MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 80's Metal Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 9:20am
I've heard two of the more recent Accept albums but never any of their older stuff. Need to remedy that for sure. 

Did quite like the Vicious Rumors debut myself by the way, though I think it might have been better if they'd had Carl at that point and a bit better production. Digital Dictators was much better. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Accept - Restless and Wild

I second that album, amazing stuff. 'Russian Roulette' is another one of my favorites from them.

Yep, that's a good one too. Thumbs Up
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I've heard two of the more recent Accept albums but never any of their older stuff. Need to remedy that for sure. 

Did quite like the Vicious Rumors debut myself by the way, though I think it might have been better if they'd had Carl at that point and a bit better production. Digital Dictators was much better. 

Yes, I thought the debut showed promise but it was DD where they really showed what they were capable of.

80's Accept is well worth checking out.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 3:20pm
Any Sortilege, Brainfever, Heavy Load or Cloven Hoof albums.

Hallow's Eve - Tales of Terror
Medieval Steel - s/t
Heathen's Rage - s/t
Steel Angel - And The Angels were Made Of Steel
Apollo Ra - s/t
Titan Force - s/t
Lord - The Second Coming
Artch - Another Return
Dark Quarterer - s/t
Ostrogoth - Full Moon's Eyes
Angus - Track Of Doom
Saracen - Heroes, Saints And Fools
Fifth Angel - s/t
Spitfire - First Attack
Defender - City AD Mortis
Savage Grace - After The Fall From Grace

All lesser known, some forgotten but no less quality than some of the better known bands/releases.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 6:33am
The first four Candlemass albums are well worth a listen too.
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dobbie03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

The first four Candlemass albums are well worth a listen too.

Hell yeah.
Be excellent to each other.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 9:50am
I updated the lists I put in the opening post with a few of my more recent 80's finds. 

Tried early Accept (specifically the song Fast as a Shark) and couldn't get on with Udo Dirkschneider's voice. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 11:25am
^He he yeah he sure is an aquired taste Smile
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 12:08pm
^ Pretty melodic compared to most of what passes today as vocals! LOL
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 10:09am
I've updated my lists with my newest discoveries. Here's a couple from the last week:

Angel Dust - Into the Dark Past (1986) 

German speed/thrash metal. They later became a power metal band but this was my first taste from them. The vocals weren't anything special but suited the style well enough. I checked this one because RYM's speed metal definition listed it as a defining speed metal release along with the likes of Helloween's Walls of Jericho and Blind Guardian's Battalions of Fear.

Original Sin - Sin Will Find You Out (1986) 

US speed metal. I actually only checked this as part of an evaluation for USPM here on MMA, but ended up putting them in as speed metal instead. This act's history was mostly fabricated, including their status as an all female band (only the singer was actually female), but the album itself I think was pretty kickarse 80's speed metal. 
GG2U

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:46pm
I'm surprised Savatage did not get mentioned. 

Saxon
Mercyful Fate & King Diamond
Helstar
Jag Panzer
Sinner
Diamond Head
Warlock
Warlord 
Armored Saint

Possessed
Tankard
Forbidden
Coroner

Dsmackk5 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dsmackk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 12:10pm
I just checked out artillery recently and wasn't really my thing.....and also Kind Diamond is pretty weird IMO ha
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 4:22pm
^ not a big fan of King Diamond myself. I'm very much in a minority though, I think Wink
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 8:38pm
Death Angel's The Ultraviolence was mentioned upthread but I just wanted to reiterate how "80's sounding" that album is compared to most of their thrash contemporaries

and in the complete opposite direction, we have possible the first fully sludge metal album

and some of the birth of black metal as we know it now

great decade for metal and probably the first we really saw of extreme metal + lots of other branching out

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 16 Mar 2020 at 8:47pm
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 9:30pm
Not only did '87 bring the first sludge metal album, but the first industrial metal album too:

If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Dsmackk5 Dsmackk5 wrote:

I just checked out artillery recently and wasn't really my thing.....and also Kind Diamond is pretty weird IMO ha

Love King Diamond and Artillery though I think they got better with age where as King Diamond did his best stuff in the 80's.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Not only did '87 bring the first sludge metal album, but the first industrial metal album too:

This one is new to me, I like it.  Interesting how much both bands (this and Melvins) seem to owe to Swans' first 2 albums

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 17 Mar 2020 at 10:13am
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:25pm
^Yeah, I think Slab!'s frontman Stephen Dray has mentioned Swans as an influence. The whole album's fantastic, probably my favorite industrial metal album after Godflesh's Songs of Love and Hate. Their second album is pretty good too, though a bit less abrasive.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Dsmackk5 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dsmackk5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 4:43pm
Gotcha icic
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 2:44am
I had a listen to Meanstreak's sole album yesterday. I have heard it a long time ago but too long to have any kind of familiarity. I found it really quite solid USPM/Thrash Metal.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/meanstreak(united-states)/roadkill

Today the band is best remembered because three of its members all married members of Dream Theater. I remain the only rating on MMA for their lone album, which is a shame.

It's on Spotify. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic