Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Year's revolutions...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Year's revolutions...
    Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 1:14pm
I know the year is now 24 days old, and that I've put "revolution" rather than "resolution", but it's a cooler word...Smile

Anyway, this year I have made myself some loose resolutions, which should be reasonably easy to keep (that's the secret to keeping them- make 'em simple and something you actually want to do!). It's not about losing weight and shit (which I need to do, and sort of work at half-heartedly), but it's about metal.

1. Rate everything I own.

This year I'm going to try to work my way through and rate everything I own which is on the site. Some things I have don't have any ratings. I've not been doing it up to now, and only rating things I review, which leaves a lot of stuff unrated. I've also avoided it a bit because I have a few odd opinions (Rust In Peace is only a 2...)

2. Reviewing the un-reviewed

I'm going to only review stuff which isn't already been reviewed. I could get in and do the classics, like Reign In Blood and Master Of Puppets, but they all have a heap of reviews already (I did Dystopia because for once, living in New Zealand had an advantage- international dateline and all that meant I could be first to do it on day of release!), and I have stuff which other people don't, but might like. Therefore, if I review it, they might check it out.

3. Discovering new music
4. Expand the genres on the site

These two go together. I've been working through the Grindcore bands, adding releases and new bands, but I've been checking some of them out too on YouTube to make sure they're in the right place on the site (can't always trust RYM!), and I've discovered a heap of new music. Sure, some of it is decidedly dodgy, some is nasty, and some is crap, (that probably goes with any genre), but I've discovered a heap of new stuff I like. I think I might be going the opposite to what most people do, in that my tastes are getting heavier, not lighter, as I get older.Confused

5. Try to find the positives in stuff I don't like...

Something I love about this forum is everyone seems to get along, and there are no flame wars, either serious or in jest, because it doesn't take much for something to start out fun and end up nasty. I can leave that for other forums. To that end, I've been trying to hold my tongue (fingers? This is all typed, not spoken!) when it comes to bands I dislike. I got pulled up a couple of times for being a dick when I first started posting here, and when I look at it, quite rightly so. I misjudged the tone of things here. I'm sure a lot of music I don't like has redeeming features I don't always hear. That's why we have reviews. Check someone else's opinion first, criticize later/in private/never...

Anyway, I've been on this site and forum for over six months now, and I like it a lot. It's what I do in my spare time now, which kind of leads me on to...

6. Be sensible about how much time I spend here!

The missus does get a bit annoyed at times.Embarrassed I think little and often might be the best way to go...

Anyway. \m/Wacko\m/ for 2016.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 1:38pm
I assume the Grindcore sub sure needs some work. Unfortunately, at least for me, I find it hard to stomach some of the album covers in there so I try to check out the bands with the least disgusting album art. Dead

As for me, I'm going to try and start and be a bit harsher with my ratings. Of course the review is really what matters, but I sometimes rate things 5 stars even if the whole or almost the whole album isn't of equal great quality. I'll sometimes rate something 5 stars first impression, but then I'll forget most of the album a few hours later. Also, sometimes I want one of my favorite bands albums rating to go up even if a realistic rating would be 4. Hopefully I'll be able to be a little more serious with ratings. 

As far as reviewing the un-reviewed, I've got quite a few albums I should review that have no reviews. It's nice getting reviews of obscure stuff, then you can get more people aware of some underrated album that was forgotten. I need to finish up reviewing 2015 stuff as well. I've been procrastinating with that. LOL
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 1:38pm
I fully agree with your comments about this forum's vibe. It's nice being able to discuss music in an environment where opinions can be debated with respect for one other. People take music way too seriously sometimes (especially on the internet), so it's great to have a forum where the only goal is to share a love of metal. Beer Nice post.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I fully agree with your comments about this forum's vibe. It's nice being able to discuss music in an environment where opinions can be debated with respect for one other. People take music way too seriously sometimes (especially on the internet), so it's great to have a forum where the only goal is to share a love of metal. Beer Nice post.

Yup, this is easily the nicest site/forum I've been on. While EM has more bands in their database, I take a nice respectful forum over more bands any day. Who needs obscure lo-fi black metal artists with one demo when you have a nice community is what I say. LOL
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 1:59pm
^...and we all have a responsibility that it stays that way Thumbs Up
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

I assume the Grindcore sub sure needs some work. Unfortunately, at least for me, I find it hard to stomach some of the album covers in there so I try to check out the bands with the least disgusting album art. Dead

I can handle most of the album art, but I did find one cover a bit disturbing yesterday. Not telling you what it was or what band. It's mostly done for shock value, but some of it can be quite witty or has a strong message. Other times, it's just gross for gross sake.Big smile
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 5:22pm
Can't argue with any of that. 

1. Fortunately I've kept a database of my music collection for years and have rated them all so it's pretty easy to keep on top of it.

3. I'm on an eternal quest to discover new bands - there's no better feeling than discovering a great band you've never heard before - only problem with that is I can't keep up with the amount of stuff I want to add to my collection.

6. Be sensible - nah!

Edited by Nightfly - 23 Jan 2016 at 5:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic