Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands/artists that shaped your music taste

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bands/artists that shaped your music taste
    Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 11:07am
Musicians that had the biggest influence over how I perceive music and what bands I listen to today.

CHILDHOOD HEROES:

Björk - My mother's a fan and Björk was the first musician to ever move me. Still a fan.

Led Zeppelin - a very similar situation - Zeps taught me about eclecticism in rock, taught me to appreciate the sound of overdrive and heavy metal drumming :)

Marek Grechuta - It's a Polish singer, poet and musician, immensely popular in the 70s and 80s in Poland. He's often listed as a prog rock musician, but I prefer to think of him as a singing poet. I listened to him my entire childhood and have some fond memories triggered by his music.

Czesław Niemen (another Polish multi-instrumentalist, bold composer and amazing vocalist. Probably the most popular avant rock musician of the 70s and 80s in Poland. This song had a profound impact on me: 

ADOLESCENCE HEROES:

Opeth - I was fifteen when I discovered Opeth and for many years it was my favourite band. Even though I'm not a biggest fan of their last three albums, Opeth is still one of the most influential bands in my life... and in all extreme metal, for that matter :)

Tool (yep, Tool. Given how influential the band used to be, it's no wonder it had a huge influence over personal tastes of thousands of music lovers, myself included. And AEnima introduced me to Bill Hicks ;d)

Decapitated/Cryptopsy (with Lord Worm) - First death metal bands I really appreciated, showed me that death metal can be cool and push the envelope in its own unique way, too.

Edited by bartosso - 17 Oct 2015 at 11:12am
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 11:40am
I listened to a lot of bands growing up, as my parents listened to a lot of music. These are probably the bands that shaped my music tastes the most though:

AC/DC - A band I've listened to all my life, and still one of my favorite heavy rock bands. 

Helstar - The first band I discovered on my own, and who knew they would become one of my favorite bands. Shaped my love of US Power metal, and enhanced my love of thrash.

Opeth - I haven't listened to Opeth in quite a while, but they were the band that made me love death metal.

Anthrax - When my mother played 'Spreading the Disease' for me when I was young, I felt like my flesh was shredded from my skull. I had never heard such speed before, and 'Gung-Ho' got me headbanging every time. Anthrax is still one of my favorite bands, and the band that made me love thrash.

Rush - One of my old friends gave me a mix CD of Rush songs, and after listening to it I had gotten into music. Rush is the band that made me the music lover I am today, and also got me into more complex music as well.

Primus - When I first heard Primus, I started laughing. It was then when I knew rock music had no strict rules, and a band could be as silly and weird as they want and still be fantastic.

Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk made me enjoy a whole new genre of music I never heard before. Also, 'Minimum-Maximum' is still the best live album I've ever heard.

Edited by Unitron - 23 Dec 2016 at 2:16am
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Wyvern_13 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wyvern_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2015 at 1:43pm
Hmm. Lots of candidates there and in many different ways. 

Rammstein definitely belong there. It was the first band I started listening to as opposed to just going for whatever was on the radio at the time.

System of a Down are on there as well. From Rammstein I started listening to various Hard Rock and Nu Metal stuff and SoaD quickly became a favorite of mine. To this day I'd credit Serj Tankian for igniting my love of singing.

Iron Maiden were a band I didnt really like at first (shocking, I know) but once they started growing on me they quickly outranked all others as my number 1 favorite. As a band and as people they definitely influenced me greatly.

In Flames were the first more extreme Metal band I got into and to this day I love most of their output and I'd say Melodic Death Metal is probably my most consistently favorite genre so they definitely had a large influence on my musical tastes.

Scar Symmetry had less to do with my taste in music and more to do with my aspirations as a vocalist. I heard the song Morphogenesis and I was immediately in love with Christian Alvestam's vocals.

Acid Bath spoke to me in some way that I still cant quite explain but it left a very palpable mark on me and my taste in music. Heavy, melodic and very diverse in their approach to music. Whenever I have to name favorites these guys rank very high on my list. It saddens me greatly that I'll never get to see them live.

Devin Townsend. I loved Strapping Young Lad when I first discovered them and although it took a while once I really got into his other stuff it became more and more clear that this was a man who's musical ventures really spoke to me. He doesnt conform to what anyone else thinks his creation should be, he just does whatever he wants to do and he stands by his output. An incredibly interesting man and musician.

There's more but I cant be bothered to talk about them all right now so I'll just list some "honorary mentions".

Iced Earth
Blind Guardian
Naglfar
Bloodbath
John Williams
J-Pop/J-Rock in general
Þessi undirskrift kemur málinu bara alls ekkert við!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic