MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - People's reaction after finding out you like metal
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

People's reaction after finding out you like metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wyvern_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 9:22am
Ahahaha, Antimetalclub, I remember that. We had some discussions on that stuff on the old Haven youtube group. Can hardly believe its been so long.

Anyways, I usually dont get much of a reaction at all. Most of my wardrobe is band merch and I have long hair and a beard so my musical preference is really rather obvious to most people. I very occasionally get some comments (or shouts) from random strangers but they are usually drunk or something and I pay that stuff no mind. Most consistent reactions come from relatives in the form of "cut your hair/shave you beard" kinda comments but they are usually not in a negative tone so I'm mostly fine with it.
Þessi undirskrift kemur málinu bara alls ekkert við!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Wyvern_13 Wyvern_13 wrote:

Most consistent reactions come from relatives in the form of "cut your hair/shave you beard" kinda comments but they are usually not in a negative tone so I'm mostly fine with it.

I get those too. I don't usually have a beard but I did try one out late last year for a change. My Grandmother was horrified. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 3:00pm
As some of you know, I work as an associate professor, which means that I teach a lot of classes and have had a lot of students in my time. I have long hair and a braid in my beard, and I wear band t-shirts when I teach, because that's my everyday apparel. I have never had any negative responses from my students. On the contrary, they think it's pretty cool that their teacher likes metal and appreciate that I don't look like your stereotypical professor. I think it makes me seem more like a regular dude and real person to them and not some ivory tower-dwelling egghead (in reality, I am an ivory tower-dwelling egghead ;-) ).
Alex View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 10:35am
I'm a builder by trade which often involves picking someone up to go to a job. It can be people I haven't known for long. I usually stick to fairly traditional stuff for the drive rather than 'inflict' something extreme like death metal on them (I'm too nice as I've had to suffer some dire stuff when its me getting picked up).

Usually people are simply surprised that I like metal. I guess I don't really fit the image most non-metal people think a metal fan looks like. I don't have long hair (did in my teens) and no tats or piercings. And I obviously don't wear my band shirts on a building site to advertise it either.
Sisslith View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sisslith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 3:19pm
I remember when I started listening to rock and hard rock music in my 12-13s (Kiss, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Guns N' Roses...) that some of my classmates occasionally tried to tease me for that. I didn't care much about it and found it extremely stupid, so it didn't affected me at all.

After that I haven't really encountered annoying reactions from people. Since I listen to metal music at home almost every day (especially black/death metal), my family usually say things like: "Turn down that devilish music!"; "I don't know how you can study with that music" and so on, but they never say it in a mean way, just for fun LOL I'm looking forward to my mother's reaction when Slayer's Reign in Blood arrives home Big smile

My girlfriend is now accustomed to it, but when we started dating she couldn't understand why I listened to metal music and stuff, partly because I don't have the "usual" metalhead appearance. But I showed her some softer heavy metal songs (mostly ballads and instrumental tunes, which she liked) and told her "para gustos los colores" (something like one man's meat is another man's poison).

Fortunately, I have friends with similar tastes in music and, since I started university, I've met many people who like rock, punk, electronic and a wide range of different musical genres, so I've learned from them too.

However, what I've learned is that there are still a lot of prejudices against metal music. The ignorance speaks for itself when people simply relate heavy metal to satanism, freaks, emos or goths. Either it is ignorance or sheer idiocy. People should respect other people's musical tastes, as I suppose every one in this site does (for example, I hate reggaeton music and its branches, but I don't despise or look down on others for liking it).

Only the dead have seen the end of war.
Without music, life would be a mistake.
tapfret View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 9:48pm
As an inpatient RN time for small talk at work as minimal and music rarely becomes a subject. When it does I tend to speak in generalizations like, "I listen to music from all over the world that never get radio play". When specifics come up I get way more negative response about the AvantGarde and proggish stuff I listen too than the metal. Mostly its just blank expressions. Although one of the discussions with an older nurses about the 40th anniversary JT Stand Up Elevated edition caused her to bring in her 1969 first press vinyl with the pop-up center for show n tell. But as far as metal, their knowledge never exceeds Iron Maiden t-shirts and doing that thing that everyone does who thinks they are being funny by singing "I am Iron Man" to the tune of the verse riff, which never actually happens in the song. 

Outside of work, what I listen to is an open book. So no issues.

Edited by tapfret - 25 Apr 2017 at 10:37pm
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 11:30am
At work colleagues dismiss it as "Chris listens to that loud metal and punk shit" although some will proudly tell you that somewhere they have a Back in Black or Number of the Beast CD.
keefer1970 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefer1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 6:38am
When I'm at work I get a lot of "You don't LOOK like a metal head." Well, duh. An Iron Maiden tee would be against the dress code. 

I also frequently hear "You still listen to that stuff? At your age?" (I'm 47)... yeah, sorry, I didn't get the memo that said I was supposed to start wearing sweaters and listening to Dave Matthews Band as soon as I hit 30 :D
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by keefer1970 keefer1970 wrote:

When I'm at work I get a lot of "You don't LOOK like a metal head." Well, duh. An Iron Maiden tee would be against the dress code. 

I also frequently hear "You still listen to that stuff? At your age?" (I'm 47)... yeah, sorry, I didn't get the memo that said I was supposed to start wearing sweaters and listening to Dave Matthews Band as soon as I hit 30 :D

My mother is still waiting for me to grow out of it at the age of 44.Wink
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 10:00am
My parents aren't waiting for me to grow out of it but my mother at least is still waiting for the day when I decide that I own enough CD's and will never buy any more music. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
keefer1970 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefer1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

my mother at least is still waiting for the day when I decide that I own enough CD's and will never buy any more music. 

That sounds like my wife!! :D

Every time I come thru the door with some new CDs in my hand she kinda rolls her eyes like "Oh good Lord..." Haha
Iwan Ruby View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwan Ruby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 11:24am
no one really cares when someone finds out i like metal!
it's just that they ask more often "do metal people really have to always wear black shirts?"
ORIDISTRO Your Criminal Partners
BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 1:06pm
I work in the office of a traffic management company where the absurdly poor radio is played constantly. Sometimes, I have to go to meetings with colleagues and we'll jump in my car where they're met with full blast Gorguts. They protest telling me the classic lines "its just noise" and "you can't make out the words" to which I just tell them they're not listening properly 😉

The heaviest thing any of them like is Boston.
Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 3:22pm
When folk are trying to be engaging (rather than insulting) I usually get questions like, "So you like Iron Maiden?" or make statements like, "I have Back In Black on vinyl up in the attic - great album".
DeathofMan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathofMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 2:07am
Someone once said this to me: "Why do you like such dark, angry music? You are so sweet and quiet!"

Well those emotions have to be let out somehow
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 2:33am
Yeah it´s a primal thing. It´s better than beating other people or shouting nasty things at them LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic