Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MMA Collaborator's Top Albums of 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 8:32pm
Heh, well, if I'm to be honest I don't think it was a particularly good year in general as I was not really blown away by anything (well, I was blown away by Kayo Dot but it's not metal). But yeah, all of these 4 albums kind of stem from the black metal aesthetic but it only proves how fertile the black metal ground is for all kinds of post modern experimentation. So yes, in that sense I think it was a good year for black metal Smile
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 9:45pm
I can't say I've heard much of the ones that got posted.

The Evergrey…half of the album was very good, the other half was just ok. Not nearly as good an album as In Search Of Truth or Torn.

Never bothered with the Falconer. I own one Falconer album, and it sucks. Chapters From A Vale Forlorn. Never bothered with anything else they've done.

I've been meaning to check out that MindMaze. I have their debut which I thought was decent but needed a bit better production, and the vocals needed a bit more oomph, not that either were bad, mind you. Loved the guitar work on it. He might not be the next Michael Romeo, but his playing and phrasing made me want to hear more.

I really need to listen to a lot more of these.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 1:33am
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

Heh, well, if I'm to be honest I don't think it was a particularly good year in general as I was not really blown aw<span style="line-height: 1.4;">ay by anything (well, I was blown away by Kayo Dot but it's not metal). But yeah, all of these 4 albums kind of stem from the black metal aesthetic but it only proves how fertile the black metal ground is for all kinds of post modern experimentation. So yes, in that sense I think it was a good year for black metal Smile</span>

That's fair.
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 2:10am
Great work, thanks for putting it together Adam.
powermetal2000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powermetal2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 2:23am
To be honest, I only posted that as a wind up.

See it worked.

I really don't like them, though I guess they aren't that bad. I've heard crappier serious bands.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 2:52am

Heh, well, if I'm to be honest I don't think it was a particularly good year in general as I was not really blown away by anything. 

I agree. I didn´t give a single 5 star rating to any 2014 album. Lots of great albums, but not any masterpieces among the albums I listened to.

Edited by UMUR - 02 Jul 2015 at 5:08am
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 3:35am
Great lists everyone! There's quite a few here I don't know that I'm going to have to look up now.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 11:35am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Heh, well, if I'm to be honest I don't think it was a particularly good year in general as I was not really blown away by anything. 

I agree. I didn´t give a single 5 star rating to any 2014 album. Lots of great albums, but not any masterpieces among the albums I listened to.

I gave quite a few 5 stars out...maybe too many. I'm trying to be a bit harder this year with my ratings. Haven't given any 5 stars out for 2015 yet. A couple of albums tempted me, but I held back. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 10:49am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I gave quite a few 5 stars out...maybe too many. I'm trying to be a bit harder this year with my ratings. Haven't given any 5 stars out for 2015 yet. A couple of albums tempted me, but I held back. 
^I wouldn' worry about that too much, Adam :) I know my recent stance on ratings may seem a little bit extreme to some, but... well I really think rating should only indicate how much you liked the album, not how good, bad or "close to/far from perfection" you think it is. If you like something a whole lot, why not give it 5 stars? Again, just my opinion, but I believe it's just more natural to think of ratings as highly subjective addition to the review, not a basis for it.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 4:08pm
I'd simply like to curb my higher ratings a bit as I'm finding myself questioning some of them a lot of the time. Take 2014 releases, I gave 14 out of 110 releases 5 stars, yet some of them I've not once felt inclined to listen to again since finishing up my review and that doesn't sound like 5 stars was really justified to me. I've come to realise that I can still really love an album and give it a 4.5 or even 4 and that ratings like 3.5 and 3 are still pretty respectable, positive ratings. I think part of the reason has been that previously I've tried to cram as many promos into my review schedule as possible (labels and promoters sometimes put the pressure on as well), so I probably haven't judged every release as well as I could. Taking things slower this year has allowed me to do that a whole lot better. I expect I'll have a nagging promoter on my back before long but I'm past caring. I'm a happier listener since changing the way I do things. If they decide to remove me from their promo lists then so be it. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 4:27am
I've always been prudent in dishing out 5 stars as very few albums are that good, most having a few weak areas. Anything from 3.5 stars upwards is still a very good album of course. In 2014 none of the albums I rated got 5 stars - some 4.5 and a lot of 4's though. 2015 is a similar story so far but there are I suspect some great albums to come.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 11:12am
2 bands I was unfamiliar with before this list took me to them, that I've since checked and really impressed by are Hail Spirit Noir and Anubis Gate. Thumbs Up
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powermetal2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Jbird Jbird wrote:

Never bothered with the Falconer. I own one Falconer album, and it sucks. Chapters From A Vale Forlorn. Never bothered with anything else they've done.

Chapters from a Vale Forlorn does not suck! Go wash your mouth out with soap.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 2:24pm
^ Fight! Fight! Fight! <grabs popcorn>
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by powermetal2000 powermetal2000 wrote:

Originally posted by Jbird Jbird wrote:

Chapters from a Vale Forlorn does not suck! Go wash your mouth out with soap.

I think you got a taste of your own medicine there after your Babymetal comment.

Though I do agree with you on this one. Chapters from a Vale Forlorn is an excellent album.
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 1:46pm
Don't get me wrong, I Love me some good power metal, and I've heard tracks from their first album, and tracks from Grime & Grandeur that I really like. But CFAVF just hit me the wrong way. I felt a couple of songs on it were just plain down right silly.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 2:05pm
I'll settle this, power metal is butts

Wink
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I'll settle this, power metal is butts

Wink

Diplomacy level: Expert LOL
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powermetal2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 2:26pm
Power Metal > anything else.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 9:45pm
Too bad I was late in hearing Sevendust's 2014 acoustic album, then I would have had a metal related recommendation. Ouch
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic