Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MMA Collaborator's Top Albums of 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 10:19am
Yeah me to. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 5:05pm
My #1 album isn't even on the list Cry

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 5:09pm
^ Sorry, that one didn't even crack the top 100. 
GG2U

rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 5:59pm
I only listened to the Amorphis album on Spotify one time, a day or two before submitting my picks.  It was very impressive.  I am tempted to purchase the CD despite the harsh vocals.  With more listens it might have made my list. 
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 6:41pm
Rest in peace Hatchet, sweet prince.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 1:37am
I found this graph most telling. It didn't surprise me in the slightest. I think it quite accurately shows the general distribution of reviews and what everyone listens to here. Black metal followed by progressive followed by traditional.Smile If I ever get motivated, I might go through the "Now playing" thread for a week or a month and see if it reflects something similar, although there's a lot of non-metal listened to here. This all puts paid to the old accusation that metal fans only listen to a very narrow type of music!

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 11:53am
In case anyone was interested, I added the rest of the top 100 to the end of the presentation. No formatting or exact scores (many albums that far down are tied), just a list. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 11:54am
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Rest in peace Hatchet, sweet prince.

Joint 36th, so it only just missed out on being included. By literally one point. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

In case anyone was interested, I added the rest of the top 100 to the end of the presentation. No formatting or exact scores (many albums that far down are tied), just a list. 

Thanks, I was going to ask if you could do that when you had time.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Jbird Jbird wrote:

My #1 album isn't even on the list Cry

It made my top 30 but obviously by the result not too many people can have given them a vote.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 12:20pm
Amorphis is one of those bands I've listened to on occasion and enjoyed but never really completely got into. 

Edited by adg211288 - 03 Apr 2016 at 12:41pm
GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 1:30pm
Thanks for your hard work Adam Clap

2015 was a fantastic year for black metal, a genre I don't typically listen to much of but it dominated my list.

My submissions, for the sake ofnon-collabs (#1 at the top)
Mgla - Exercises in Futility
Batushka - Litourgiya
Drudkh - A Furrow Cut Short
Sunn O))) - Kannon
Krallice - Ygg hurr
High on Fire - Luminiferous
Enslaved - In Times
Ahab - The Boats Of Glen Carrig
Vattnet Viskar - Settler
Outre - Ghost Chants
Akhlys - The Dreaming I
Deafheaven - New Bermuda
Panopticon - Autumn Eternal
Horn - Feldpost
Leviathan - Scar Sighted
Intronaut - The Direction of Last Things
Melechesh - Enki

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 03 Apr 2016 at 1:32pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 7:33am

This looks pretty bare without the usual quotes but I didn't want to delay it. The following albums need positive reviews in order to add them.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/saxon/battering-ram
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/drudkh/a-furrow-cut-short
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/leprous/the-congregation
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/vanden-plas/chronicles-of-the-immortals-netherworld-ii
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/mgla1/exercises-in-futility
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/panopticon/autumn-eternal
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/between-the-buried-and-me/coma-ecliptic

I've just reviewed the Panopticon album but we still need reviews for the others. Or comments. 
GG2U

Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 7:10pm
I do love these album of the year threads. I go to youtube and listen to a bunch of them Smile

My thoughts on Unleash The Archers…great singer, meh band. I've listened to them before, and my thoughts were pretty much the same. She needs a better band, and better songs.

Panopticon…exactly why I don't care much for black metal. The song I listened to on youtube was roughly 7 minutes long, and had the exact same drum blast beat going on for the entire 7 minutes. No variation or anything. I DO realize that black metal can offer much more than that, but after listening to that song, I really don't want to hear any more of Panopticon. No offense to anyone here that likes them, just not my thing is all. And while I'm on the subject of black metal, there have been so many albums over the years I've heard people rave about, but when I listen to them it sounds like a 5-year old did the mixing and mastering. Is it part of the genre to do an intentionally bad job of recording/mixing/mastering? Again, no thanks.

Avatarium…So far I really like what I hear. I may have to buy this, and I'm not a big doom metal fan either.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 4:11am
I thought that Unleash the Archers writing was massively improved on Time Stands Still. I'd have given them 5 stars if I could shake the feeling that the growls are completely unnecessary in their sound. A bit cheesy at times for sure (Test Your Metal, for instance), but less so than many power metal bands are. 

The Panopticon album is plenty varied to my ears, though not as much as the others I've heard from him I admit. You should try Kentucky (2012) out. It's a very different take on the genre. 
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 5:31am
Yeah Time Stands Still is miles ahead of their other work.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 4:37am
Please check back to the presentation again to find an updated version. Still no quotes, but I added a video for each album. Also fixed a small mistake with the numbering. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 5:38am
^Nice feature with the vids Adam Clap

...just had a listen to a couple I didn´t know, and it´s a good way to get a short introduction.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 6:14am
Thumbs Up

For those of you on Spotify I made an almost complete playlist of the same songs. Only two bands missing as their albums weren't on there. Those being Clutch and Mgła.

https://play.spotify.com/user/adg211288/playlist/32VIvqzkCrJOj89XoHOVDH
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 8:50am

Please check back to the presentation again to find an updated version. Still no quotes, but I added a video for each album. Also fixed a small mistake with the numbering. 

a nice touch Adam. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic