MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal Up Your Ass and all that Jazz Room V2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 302303304305306 328>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 1:05am
I find it rather telling overall how quickly cases started to surge again as soon as Lockdown 2.0 was lifted at the start of the month. The country's response since the start as been make a little progress then watch it all get undone again. 

Given that they've decided to not rethink Christmas rules I can see a bleak January ahead. 

I keep seeing reports that the bulk of new cases are in schools and I find that believable because I live of the walking route for two schools (my old primary and secondary) and most of the kids seem pretty oblivious to the pandemic. Maybe three who regularly come by my place that keep their mask on outside of the grounds. One of the primary school's in Halstead is completely closed due to Covid although I don't know how many cases that amounts to on the map and doesn't explain the outlaying grids that are also in the purple.  

Makes me wonder why they don't vaccinate the schools early. I get that they're aiming for the more vulnerable, but surely curbing the spread and trying to stamp the virus out is a more effective strategy? It's clear by this point that they're not going to order schools closed again despite evidence to suggest the necessity of it. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 9:51am
Tier 4 from tomorrow.

Getting mixed messages from the live stream on whether we're allowed to leave Tier 4 for anything. If we're not these restrictions will actually make this more dangerous for my family as our main shop/click and collection is over the border in Suffolk. And we can't change to another store in time for Christmas. Our Christmas order is due to be collected on Monday. 
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 12:00pm
Us too. I don't know whether to feel alarmed or glad that the government are jumping onto this a lot quicker than they have been. 

We were not planning to mix at Christmas anyway. We decided it was not worth the added risk. We will Zoom call and have a virtual Christmas toast with each other. 

Let's just hope the vaccine remains effective for the new strain. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 2:30pm
I am more stressed tonight than I have been for the entire pandemic. 

It seems very likely that the new rules mean that we will not be able to cross the Tier border even a little distance to pick up a click and collect order from Tesco. 

All our Christmas food is due for pick-up on Monday a few miles from the Tier 4 border. Picking it up would be of much lower risk than being forced to shop in person in my town right now. 

I thought restrictions were suppose to protect, not put more in danger?
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 4:47pm
I think it'll only be a matter of time before we're in Tier 4 up here as well. 

All this change to the Christmas restrictions has been announced so late there's going to be so many people ignoring them. Makes no difference to our plans. We're not going anywhere or having anyone round our house.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 4:27am
It depends on if this new strain can be contained I think. That's the big worry. It's supposed to be at least 50% more contagious than what we've been facing all year. 

Given behaviour of Londoners last night fleeing the capital I suspect it's all the way across the country by now. 

I understand the need for saying not to cross the tier border but it doesn't help my family's situation with all our Christmas food all booked to pick up tomorrow about a 20 minute drive from home and not actually going into any shops. 

How is collecting food not on the list of essential exemptions for travel outside of Tier 4? But you can mix with another household if they're already in your existing bubble? I can guarantee that going to a Tesco click and collect will pose less risk of cross border spread than someone going to work outside of Tier 4 all day. 

Our government are as mental and hair-brained as always, but this is the first time they've directly threatened the personal safety of my family. With the new strain in our area this is the most critical time of the whole pandemic so far for us, and it's feeling like after following the rules this whole time that we've suddenly been thrown under the bus. 
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 6:16am
So I've got a question for you guys: is vinyl REALLY that great? It just seems like a fad to me..
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 6:30am
^ That sounds like a thread worthy discussion to me. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 8:23am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

It depends on if this new strain can be contained I think. That's the big worry. It's supposed to be at least 50% more contagious than what we've been facing all year. 

Given behaviour of Londoners last night fleeing the capital I suspect it's all the way across the country by now. 

I understand the need for saying not to cross the tier border but it doesn't help my family's situation with all our Christmas food all booked to pick up tomorrow about a 20 minute drive from home and not actually going into any shops. 

How is collecting food not on the list of essential exemptions for travel outside of Tier 4? But you can mix with another household if they're already in your existing bubble? I can guarantee that going to a Tesco click and collect will pose less risk of cross border spread than someone going to work outside of Tier 4 all day. 

Our government are as mental and hair-brained as always, but this is the first time they've directly threatened the personal safety of my family. With the new strain in our area this is the most critical time of the whole pandemic so far for us, and it's feeling like after following the rules this whole time that we've suddenly been thrown under the bus. 

I'd just go and get your order Adam. Groceries are essential after all. 
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

So I've got a question for you guys: is vinyl REALLY that great? It just seems like a fad to me..

Yes, as Adam suggested I'd start a thread on this. A good topic of discussion.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Short of them putting a road block in every way in and out of tier 4 what are they going to do?

Even if you were stopped by the police, I can't see anyone with even half a brain not realising that you're taking precautions and it is safer to do what you're doing. 

Personally I think they need to immediately roll out mass testing in areas they think this new strain is in. Or maybe prioritise getting the vaccine to everyone in those areas and seeing what happens. We don't even know if it works on the new version yet or even how effective on the previous it is going to be en masse. 

Too many unknowns and it's really giving me a headache. 

I still believe I had the fucking thing in the early days when they weren't well organised and it wasn't easy to get a test booked (I never was tested, I only base my belief on it by how ill I was: definitely not just the flu or a cold like some people still seem to think). But I'm still worried sick for my family. My Dad is getting on now and my grandmother is still around too having survived this so far under the care of my aunt, who had walking on eggshells.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

I like it.  It's great for listening with friends (time limit & experience of flipping records, choosing what to listen to next, can't skip songs like an ADHD child) and your hardware can color the tone in a way that digital has no real equivalent.  Even the blemishes and scratches sound good.

I wouldn't call it a fad, I use my dad's record player from the 70s and many many bands have been putting out new albums on vinyl consistently for over a decade now.  Most new vinyl is a heavier print so the bass can be deeper and they sound phenomenal on a nice stereo

Most current receivers don't have the required eq-balanced input for a record player though, I had to get an external preamp

n.b. I buy most of my music digitally still

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 20 Dec 2020 at 9:23am
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Short of them putting a road block in every way in and out of tier 4 what are they going to do?

Even if you were stopped by the police, I can't see anyone with even half a brain not realising that you're taking precautions and it is safer to do what you're doing. 

Personally I think they need to immediately roll out mass testing in areas they think this new strain is in. Or maybe prioritise getting the vaccine to everyone in those areas and seeing what happens. We don't even know if it works on the new version yet or even how effective on the previous it is going to be en masse. 

Too many unknowns and it's really giving me a headache. 

I still believe I had the fucking thing in the early days when they weren't well organised and it wasn't easy to get a test booked (I never was tested, I only base my belief on it by how ill I was: definitely not just the flu or a cold like some people still seem to think). But I'm still worried sick for my family. My Dad is getting on now and my grandmother is still around too having survived this so far under the care of my aunt, who had walking on eggshells.

Count yourselves all lucky you're not down with it for Christmas.

We are. Everyone in my immediate family.

I am the 'lucky one' as I am currently without any symptoms.

My parents have spent the last two days in bed. Fortunately it doesn't look like their cases will progress to having to go to hospital, but we are taking it one day at a time.

This is all down to my bloody brother sneaking out of the house to attend an illegal get together, for which some arsehole who was waiting for a Covid test result decided to attend anyway because he 'wasn't sick'. We've all been being careful all year despite all feeling the desire at one point or another to throw caution to the wind.

He gave it to my brother (and who knows how many more), who proceeded to give it to the whole household. My brother has very mild symptoms.

He knows he is in the fucking doghouse.

I am basically in charge of the house right now but not allowed out and am relying on the kindness of neighbours to drop things off we need on the doorstep.

We are in Tier 4 so we could well be infected with the new strain.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 3:57pm
Sorry to hear that Ashley, hope you're all okay. Bet you feel like murdering your Brother at the moment. Just goes to show how easy this can take hold. I think we need a national lockdown now, not fucking around with Tiers.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 4:13pm
That's terrible Ashley. Shocked

Please keep checking in here so we know you're okay. While none of us know each other in real life I'm sure I'm not the only one here who thinks about our community during this difficult time and hope everyone is managing.

And I agree Paul, national lockdown is needed more than ever and not one they just switch off again. This new more contagious strain of Covid may not have taken hold of so much of the country so fast if Lockdown 2.0 hadn't been set back to tiers at the start of the month. 

Unfortunately everything is going to get worse as France has just blocked all freight going in and out of the UK, which could leave us with food and vaccine shortage. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 5:40pm
Sorry to hear that Ashley. 

And my thoughts are with all of you having to deal with COVID this Christmas. I've never been so grateful to live in New Zealand. So often I have cursed it for being so backward and boring and far from the rest of the world, but this year it's been such a blessing. Any minor inconvenience we have encountered is nothing compared to what the rest of you have had to endure. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 12:05am
I wonder how much Macron's 48 hour border closure has to do with Brexit and the fact he wants our fishing rights. 
GG2U

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 12:58am
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

Count yourselves all lucky you're not down with it for Christmas.

We are. Everyone in my immediate family.

I am the 'lucky one' as I am currently without any symptoms.

My parents have spent the last two days in bed. Fortunately it doesn't look like their cases will progress to having to go to hospital, but we are taking it one day at a time.

This is all down to my bloody brother sneaking out of the house to attend an illegal get together, for which some arsehole who was waiting for a Covid test result decided to attend anyway because he 'wasn't sick'. We've all been being careful all year despite all feeling the desire at one point or another to throw caution to the wind.

He gave it to my brother (and who knows how many more), who proceeded to give it to the whole household. My brother has very mild symptoms.

He knows he is in the fucking doghouse.

I am basically in charge of the house right now but not allowed out and am relying on the kindness of neighbours to drop things off we need on the doorstep.

We are in Tier 4 so we could well be infected with the new strain.

So sorry to hear this Ashley. Unfortunately this echoes other stories I've heard. One rash decision is all it takes. 

Just remember that as angry as you all must be at your brother, that this is something that's going to weigh heavily on him and will be a crucial learning experience for him. So stray strong and try to forgive him. Family is even more important now than ever. Even when they do something stupid. 
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 1:06am

I wonder how much Macron's 48 hour border closure has to do with Brexit and the fact he wants our fishing rights. 

Bloody Brexit couldn't be coming at a worse time.

I hope the Leave crowd are happy now. 

I can understand Macron wanting to stop the new strain getting into his country (but it's already in Europe) and I've thought all along that travel except for freight should have been stopped all year, but even a 48 hour ban is worrying. Boris may well have to make serious concessions to get everything moving again. If that's Macron's intent. If it is he'll go down in history as the man who blackmailed the UK in a time of crisis. 
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 9:48am
Thanks all for the well wishes. I think everyone is slightly improved today and we may yet get a reasonable Christmas day.

And that's good advice Nicole. Unfortunately it's not that easy. We had a rather heated argument last night, my brother and I. I actually thought my Dad was going to get out of bed and knock both our heads together. We were fighting because he admitted to me why he went out to that gathering: he was told that the girl he liked was there and some other guy kept texting him about all the things he was going to do to her when they hooked up while my brother stayed at home like a 'good little boy'. Goading him in other words.

I can understand him here to be honest with you all. He snapped and went out. This was his breaking point. But I was angry with him because that girl wasn't even there. Never was. Just a bunch of prats who didn't give a shit about the pandemic who thought it was hilarious to do that to my brother, knowing full well how much he liked this girl. But the reason my brother and I started fighting was that at that point he should have just left. He didn't. He bowed to their peer pressure and stayed. You know the result.

Did I overreact to this do you think? We've all been on edge not knowing what's going to happen. Sometimes you just want to scream. To want the nightmare to be over. To take it out on someone.

I'm optomistic about the vaccine rollout but they can only move so fast and the spread here is so bad now that the whole country's situation inevitably has to get worse before it gets better and I am really concerned about what further damage Christmas day mixing is going to do to those in lower tiers. I really do think we need to at this point say sod the ecomony, put the whole country on permenant lockdown and get everyone vaccinated. Then maybe we can get our ecomony revived from a position of strength.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 302303304305306 328>
  Share Topic