MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal Up Your Ass and all that Jazz Room V2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 309310311312313 327>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 2:57pm
It was the numbers... Basically, when the zeros ticked over it was near enough.Wink It's humans liking patterns.

I remember reading a humorous article around the turn of the millennium written by an engineer who calculated that with all the calendar readjustments and realignments over the centuries, the uncertainty of when the calendar should have started and various other things, that the turn of the third millennium was some time in October 1996 and we'd all missed it.LOL

And according to the Hebrew Calendar, today is 1 Adar, 5781, according to the Hindu calendar it's either 2077 or 1942 depending on which one you use, and using various Chinese calendars, it's 4718 or 4719, 4177, 2862, 2572, or 2242.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 3:14pm
That's the kind of thing I know (now, anyway, didn't for years) yet always manage to forget. I guess if you hear something enough times, you do start believing it. We celebrated the turn of the millennium 1999/2000 like most. I guess 2000 just looks better to modern eyes than 2001. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 12:30pm
UK Covid cases under 100K for the last seven days for the first time in who knows how long.

Still a long way to go but things are starting to look up for us. Weekly death total finally dropping too. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 12:19am
And community COVID back in New Zealand again. We can still go out and do stuff here in the South Island, but we're going to have to prepare for lockdown anyway, in case it gets here again.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 9:07am
First day for who knows how long that our daily cases are under 10K. Start of the week is always lower and we will almost certainly have days above 10K again this week, but this feels like a milestone. Weekly death total is also in decline. We are beating it back. And Johnston seems to finally be taking it seriously to avoid reopening too soon. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 9:19am
I think he wants to avoid a 4th lockdown at all costs so will take it carefully on re-opening stuff if he's got any sense. Hopefully get a bit more clarity on the 22nd.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 2:16pm
Finally got a vape so no more nasty snuff/chewing tobacco for me. Woot!
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 8:40pm
It's been a bit of a mad arsed day today. Overnight, there were three big fucking earthquakes out in the Pacific - a 7.1, a 7.4, and an 8.1! We've been on tsunami alert for much of the day. We are in what's called the orange zone (not as close to the sea as the red zone). We're 6 km from the coast, but we're only 400 m from a coastal lake (it used to be an estuary but now has to be physically dug open to the sea), and 10 metres above sea level.

Anyway, I didn't feel any of the quakes because we're on a silty soil which acts like a shock absorber. One of my workmates lives in the caldera of an extinct volcano, which is solid rock, and the first quake woke him up and scared him shitless (he's originally from Scotland - not used to quakes like us natives).

Several areas of the North Island were evacuated as a tsunami precaution, and most people were quite sensible about it. However, some dickheads went out surfing or kayaking or even swimming with their kids at the beach. Just plain dumb.

Here's a video of one of the tsunami waves surging into a marina. Sorry, I can't find anything on YouTube, so it's a Reddit link.

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 2:07am
Bloody hell. We get the odd rumble, especially when they were fracking rocks up the coast, but are pretty geologically dead. Hope everyone is okay.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 3:47am
Some people are just thick as pigshit (we have many of them in the UK). Hope all is okay for you guys.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 1:59pm
Yeah, we're all good. It didn't come to much, but after the tsunamis in the Indian Ocean in 2004 and Japan in 2011, it's better to be safe than sorry. These alerts go out really quickly now, within a few minutes of a major quake anywhere.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 9:09am
Highest UK cases numbers today for almost two weeks. Schools not even back one. Oh boy. 
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

It's been a bit of a mad arsed day today. Overnight, there were three big fucking earthquakes out in the Pacific - a 7.1, a 7.4, and an 8.1! We've been on tsunami alert for much of the day. We are in what's called the orange zone (not as close to the sea as the red zone). We're 6 km from the coast, but we're only 400 m from a coastal lake (it used to be an estuary but now has to be physically dug open to the sea), and 10 metres above sea level.

Anyway, I didn't feel any of the quakes because we're on a silty soil which acts like a shock absorber. One of my workmates lives in the caldera of an extinct volcano, which is solid rock, and the first quake woke him up and scared him shitless (he's originally from Scotland - not used to quakes like us natives).

Several areas of the North Island were evacuated as a tsunami precaution, and most people were quite sensible about it. However, some dickheads went out surfing or kayaking or even swimming with their kids at the beach. Just plain dumb.

Here's a video of one of the tsunami waves surging into a marina. Sorry, I can't find anything on YouTube, so it's a Reddit link.

If it weren't for the fact they had kids w/ them I'd say let them do it.
BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

Good on you. Try to stick with it for as long as possible. I've been on and off vaporisers for about 7 years and always end up back on the cigarettes for a months at a time after saying "I'll just have one" but its now 4 months since my last.

Cessation is incredibly hard.
Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Highest UK cases numbers today for almost two weeks. Schools not even back one. Oh boy. 

Being a driving instructor I haven't been allowed to work since Xmas. We're expecting to go back on 12th April subject to the government review on the 5th. If cases go up again, which is very likely with schools going back this week, we may get delayed which I won't be happy about. Some days I wonder if we'll ever get out of this, even with the vacine.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by BitterJalapeno BitterJalapeno wrote:

Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

Good on you. Try to stick with it for as long as possible. I've been on and off vaporisers for about 7 years and always end up back on the cigarettes for a months at a time after saying "I'll just have one" but its now 4 months since my last.

Cessation is incredibly hard.

I´ve smoked on and off for most of my adult life. I haven´t had a smoke since november 2019 though, so that´s something.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

[QUOTE=adg211288]Some days I wonder if we'll ever get out of this, even with the vacine.

Honestly I think the best outcome we can reasonably hope for is that we'll talk about 'seasonal covid' same way as we do seasonal flu eventually.
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 2:54pm
^ I think you're probably right. The day will come where we just won't consider locking down again. People are breaking the rules more and more because they've had enough and it'll only increase to the point where lockdowns will become a waste of time.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 3:26pm
I don't see that happening for some time though. What the rule breakers are too dumb to realise is that they are the ones prolonging the need for lockdowns in the first place. 

I'm really riled up with the rule breakers lately. So much casual stupidity going on around here and on a daily basis. First bit of sunshine we get and everyone's flocking out and flouting lockdown. Local park is now being patrolled by police (making their presence felt in the town for the first time in years) because of illegal gatherings taking place in public both in broad daylight and after hours when the park is locked up. 

I actually look forward to the shitty days now because that means the twits will (hopefully) stay indoors. Except the recent snow, because that made everyone with kids just go out trying to sledge in a nice cold virus friendly environment. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 10:04am
UK covid case curve going the wrong way again as of today. Ouch
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 309310311312313 327>
  Share Topic