0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 5:48am
I don't mind 'em myself but it's okay to Really Hate Korn. Although, even to improve the sound,  inflicting impalement on the drummer would be taking it a bit too far LOL

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 8:04am
Well they are definitely not my cup of tea either, but just try and keep a balance between not being too disrespectful towards the band/their fans, and having some fun, and we´re fine Smile.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 10:18am
I try not to be too harsh on those nu metal bands because I think for many people of my generation they were an entry point into metal. At my early teens I used to listen to Slipknot, System of A Down and Korn alongside Metallica and Judas Priest because I was new to this thing and it was the only metal I knew. And well, look at me now LOL 

They are barely decent in comparison with some stuff I discovered later (Opeth being one of the first good bands I still listen to today) but I would be a hypocrite if I said Korn is a cancer on metal's colon... well okay, I've checked some of their more recent material and it really, really SUCKS, but the pre-2003 stuff is decent for the most part. There's also no denying their sound used to be pretty unique and their vocalist has a really creepy voice that fits the music perfectly. 
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 11:16am
I personally really like Korn, but of course everyone has their own opinion and it's okay to hate them. 

I and probably the majority of members on the site hate Limp Bizkit, and I wish they weren't on the site, but alas, they must. LOL

Edited by Unitron - 06 Jul 2015 at 11:16am
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 11:39am
There's alot I can't stand from Korn but I believe that they have enough good content to be enjoyable.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Why is this poll even here? Korn isn't a metal band.
These comments confuse me. If Korn isn't metal, what do you suggest them to be? I've heard their stuff and it's clearly metal. Do you dislike them and think that they shouldn't be here or is there a reason why you think this?
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 4:26pm
I think Vim Fuego answered it here, Thatcher - "I'm all for inclusiveness, but I just really REALLY Hate Korn!"

Quite a few sites don't judge Korn to be metal for some reason. In fact searching on the web it seems that EM put them up temporarily as an April Fools joke one year.  

As for me, the fact that we do (and should) include Korn gives us the makings of a better site. I say "makings" as they're about six times our size in terms of artists and the rate we're adding suggests it's going to be a long old haul!
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Why is this poll even here? Korn isn't a metal band.
These comments confuse me. If Korn isn't metal, what do you suggest them to be? I've heard their stuff and it's clearly metal. Do you dislike them and think that they shouldn't be here or is there a reason why you think this?
There are a lot of reasons why Korn wasn't considered metal back when they first came out, and why nu-metal in general wasn't considered metal either, none of which I'm going to go into now because metal has been redefined by popular usage. Pretty much every genre of metal faced the same thing as it developed.

I suppose I better own up and say I bought Korn's debut when it came out, but sold it for three bucks and thought I'd done well out of the deal. Did the same with Coal Chamber, Deftones and Slipknot. Luckily by then I'd learned my lesson and never bought anything by Limp Bizkit, Mudvayne or Disturbed. It did mean I missed out on System Of A Down until recently, but I've made up for that since. I gave nu-metal a fair chance back in the 90s. It just made my ears vomit, that's all.

I still like sniping at nu-metallers because they very often bite back, and don't know their metal history. I'm just old and cantankerous I suppose.LOL
powermetal2000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powermetal2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 8:32am
I accept that some alternative/nu metal is indeed metal and I also enjoy some of it (usually groups which do not use rap vocals). I also think a good portion of groups called alt/nu metal are actually just heavier rock bands that got incorrectly branded by the mainstream media and the tagging stuck so is now history. Korn? No idea which side they fall on. never liked them and so never paid any real attention to the details of their music. I will say though that I never considered an act like Linkin Park to be metal.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by powermetal2000 powermetal2000 wrote:

I accept that some alternative/nu metal is indeed metal and I also enjoy some of it (usually groups which do not use rap vocals). I also think a good portion of groups called alt/nu metal are actually just heavier rock bands that got incorrectly branded by the mainstream media and the tagging stuck so is now history. Korn? No idea which side they fall on. never liked them and so never paid any real attention to the details of their music. I will say though that I never considered an act like Linkin Park to be metal.

You're quite right about how some of those bands got labelled metal. What I really hate about Korn though is how absolutely clueless they have always been about metal. Bruce Dickinson was tipped to support them at one stage during his solo years, but the band didn't want him because his image was "too heavy metal". And Johnathan Davis once called Cradle of Filth an grindcore band.Censored

The thing is, if you look at most nu-metal bands' influences, there's not much metal there. There are a couple of exceptions, like Deftones and Slipknot, but most of them got their rock influence from the likes of Faith No More, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Rage Against The Machine, none of which are what you'd call really heavy. Scott Ian reckoned Anthrax had a bit of an influence with "I'm The Man" and "Bring The Noise", but I haven't ever read many of those bands proclaiming any great love for Anthrax.

Sorry, ranting again...Embarrassed
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 7:50pm
Oddly enough, I've never really saw Linkin Park as metal either until I came to this site and noticed they were on here. Don't hate me, but I do like some of their stuff. Embarrassed

Anyways, how did a lot of nu-metal bands not take influence from other kinds of metal? With the nu-metal bands that I listen to often, Korn, Coal Chamber, Mudvayne, and System of a Down, I've always heard a strong groove metal influence. 
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 11:39pm
I've always just gone by who these bands mention in interviews. I've seen Iron Maiden mentioned in a Deftones interview, and System of a Down definitely have a metal influence, but others seem to have got all their inspiration from hip-hop and just added a few guitars. 

And groove metal really is a shit name for a genre.
powermetal2000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powermetal2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Oddly enough, I've never really saw Linkin Park as metal either until I came to this site and noticed they were on here.

To be fair even though I don't consider them metal at all, it's usually only their early stuff that others call nu-metal. Even if they have to be listed here on MMA, I don't think all their stuff should be tagged as metal personally. They turned alt/pop rock later, which isn't the same as alt metal.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by powermetal2000 powermetal2000 wrote:

Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Oddly enough, I've never really saw Linkin Park as metal either until I came to this site and noticed they were on here.

To be fair even though I don't consider them metal at all, it's usually only their early stuff that others call nu-metal. Even if they have to be listed here on MMA, I don't think all their stuff should be tagged as metal personally. They turned alt/pop rock later, which isn't the same as alt metal.

There was a really funny incident on one of the music shows here on TV back in 2001 when Linkin Park and Pantera were in New Zealand at the same time. The interviewer who talked to both bands (not at the same time) was not a metal fan at all, and so was completely clueless about Pantera. First up, he had a very nice standard sort of pop star interview with Linkin Park, with lots of laughs and a bit of fun, all very nice and harmless.

Then came the Pantera interview.

He asked something dumb about Phil's near death experience with the herion overdose and got told it was ancient history and to move on to something else. He asked Phil Anselmo if they had caught up with Linkin Park or something equally as stupid. Dimebag was in the back of the camera shot and immediately started pissing himself laughing, and Anselmo just went off! There was a lot of bleeping and very angry yelling as Phil proceeded to explain to the interviewer that Linkin Park were in no way metal, that Pantera didn't care about shit like Linkin Park and would not associate with pussy assed mofos like that anyway. Having done the odd hostile interview myself, I've never seen a subject so angry or an interviewer so scared/humiliated!

The point I suppose I'm trying to make is Pantera didn't consider Linkin Park metal, and Linkin Park didn't seem to consider themselves metal either.Smile I'm not suggesting they get removed from the data base or anything though.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 4:14pm
I actually like LP. Hybrid Theory was probably one of the first nu metal albums I heard and at the time it sounded fresh and different. Is it metal? It is to me. By the fourth album though, the music was certainly alt rock and should be tagged as such.
The LP entry here as an aside is not complete, if any of the Alt Metal team fancy reviewing it and rechecking the placements
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

I actually like LP. Hybrid Theory was probably one of the first nu metal albums I heard and at the time it sounded fresh and different. Is it metal? It is to me. By the fourth album though, the music was certainly alt rock and should be tagged as such.
The LP entry here as an aside is not complete, if any of the Alt Metal team fancy reviewing it and rechecking the placements

Same here, it was different at the time as was a lot of nu-metal. I haven't listened to them in a while, but ironically my favorite album from them 'A Thousand Suns' I remember having little to no metal. Would it be safe for me to move that?
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 5:09pm
I'm not on the team but I'd say yes. A good album, but not metal.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2015 at 7:52pm
^Moved it. Unless someone else wants to look through their albums, I can take a listen once I'm in the mood for Linkin Park.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic