Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will CD's ever make a comeback?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 5:45am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I have a nice little radio in my room that I bought this year that is now my main CD player. It actually has a tape deck too, not that I have any tapes aside from an old Jasper Carrot comedy one that I think came free with something my parents bought donkeys years ago. I also have my old Sony Walkman but I don't use that so much since I got the radio. Before the new car most of my CD's were played that way. I used the digital copies on my PC a lot for random playing as well, but I expect because of the new car most of my listening will be digital based now. Won't stop be adding more CD's to my collection though. 

I'm a big fan of the CD (I guess I came along a bit too late to have any real appreciation for vinyl - I own one Foo Fighters 7" which I've never actually listened to). I don't consider them dead yet despite mainstream efforts to hammer the final nail in the coffin. Real music fans will always have an appreciation for physical media (not saying that anyone who does go digital only isn't a real music fan, so read on before you explode at me). The trouble is people who listen exclusively to mainstream music IMO are not music fans, but trend followers. The sort of people who rave about whoever is in the charts at that moment being oh so good but has forgotten all about them five minutes later when the next five minute famer comes along. You can see the evidence of this if you look through the CD's in any second hand shop. So based on that it is no wonder why the major labels are trying to kill the CD. Metal labels though I think will continue to support them. Vinyl too. 

There's a lot of truth in what you say. The group of friends my wife and I have who we met through my wife aren't fans of any music apart from the usual top 30 rubbish and I doubt any of them buy a single Cd or even pay for a download all year. They're MP3 files will be made up of low quality free downloads but to them music not that important so fair enough. They're always trying to get us to go to crappy boy band tributes with backing tapes and can't get their head around what I listen to...lol. "So do you like Status Quo and Meatloaf?" is a typical question I got asked by them being their idea of metal. I'll have to play them some Nile one day and see the reaction or better still get them to a good metal gig.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 6:49am
I still buy CDs. I only buy digital releases if I can't find them on CD.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 11:33am
"I'll have to play them some Nile one day and see the reaction" - I've tried that (or similar) with folk and they just screw their faces up and respond with "can't believe you listen to that shit / that's not music / I can't understand what they're saying / give me Robbie Williams any day ...."

Used to find it frustrating as I know some of the stuff I have would blow them away if they knew how to listen to it, but I've given up. I now take pride in being the freak who listens to that shit ;-)

And back on topic, I still buy shed loads of CDs.

Edited by Bosh66 - 24 Feb 2016 at 11:33am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

"I'll have to play them some Nile one day and see the reaction" - I've tried that (or similar) with folk and they just screw their faces up and respond with "can't believe you listen to that shit / that's not music / I can't understand what they're saying / give me Robbie Williams any day ...."

Used to find it frustrating as I know some of the stuff I have would blow them away if they knew how to listen to it, but I've given up. I now take pride in being the freak who listens to that shit ;-)

Kinda reminds me of a video I saw yesterday:

http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/features/2016-02-23/watch-this-metalhead-cover-suicide-silence-on-romania-s-got-talent
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 12:07pm
LOL
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 2:15pm
^^ Seen that sort of thing before.

This girl did the same. She ended up joining the band Eths. I suspect this guy's probably hoping for a similar outcome.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 5:02pm
Yeah I've seen this sort of thing a couple of times on British shows too...yes there was a time when I did watch things like The X Factor. Embarrassed Needless to say the judges were not impressed. They only want commercial throwaway pop that can make them a quick profit and then dump the artist after the contract they won is up (I know a few UK talent show winners have done well but a lot haven't). Then the cycle repeats. And the general public laps it up. Which of course comes back around to my earlier comments about the mainstream trying to kill off the CD. After all if they're just going to throw it away next clear out why bother having the expense of pressing physical copies?

They aren't dead yet in the mainstream of course, but I do wonder how long it is before supermarkets knock even the chart wall on the head and launch their own download services (since you know, supermarkets always seem to want to muscle in on other businesses). 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 9:54am
It's strange how I come across articles from time to time telling you to throw all your CD's out,they're obsolete, yet a quick look on Amazon or ebay at out of print CD's (including ones you wouldn't think are particularly rare) and you'll see sellers asking crazy sums of money for them like £70 for example. Whether they ever sell them I couldn't say.

Edited by Nightfly - 12 Mar 2016 at 9:55am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic