FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MMA Collaborator's Top Albums of 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 2:10am
Great work, thanks for putting it together Adam.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 1:33am
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

Heh, well, if I'm to be honest I don't think it was a particularly good year in general as I was not really blown aw<span style="line-height: 1.4;">ay by anything (well, I was blown away by Kayo Dot but it's not metal). But yeah, all of these 4 albums kind of stem from the black metal aesthetic but it only proves how fertile the black metal ground is for all kinds of post modern experimentation. So yes, in that sense I think it was a good year for black metal Smile</span>

That's fair.
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 9:45pm
I can't say I've heard much of the ones that got posted.

The Evergrey…half of the album was very good, the other half was just ok. Not nearly as good an album as In Search Of Truth or Torn.

Never bothered with the Falconer. I own one Falconer album, and it sucks. Chapters From A Vale Forlorn. Never bothered with anything else they've done.

I've been meaning to check out that MindMaze. I have their debut which I thought was decent but needed a bit better production, and the vocals needed a bit more oomph, not that either were bad, mind you. Loved the guitar work on it. He might not be the next Michael Romeo, but his playing and phrasing made me want to hear more.

I really need to listen to a lot more of these.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 8:32pm
Heh, well, if I'm to be honest I don't think it was a particularly good year in general as I was not really blown away by anything (well, I was blown away by Kayo Dot but it's not metal). But yeah, all of these 4 albums kind of stem from the black metal aesthetic but it only proves how fertile the black metal ground is for all kinds of post modern experimentation. So yes, in that sense I think it was a good year for black metal Smile
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 8:12pm
Bartosz, I assume from your list that you thought 2014 was a good year for black metal, eh? Tongue
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Thanks for the hard work Adam, and great lists everybody!  Plenty of albums I never got the chance to check out here.

I'm glad Bartosso listed my 2nd favourite non-metal album of the year (Coffins on Io) as it didn't fit into my list.
Smile
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 7:38pm
I don't consider metal sacred but I also don't think Babymetal scaled more than a cultural anomaly. I don't think you should feel bad for liking them of course, just I agree with Peter in the way that they aren't that enjoyable. That's all. Let's not make a big riot out of it.

Edited by aglasshouse - 01 Jul 2015 at 7:43pm
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

He does sort of have a point.

Get yourself some sense of humour guys, it comes in handy on message boards. And also, if you are implying that an album on my list is in such a bad taste that it provokes food poisoning, you are just rude. 

If you had read my review, you'd have known that imo Babymetal is not a great album in itself but a cool cultural phenomenon that caused a big - and imo a positive - stir in the community. I'm glad that many metalheads, myself included, don't consider metal sacred. To most people Babymetal is just an entertaining distraction from the more serious stuff they normally listen to. It's catchy, well played and there's enough real metal in it to get a non-metalhead into the genre. I mean, seriously, what's not to like ;d

Edited by bartosso - 01 Jul 2015 at 7:57pm
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 6:56pm
Some great stuff here, as expected. Great job by Adam putting it together, of course.

As for my thoughts: I honestly had a hard time picking just 7 albums, because as some folks here would know, I tend to listen to hundreds of albums in a year (my RYM list for 2014 has 328 albums, for example,) so narrowly it down even to 30 would probably be tough. WIth that being said, there's obviously a bunch of stuff here that fell just a bit short of making it for me, most notably Mayan (exactly one spot short of making it,) Anubis Gate, Mindmaze, Evergrey, Dragonforce and Agalloch (not really something most people would expect me to like, but I love most of their albums, for some reason.)
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 6:49pm
Fantastic list!

In my honorable mentions, I would have included Anubis Gate's 'Horizons', but unfortunately I didn't give it another listen in time. Embarrassed 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 5:51pm
He does sort of have a point.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by powermetal2000 powermetal2000 wrote:

Babymetal?

Excuse me while I run and puke.

OUTRAGEOUS-DESU-NYAAAAA! ^^ I WANT THIS MAN BANNED! 
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 5:30pm
I can't stand the stuff either, man, but there's no accounting for taste
powermetal2000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powermetal2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 5:27pm
Babymetal?

Excuse me while I run and puke.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 4:56pm
Thanks everyone. Hope you all find something new that you've missed out on so far. I'm most interested in the latest Helstar myself, which popped up on a few people's lists. 

Now that it's finally all together it's nice to be able to sit back and comment on a few of the albums included that didn't make the cut on mine.

That Falconer album is a beast. I played a few tracks from it last night while working on this and I'm actually wondering if I didn't sell it short by not going to the full five stars when I reviewed it. Much like their earlier Among Beggars and Thieves album it seems to get better every time. 

Glad to see that Lascaille's Shroud got a look in somewhere. Another brilliant album. I like it so much that even though it's a free download I still bought a CD copy (very limited run done through a crowdfunding website). Going to need to give that one a spin again and soon.

I'm not sure why I've never bothered with the new Ne Obliviscaris album, seeing as their debut got a 5 star/100% review from me. I need to change that.

Couple of albums on here from bands I like but I only listened to once despite giving high first impression ratings to: Mastodon and Evergrey.

For me the Sanctuary comeback album isn't as good as their 80's work. They're a fairly new discovery for me though and that is definitely the album I know the least well. 

Accept is an album I need to listen to. Despite not knowing their early stuff at all I enjoyed their previous two albums quite a bit, especially Blood of the Nations. 

Viathyn is another band I need to hear ASAP.

Nice to see Xandria mentioned. I'm a pretty big fan of that album myself but for me it is a step back from their last one which meant it was never going to make the cut for my top 5 when it was such a good year for me. 

Kobra and the Lotus, now there's a another album/band I love. They always seem to end up with a 4.5 star review from me, yet they addict me a lot more than some stuff that got a higher rating due to the initial wow factor, one of the reasons I'm reviewing new stuff at a slower pace now. Awesome band.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 4:47pm
Holy fuck, that's some amazing work! You're the man, Adam Hug
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 4:44pm
Clap Nice one Adam! Thanks for your hard work putting this together.

I always find the diverse choices of these lists interesting as well as a few things to check out that I've missed. Many of other people's choices that didn't make my top 5 I rate highly myself like Behemoth, Exodus, Helstar, Bloodbath, Agalloch and Cruachan to name a few.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 4:29pm
Plaudits indeed. Great job Clap
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 4:10pm
^ http://giantsquid.bandcamp.com/album/minoans
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 4:07pm
Great Work Adam. I know how much Work you had to put into this Clap.

Hmm...I didn´t know a new Giant Squid album was out...nice Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic