MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal Up Your Ass and all that Jazz Room V2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 272273274275276 328>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

It seems an opening has come so that I may be able to attend this otherwise sold out concert: http://pumpehuset.dk/koncerter/symphony-x/ on Friday.

Symphony X, Myrath, Melted Space.

Great concert, although I got a bit too drunk to remember much...oh well that´s how it goes sometimes Embarrassed

I happened to meet the Danish guy who does live sound for At the Gates and The Haunted. Some of the Guys I was with knew him and we had a Little talk. Apparently Anders Bjørler is a perfectionist.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 1:44pm

It seems an opening has come so that I may be able to attend this otherwise sold out concert: http://pumpehuset.dk/koncerter/symphony-x/ on Friday.

Great concert, although I got a bit too drunk to remember much...oh well that´s how it goes sometimes Embarrassed

Going to have to catch Symphony X one of these days, one of my favourite bands.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 2:12am
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 2:16am
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Going to have to catch Symphony X one of these days, one of my favourite bands.
They certainly deliver live. A well playing band and Allen is a great singer and stage personality.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 10:42am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Love this: https://www.facebook.com/animatedcovers/

Yeah, those really bring some great album covers to life. I especially love the Alice in Hell one.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 12:35am
Was practicing E minor chords on bass earlier, and unintentionally played part of Metallica's Damage Inc. Big smile
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 4:36pm
Just came home from seing the Melvins. Damn it was a great show. I like the Melvins, but not enough to know that many specific songs, and I didn´t recognise a single song during the show, but it was still great. Says a lot about a band that they are able to greatly entertain even casual fans. They are without a doubt one of the greatest live acts I´ve ever seen. I saw them a few years back (with the Big Business lineup), and they kicked so much ass at that show too, so this is a band who deliveres every time.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 4:49pm
Love to see them. They've quite a discography to choose from I guess!

Just got tickets to the Leeds festival, just for the Sunday - Mastodon, Dillinger Escape Plan and Kvelertak. Can't wait.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 1:25am
Oh, and AC/DC with Axel tonight!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:00am
^That should be interesting. I´ll be interested to hear what you think of it.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:04am
^^I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts about it as well.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 8:06am
I´ve actually got a few gigs lined up for the rest of the year already:

First off the Copenhell Festival in a couple of weeks: http://copenhell.dk/
Then Dying Fetus + Black Dahlia Murder + Goatwhore + Ghost Bath in August: https://www.billetlugen.dk/da/event/dying-fetus-black-dahlia-murder-goatwhore-ghost-bath/billetter
Then Obituary, Exodus, Prong in November
and the day after that show Opeth in the Danish Radio/Television house for a sit Down concert.

Not bad.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 1:15am
Well AC/DC was a surprise. Sounding somewhere between Bon and Brian, Axel played it straight as lead singer of the band rather than some celebrity guest vocalist. No G&R references or attempts to reinterpret the back catalogue. Spent two hours with a leg brace on trying to dance around and didn't miss a note. Hugely impressed by his and the band's performance. This was no tribute or karaoke act.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 1:36pm
Went to see this gig last night - The Black Dahlia Murder, Dying Fetus, Goatwhore, and Ghost Bath.

I missed Ghost Bath, but a friend of mine said he hated it, so I´m not sure I missed anything. Goatwhore was alright. Decent playing and a strong vocalist, who changed his vocals from death to Black metal styled vocals throughout what I saw of the set (which admittedly wasn´t that much).

Dying Fetus crushed the venue. Damn those brutal grooves just Work perfect in a live setting. On album I´ve always found them a bit boring and one-dimensional, but I had a great time seing them live (my Brother loved them too).

The Black Dahlia Murder were tight playing, professional and quite humourous too, which is how I also remember them from seing them last time. Great show too.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 3:52pm
RIP Roye Alrbighon of Nektar, he died in July yet still quite a shocker
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 6:22pm
Oh fuck Toby Driver added fragments of my review to Kayo Dot's bandcamp

Edited by bartosso - 26 Aug 2016 at 6:22pm
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 4:53am
^ Congrats.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 6:50am
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

^ Congrats.

Thanks!! 
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 10:21am
^And a congrats from me as well, I know the feeling when a band/artist shares a review of mine. Clap
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 8:38am
Back from the Leeds festival with mixed feelings. Some of the music was fantastic. The conditions though were disgusting (think I'm getting too old even for a one-day festival ticket - thank God I decided not to camp) with half-a-foot or more deep stinky clay mud covering the site making it nigh on impossible to get from one stage to another in enough time to see anyone. Also the turn out at The Pit (heavy stage) stage was pitiful. You could see on the faces of some of the acts like Mastodon they were far from impressed dragging themselves half way across the world to play in front of 100 pissed metalheads and punks, many of who had to leave early to make the hours journey across swamp to find their cars or coaches while in the background you could hear the funk rock of RHCP playing to several thousand people, few of whom could actually see them.

Of the few bands I got to see, Skindred were good fun as always. Benji Webbe is a great live front-man, delivering his reggae metal with style.

After catching a myriad of samey shitty alt rock bands (including Blossoms who are never off rock radio at the moment but were boring unless you were a teenage girl who likes a pretty face) I came across grungy punk band Milk Teeth. Excellent show and a shame we don't capture heavy punk bands here as they'd be a good fit.

Next up was Giraffe Tongue Orchestra, a supergroup formed by
Dillinger Escape Plan songwriter/guitarist Ben Weinman, Mastodon guitarist Brent Hinds, Alice in Chains vocalist William Duvall, Dethklok bassist Pete Griffin, and drummer of the Mars Volta, Thomas Pridgen. Their debut album is due out. I'll add them but it's not clear where I'd place them. I've seen them tagged as alt metal and mathcore, and from the show I'd say sludgy progressive mathcore is close. But they  also do incorporate alternative metal, hard rock, prog rock and even a dash of funk. Perhaps I'll need to give the album a listen first.

Kvelertak were excellent. Not much to say. A wall of note-perfect sound and a great show.

Dillinger Escape Plan were completely brutal in a very slick way. The performance was top drawer and about the most energetic performance I've ever witnessed. Their brand of  mathcore might draw a big audience normally but at an indie rock festival it was far too difficult for many in the audience to get their heads around it and there were plenty of bemused faces in the crowd who instead focussed on the moshing rather then the music. The disappointment at the lack of punters though was obvious on the band's faces.

Mastodon too looked underwhelmed by the turn-out but delivered the most polished performance of the day, really sludging things up on the night.

Some great bands but I think I'll be sticking to metal and hard rock gigs in future rather than these generic catch-alls, which don't work. And next time I'm going in a pair of waders.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 272273274275276 328>
  Share Topic