Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Former AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd sentenced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Former AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd sentenced
    Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 1:16am
This is big news here in New Zealand at the moment.

Former AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd sentenced to home detention

As the judge dressed Phil Rudd down, perhaps the most stinging rebuke was that the former AC/DC drummer's playing wasn't anything special.

Rudd was sentenced in the Tauranga District Court on Thursday to eight months home detention on drugs and threatening to kill charges.

Rudd appeared in front of Judge Thomas Ingram for sentencing after pleading guilty to possession of cannabis and methamphetamine and one charge of threatening to kill. He has been on bail the whole time.

Phil Rudd was sentenced to home detention at the Tauranga District Court.

The judge warned Rudd he would go to prison if he breached the terms of his sentence.

"I stone cold guarantee that's where you'll end up. I'm not your headmaster, I'm not your father, I'm a judge."

He said Rudd would be monitored 24 hours a day during his home detention, to be served at his waterfront Tauranga mansion.

"There is simply no place to hide"

Earlier, the court was told Rudd's actions were the result of methamphetamine psychosis and he was addicted to the drug.

Affidavits to the court said Rudd would lose tens of millions of dollars if he was convicted because he couldn't tour to certain countries with AC/DC.

Judge Ingram said there was no evidence he had an offer from the band and he was not convinced that Rudd's drumming was integral to the AC/DC sound.

"Queen replaced Freddie Mercury," he said.

RUDD'S OFFENDING

It was revealed in November last year that Rudd had been arrested and charged with drugs offences and attempting to procure a murder, a charge that was dropped 24 hours later.

In April, when Rudd pleaded guilty to possessing drugs and threatening to kill, the court heard he'd made a call to an associate asking him to "take out" a former security guard turned personal assistant after becoming angry when his solo album launch in August last year flopped.

He fired a number of employees, including his victim.

On September 25 at 8.12pm Rudd phoned an associate in Australia saying he wanted the victim "taken out", and "taken care of because they were a bunch of f***en c****.

Rudd then offered the associate $200,000, one of his cars, a motorbike or a house, which the associate believed was payment for the request.

The next day at 8.27am, Rudd called the victim and asked if he was "on today", the victim said yes at which point Rudd said "I'm going to come over and kill you".

Rudd made two further calls to the same victim, who hung up after realising it was Rudd.

Police then obtained a warrant to search Rudd's Bureta home in Tauranga on November 6.

When police arrived Rudd was in the lounge and attempted to conceal a container of crumbs, which after testing was found to be 6gms of cannabis.

Rudd then pulled out a bag of cannabis from the couch, the court was told.

ESR testing found the bag contained a further 20.2gms of cannabis.

When police arrived at the home Rudd was wearing jeans and no shirt. In his front jeans pocket police discovered a white powder, which turned out to be 0.273gms of methamphetamine.

Police searched the home where they found 0.205g of methamphetamine in the master bedroom, 47.2gms of cannabis in the hallway cupboard, and a further 17.9gms of cannabis in the pool room bedroom.

A total of 0.478gms of methamphetamine and 91gms of cannabis was found.

ADRIFT FROM THE BAND

Previously Rudd has said he's seen the error of his ways and wished he was touring with AC/DC again.

Rudd told an Australian TV station in May his former bandmates, including guitarist Angus Young, weren't talking to him.

"They haven't called me. I wrote them a letter and I tried to get in touch with Angus but I've had no contact from anybody," Rudd told A Current Affair. "I'm very disappointed, but that's life."

Rudd said he was "fit and ready to go" and wished he was touring with AC/DC.

"I've seen the error of my ways and it's onward and upward from here." 

Angus Young said last year that Rudd was not himself and needed help.

Last year, Rudd was ordered to pay more than $72,000 after kicking a door in and sacking workers during a tantrum at his restaurant, Phil's Place.

AC/DC are due to play concerts in Wellington and Auckland in December, the last gigs of a world tour.

In further developments:
It was reported Rudd swore at reporters as he left court, so he's not all bad.Smile

Rudd's lawyer has appealed the sentence now saying it's too harsh.

Heard the judge on the radio, and he gave Phil Rudd a real telling off. It sounded like a ranting school teacher.

One of Rudd's neighbours also contacted the radio station and reckoned home detention was a pretty harsh sentence for his neighbours. Apparently he has a habit of sitting on his deck half pissed and abuses passers-by.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 2:54am
He sounds like a real piece of Work that Rudd guy. Abusive and half psychotic on meth. He sure sets a good example for his fans Ermm.

Although the amount of drugs weren´t that high, and I personally don´t consider cannabis to be drugs, his sentence is actually pretty low IMO. Threatening to kill is a pretty serious charge, that would result in jail in most countries. And in this case there´s even evidence that he was in the formative stages of hiring to kill, which is an even more serious offense. I think he should bow and say thank you to the judge for the 8 months he now has to stay in his home.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 3:00am
And you should see his home. Tauranga where he lives is one of the more exclusive parts of NZ.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 3:06am
Yeah, I was amazed at the leniency of his sentence. It seemed his threats of violence were credible. He'd be behind bars for conspiracy to commit murder in the UK, and probably rightly so.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 10:14am
I wonder what drove him to want to kill somebody, the drugs or something else?
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 10:16am
They say meth fries the brain, so it was probably the drugs that turned on the abusive behaviour.

Definitely not the cannabis...

Edited by UMUR - 09 Jul 2015 at 11:49am
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Taking AC/DC lyrics too seriously
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Taking AC/DC lyrics too seriously

Dirty deeds sure were done dirt cheap this time.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 4:26pm
I'd conside myself getting off ligtly if I was him. As he'll have a lot of free time maybe he could come here and help us get some band profiles up to date! 
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 4:30pm
^ yeah it´s not like he´s going to leave his home for a while, and it´ll be like rehab to him.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 4:39pm
^ Exactly! LOL
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 7:55pm

The reasons seem to be because his solo album had done very badly, and he blamed someone else for it, the person he was trying to get the hit organised on. That and the excess of drugs he'd been doing adding to his paranoid delusions.
powermetal2000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powermetal2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 2:16pm
Having to stay in your own mansion for 8 months is considered a punishment now?
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 1:50am
Originally posted by powermetal2000 powermetal2000 wrote:

Having to stay in your own mansion for 8 months is considered a punishment now?

No booze allowed, there's restrictions on who can visit ya, and best of all, it costs a fraction of what it would to lock him up.Smile
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 1:02am
Former AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd has been arrested again and is tonight behind bars.

Details on the one-time rocker's latest alleged misdemeanour and the charges he is facing remain sketchy, but it is understood police arrested the 61-year-old at his home in Tauranga on Saturday night.

According to reports, prostitutes were at his house at the time of the arrest.

Rudd's lawyer Craig Tuck was saying little when contacted by Fairfax Media last night.

All I can say is he has been arrested and will be appearing on Monday at 10am in the Tauranga District Court. That's all I can say for now and that's all I am telling everyone who is calling," Tuck said.

The arrest comes just over a week after Rudd was sentenced to eight months' home detention, after he admitted charges of threatening to kill an employee, and for methamphetamine and cannabis found in his home in a police raid in 2014.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 4:15am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 6:14am
Just so everyone knows, prostitution is legal in New Zealand, it's just probably one of those things which is against home detention restrictions.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 8:55am
Just wait...wanna bet he has drugs or alcohol in his blood?
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 4:44pm
Probably. He's due in court in about 15 minutes.
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 2:36am
He's a fucking fool, he was given an easy sentence and he goes and does this.  I believe he thinks he's above the law and untouchable because he is Phil Rudd formerly of AC/DC. 

I hope he gets the book thrown at him.
Be excellent to each other.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic