MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vic's Dungeon - a blog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vic's Dungeon - a blog
    Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 10:46am
I've started translating some of the articles in my blog. Most of them are stuff that I wrote for the Greek Metal Hammer but hopefully I will be translating all the rest too.

If by any chance you spot an article that is in Greek and it seems interesting, let me know and maybe it will be the next translation.

For now:

Vektor - Thrash till Heat Death! Interview with David DiSanto (2011)

Remember the Fallen: all of these were taken from a special Metal Hammer did on fallen heroes.
Keith Deen (Holy Terror) This includes an article on Holy Terror.

Any feedback is welcome.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 4:15pm
Looks like a great blog. Haven't had time to have a proper look yet but some interesting choices in your best of 2015 list.

Looking forward to checking it out some more over the coming days. Thumbs Up
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 4:27pm
Nice blog, I'll have to check out some of those 2015 albums that I haven't gotten to hearing yet. Especially that Sacral Rage sounded good.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 10:58pm
Completely nothing to do with metal Vic, but your blog says you're from Crete. Ever hear of this fella?

Kiwi soldier called Charles Upham. Won the Victoria Cross in Crete in WW2 and then won another one in North Africa. Was recommended for a third, but it got combined into the second one. Kiwi metal band Subtract wrote a song about him, but it's not on YouTube anywhere. I'll try and upload it at the weekend if I remember how.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 1:45am
I read the Bolt Thrower vs. neonazi scum article...great read Clap
...also the Patterson article. Always nice to read as much as possible about Patterson. I´m a huge Atheist fan.

Edited by UMUR - 09 Mar 2016 at 1:46am
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 8:51am
Cool! Thanks for the feedback and kind words! I can't really take credit for the BT story though, that's pure Karl Willets, I just found it.

Vim, no, never heard of him before but I looked him up on wikipedia and was very impressed! I know the places where he fought very well, I spent one summer in one of them. Bolt Thrower should do a song about him! Bolt Thrower should do a song really.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 9:04am
^I second that...We want new Bolt Thrower, We want new Bolt Thrower, We want new Bolt Thrower, We want new Bolt Thrower, We want new Bolt Thrower, We want new Bolt Thrower, We want new Bolt Thrower, We want new Bolt Thrower, We want new Bolt Thrower, We want new Bolt Thrower, We want new Bolt Thrower, We want new Bolt Thrower, We want new Bolt Thrower.......................
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 10:13am
^I get the feeling that I should check out Bolt Thrower. LOL

I've known about them for a while now but never gotten to checking them out, any recommendations for where to start?
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 11:13am
:) These are the songs you are looking for (chronologically). TIP OF THE ICEBERG: 
World Eater
Cenotaph
What Dwells Within
The IVth Crusade (one of my favorite songs, ever)
Remembrance
No Guts, No Glory
Inside the Wire
Anti-Tank (Dead Armour)
When Cannons Fade

If you want to start properly with a whole album, I suggest War master for brilliant old school death metal, The IVth Crusade where they perfected their sound and Those Once Loyal (their last one), which is so good the band threw in the trash its successor as unworthy to follow it. Which is where we left them ten years ago and still hope that one day they will feel the need to write again.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 12:58pm
^They were still touring in those years though, until their drummer died (last year?). I saw them on the tour supporting The VI Crusade and on the tour supporting ...for Victory. As you´d expect they slayed. The very show that I attended for The VI Crusade was filmed for MTV´s Headbangers Ball, so it might actually be out there somewhere. (12th of February 1993) Pumpehuset, Copenhagen, Denmark

Edited by UMUR - 10 Mar 2016 at 1:57am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 12:33am
Oh, I also forgot to say... Love the blog Vic! And don't forget In Battle There Is No Law. Not as heavy as what came after it, but it's a brilliant brand of almost out of control full throttle death/grind with insane lead guitar almost flung at random all over the place. I love how chaotic and unrestrained it is.
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 8:06am
I was listing songs mostly, you know the hits (top 50 billboard at least, haha) but yeah, In Battle There Is No Law is a classic, even if I find it to be the weakest in their discography along with Mercenary - which says a lot really if those two are your worst albums!

Thanks for the kind words for the blog! :)
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 8:13am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

^They were still touring in those years though, until their drummer died (last year?). I saw them on the tour supporting The VI Crusade and on the tour supporting ...for Victory. As you´d expect they slayed. The very show that I attended for The VI Crusade was filmed for MTV´s Headbangers Ball, so it might actually be out there somewhere. (12th of February 1993) Pumpehuset, Copenhagen, Denmark

Yeah, Martin Kearns died last September. I know they were touring, I saw them in 2010 myself (better late than never, their first gig in Greece) and it was incredible. I am kinda hoping that maybe Andy Whale will return, after all he is still active, last month they announced a new band featuring him and Karl Willets, Benediction/Cerebral Fix bassist Frank Healy and current Benediction guitarist (I forget his name).

https://www.facebook.com/Memoriam2016/?fref=ts

The idea is that since Bolt Thrower is on hold, Willets wanted to do stuff. But the point is that there is someone to fill the position of drummer. I like the idea of Memoriam but it's not like I'm expecting it to be as good as Bolt Thrower, since the major composers are missing...
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 9:03am
^Yeah I read about Memoriam and made a note to check them out when they release something. A band with members and ex-members of Bolt Thrower and Benediction doing something together doesn´t sound like bad news to me Clap
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 5:28pm

Here's the Subtract song for ya Vic. As soon as I got the damn thing uploaded I found the band had already done it.Embarrassed My upload is louder!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image