MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What Made Alice Cooper band unique in metal music?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Made Alice Cooper band unique in metal music?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Made Alice Cooper band unique in metal music?
    Posted: 28 May 2015 at 4:55pm
Listening to early albums by Alice Cooper (the band) like Killer, are not just a great listen nor full of fun, but also a really right working ununcompromicing unit. Oiled to rock perfection, some amazingly sionister riffs, creative bass playing, some amazing riffs, 4 of the albums are IMO nigh masterpieces ( some are true masterpices) Killer and Billion Dollar Baby are wow.

But i read they did influence both early punk, metal and theatrical rock.

How did the eclectisisme of Alice, influence metal?
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 7:26am
I never really found Alice Cooper to be unique honestly. I found many more bands in their area that were and are more interesting than them. They had some artful moments, yes, but for an early metal/hard rock band they are pretty uninteresting.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 8:16am
Billion Dollar Babies is unique, surely? How many other bands can mix politics, murder, necrophilia, love songs, revenge, male rape and a visit to the dentist in one album without using death metal vocals Big smile

"He looks in my mouth and then he starts to gloat
He says my teeth are O.K.
But my gums gotta go"

They were also more progressive than many give them credit for, too.

Edited by Bosh66 - 29 May 2015 at 8:16am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 9:37am
Yeah they have some pretty progressive moments on the early albums, but that´s not the focus of their music, which is rather hard rocking riffs, attitude filled vocals, and pounding rhythms.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 10:30am
I won't deny they have some great prowess in their musicianship, and indeed enjoy some of their songs, but as a whole I don't think I'd ever listen to them in great measure.

Edited by aglasshouse - 29 May 2015 at 10:31am
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 10:32am
I personally enjoy 'School's Out', but I've always thought the lyrics were pretty weak. I haven't heard much Alice Cooper beyond that.

Edited by Unitron - 29 May 2015 at 10:32am
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 11:08am
They were unique in how they married the glam rock imagery with the hard rock sound and added progressive elements. I love the early albums from "Love It To Death" to "Billion Dollar Babies." Great quality albums with lots of musical elements.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 6:02am
Halo of Flies flies in the face of prog metall, in a good day...
Valdis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 11:20am
Apart from the aforementioned comments, I think that what made them unique was the 'shock rock'. They took to the limit this genre. I mean, their performances are sick: executions, hangings, monsters, snakes...

Rely on nothing under heaven.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic