. Troughton has never been explicitly shown to regenerate into Pertwee. 

The biggest hole in this theory is that at the start of Pertwee's era he is seen wearing Troughton's outfit. But that is explainable if the Time Lords didn't want him to remember being the Jo Martin Doctor and had wiped it from his memory. It's like part of a cover up. The Doctor's original regeneration cycle and belief that Tennant's aborted one did count as a full one can also work with this theory. He must have known as soon as he become Smith's incarnation that he couldn't do it again and not remembering the Jo Martin incarnation assumed that to be the case. But just maybe it's wasn't. Maybe they did have 13 full incarnations in their original cycle: Hartnell - Troughton - Martin - Pertwee - T. Baker - Davison - C. Baker - McCoy - McGann - Hurt - Eccleston - Tennant - Smith. Second cycle is so far Capaldi - Whittaker for a total of 15 distinct incarnations. 

This would explain why Martin's TARDIS is a police box, though not why she didn't recognise a Sonic Screwdriver. Though that device has evolved a lot over the years in the show, so it's not unfeasible. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Netflix has a released a timeline map that can help make sense of the series narrative: https://www.witchernetflix.com/en-gb

A must if you haven't read the books or played the games (which take place after the books but reference events regularly). 
I was totally confused the first couple of episodes, and I actually didn´t get that everything didn´t take place at the same time, until Geralt was suddeny at Court with Calanthe. But I like it that way. A tv-show able to keep me on my toes is always worth watching...
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 1:03pm
The trouble is the first season has all been based on the short stories. Once they get onto the actual Saga it should become much more coherent. 
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 9:32am

Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

I guess it'll play out at least part way by the final episode, which is supposed to be Cybermen based. Might not get all of it this season though. Hope Jack appears again because we need to have scenes with him and 13 together! Only disappointing bit of the episode. Otherwise this is the most interesting Doctor Who has been for years. 

Thinking about it the most likely place for another previously unseen Doctor is between Second and Third. It's well established in canon that The Second Doctor does not regenerate into the Third right at the end of his final serial The War Games. This is the old Season 6B theory. It's also established that the Second Doctor did work for the Time Lords during this point in his life. It's also entirely possible that at some point he tried to run away from this role he'd been stuck in and regenerated at some point into the incarnation played by Jo Martin. Troughton has never been explicitly shown to regenerate into Pertwee. 

The biggest hole in this theory is that at the start of Pertwee's era he is seen wearing Troughton's outfit. But that is explainable if the Time Lords didn't want him to remember being the Jo Martin Doctor and had wiped it from his memory. It's like part of a cover up. The Doctor's original regeneration cycle and belief that Tennant's aborted one did count as a full one can also work with this theory. He must have known as soon as he become Smith's incarnation that he couldn't do it again and not remembering the Jo Martin incarnation assumed that to be the case. But just maybe it's wasn't. Maybe they did have 13 full incarnations in their original cycle: Hartnell - Troughton - Martin - Pertwee - T. Baker - Davison - C. Baker - McCoy - McGann - Hurt - Eccleston - Tennant - Smith. Second cycle is so far Capaldi - Whittaker for a total of 15 distinct incarnations. 

This would explain why Martin's TARDIS is a police box, though not why she didn't recognise a Sonic Screwdriver. Though that device has evolved a lot over the years in the show, so it's not unfeasible. 

Also feasible. I somehow doubt we'll get many (if any) answers in tomorrow's episode though. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 10:18am
New Altered Carbon coming at the end of the month. Will be a priority watch for me. Unsure of how it will proceed though. I read the trilogy between seeing season 1 and this being made and the casting of new characters is all over the place with characters who would have been in season 1 mentioned, as well as characters from books 2 and 3 who should be from completely different storylines. Really hoping they don't fuck this one up but I have this sinking feeling...
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 11:23am
Finally started watching Vikings, as it´s now available on Netflix. Me and my wife are binging our way through season 1 and we both love it. Lots of incorrect historical Things which as a Scandinavian it´s probably more easily detected, but it´s entertainment and not a history leason, and I find it very entertaining.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 4:11pm
^ I know they had to condense a lot of history into a shorter timeline. I don't know how accurate it is in terms of how they are depicted as a people. It's a great series though. We are close to the mid-season finale of season 6 right now and it's just as good as ever IMO. 
GG2U

Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 9:56am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Finally started watching Vikings, as it´s now available on Netflix. Me and my wife are binging our way through season 1 and we both love it. Lots of incorrect historical Things which as a Scandinavian it´s probably more easily detected, but it´s entertainment and not a history leason, and I find it very entertaining.

Have you seen Norsemen? What do you think? It's comedy, but actually made by scandinavians (norwegians).
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Tupan Tupan wrote:

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Have you seen Norsemen? What do you think? It's comedy, but actually made by scandinavians (norwegians).
Nope I seldom Watch comedy, but maybe that´s a place to start.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 1:21pm
So the latest Walking Dead episode was basically a remake of the movie The Descent. 
GG2U

Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 7:20am

I liked this zombie show. Minimalist dialogues, good action and variety in the episode lenghts (from 70 min to 20 min). Sometimes the low budget is too much evident, but the series was a good surprise anyway!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 5:59am
I'll be starting Altered Carbon season 2 later today. Been looking forward to this one. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Tupan Tupan wrote:

I liked this zombie show. Minimalist dialogues, good action and variety in the episode lenghts (from 70 min to 20 min). Sometimes the low budget is too much evident, but the series was a good surprise anyway!
I´ve now watched season 1 twice, and I think it´s quite brillant.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 9:41am

I'll be starting Altered Carbon season 2 later today. Been looking forward to this one. 

I´m not sure why, but I wasn´t too fond of season 1. I´ll Watch season 2 to see if my opinion changes.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 9:43am

So the latest Walking Dead episode was basically a remake of the movie The Descent. 
My wife and I have dropped watching this season. I think we´re just about done with The Walkin Dead. The quality of the show has dropped drastically since season 5 or 6. I loved how the conflict with Neegan started, but it soon got old and longdrawn, and we´ve lost interest in the show.

I haven´t watched the last season of Fear the Walking Dead either. That show started relatively promising too, but the last season wasn´t that great and I´ve lost interest.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 42>
  Share Topic