Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will CD's ever make a comeback?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will CD's ever make a comeback?
    Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 4:29pm
I was just thinking with the resurgence of vinyl and even the cassette to an extent over recent years if Cd's will ever gain favour again. Okay, they still sell in relatively large quantities but not compared to what they sold in the past. The media will have you believe they're dead which is complete tosh in my opinion as there's always going to be some who want a hard copy, myself included and the sound quality is superior to MP3.

I think this is the first year since the 80's I've bought more on vinyl than Cd but I haven't given up on them yet.

So what do you think? Is a vinyl like resurgence awaiting them in the future?

Edited by Nightfly - 07 Dec 2015 at 4:31pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 5:14pm
I don't think they'll disappear. It's good they are now a lot cheaper in real and relative terms than ever. It's probably because of when I grew up, but I prefer CD to vinyl and tape. They are more convenient, and there are disc players everywhere.

Saying that though, my younger brother has no disc player of any sort- CD, DVD or even in his computers. Reckons he doesn't need them. He's got high speed broadband though, which helps a lot. Mine is powered by hamster wheel...
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 5:17pm
Probably never to the extent of their glory days simply because you can rip them to a hard drive at full resolution and share with your friends. I do however spend way too much cash on CdS because I want a physical back up as well as the artwork and liner notes. Unfortunately many lesser music lovers don't give a rat's ass about quality
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 8:50pm
I could see them making a 'comeback' like vinyl did years from now. I personally prefer CD's to any other media of music, as they are more portable and easy to get onto a computer. I will buy cassettes and vinyl if I seem them cheap though, and vinyl does have bigger cover artwork.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 11:00pm
Hell I don't have enough CD's to begin w/ so I certainly hope they'll be around long enough! I plan on exponentially expanding my collection starting next year.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 12:42am
No, they don´t have the charm of vinyls, and are too similar to more modern digital formats to compete.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 12:49am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

No, they don´t have the charm of vinyls, and are too similar to more modern digital formats to compete.

Well, you can't stick many of the modern digital formats on a shelf to show off your collection.Wink
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 6:12am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Well, you can't stick many of the modern digital formats on a shelf to show off your collection.Wink

I guess I just never liked the CD format, and won´t miss it one bit. It´s a shame I have so many CDs that at some point in the future can´t be played anymore, as a consequence of CD players not being produced anymore, but in the great Whole I don´t see it as a huge issue. But on the other hand I´ve actually started purchasing CD players and storing them, to make sure I have something to play my CDs on when my current machine dies Tongue.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 11:28am

Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

I guess I just never liked the CD format, and won´t miss it one bit. It´s a shame I have so many CDs that at some point in the future can´t be played anymore, as a consequence of CD players not being produced anymore, but in the great Whole I don´t see it as a huge issue. But on the other hand I´ve actually started purchasing CD players and storing them, to make sure I have something to play my CDs on when my current machine dies Tongue.

I think you are paranoid about this! CDs will NEVER go away just like LPs never went away. The question here is will there be a comeback and i don't think so either but at the same time they are cheap to produce and there are plenty of collectors like myself who want the physical items. Maybe it will be destined as a niche market only but one that will never go away IMHO. Likewise CD players are incorporated into every DVD, Blue Ray and Play Station video game councils. Since the round disc is a ubiquitous form of media i can't foresee it ever totally going away. There are too many things to go wrong with a purely electronic media format and that is why a hard physical copy will always be desirable. 

One way CDs are alive and viable here in the SF Bay Area is by the many used music stores that we still have. One can purchase a handful of used CDs and then return them within 7 days for a 70% refund. In effect it is a rental system where one can rip all the music to a hard drive and then return the items.

Also the fact that there are constantly reissues that are of much better quality than the original issues and the constant rereleases of anniversay issues etc will guarantee the format will at least be alive for some time. Of course there could always be a revolutionary technological breakthrough that renders them a thing of the past, but even so there are always niche markets that keep dinosaur technologies alive at some small level. CDs were so huge as a format that i think they will survive. But really who knows
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 4:37pm
Second hand CDs rock. I've never had a truly fucked one yet, although I have got a bootleg live Slayer album which won't play all the way through, but I bought that new. Serves me right for buying a bootleg!
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 4:44pm
cds are lossless unlike basically any other physical medium for music, so they will always sell for that reason

most cars still come with cd players
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 5:13pm
Interesting replies guys. I think you'll always be able to buy a Cd player, even if sales dropped significantly lower than at present, the same way you could still buy a record deck when vinyl sales were at rock bottom.

They'll always be people who want a hard copy I think and not everyone will want vinyl. I like it, even though some of these current releases have 4 shortish sides to make a double album which is a bit inconvenient. At least with a Cd you can have an hour or so of uninterupted music with good sound quality.
martindavey87 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Error & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martindavey87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 12:01pm
CD players aren't being made anymore???
martindavey87 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Error & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martindavey87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 12:02pm
I still buy CD's. It's a bit daft, but I have around 2,400 and so am a "collector". With that said, I get one, listen to it, burn it to my harddrive, and then never listen to it again. It's pointless, but I have OCD about collecting stuff so whatever. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Not around here they don't. 

Only got a USB port in our new car. Pain in the arse to get prepped for. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 2:08pm
I have a nice little radio in my room that I bought this year that is now my main CD player. It actually has a tape deck too, not that I have any tapes aside from an old Jasper Carrot comedy one that I think came free with something my parents bought donkeys years ago. I also have my old Sony Walkman but I don't use that so much since I got the radio. Before the new car most of my CD's were played that way. I used the digital copies on my PC a lot for random playing as well, but I expect because of the new car most of my listening will be digital based now. Won't stop be adding more CD's to my collection though. 

I'm a big fan of the CD (I guess I came along a bit too late to have any real appreciation for vinyl - I own one Foo Fighters 7" which I've never actually listened to). I don't consider them dead yet despite mainstream efforts to hammer the final nail in the coffin. Real music fans will always have an appreciation for physical media (not saying that anyone who does go digital only isn't a real music fan, so read on before you explode at me). The trouble is people who listen exclusively to mainstream music IMO are not music fans, but trend followers. The sort of people who rave about whoever is in the charts at that moment being oh so good but has forgotten all about them five minutes later when the next five minute famer comes along. You can see the evidence of this if you look through the CD's in any second hand shop. So based on that it is no wonder why the major labels are trying to kill the CD. Metal labels though I think will continue to support them. Vinyl too. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Not around here they don't. 

Only got a USB port in our new car. Pain in the arse to get prepped for. 

Same here, so does my work car. Had to transfer some music to an MP3 player especially for the car. Don't know if I have a dodgy cable but half the time I go over the bump in the road it switches back to the radio and I lose my connection. It's a right pain in the arse, give me a Cd player any day!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 2:15pm
Not tried my mp3 in the new car, but the USB actually works a treat (no cable required). It's just loading the damn thing that's a pain. 
GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 2:29pm
CD's? Make a comeback? Have they gone somewhere?
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 5:37am
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

CD's? Make a comeback? Have they gone somewhere?

They're still around of course but sales have been in decline for quite a few years now. It'll be interesting to see where they bottom out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic